Should I do it??

CMTJ

TJ Enthusiast
My kids YJ is running 33's with stock 3.07 gears. Am I wasting my time if I put in whole front and rear assemblies that have stock 4.11's? I'm talking change out the whole housing not just the gears so it won't be that hard. Will his speed increase enough to make a difference? Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I would only put that kind of dough in to it if the rest of the YJ was really nice.

I would only put that kind of dough in to it if the rest of the YJ was really nice.

X2. It will make a big difference though for sure.

But if it's in just average condition, it's probably not worth it. Also not worth it unless he plans on holding onto it a while.

My kids YJ is running 33's with stock 3.07 gears. Am I wasting my time if I put in whole front and rear assemblies that have stock 4.11's? I'm talking change out the whole housing not just the gears so it won't be that hard. Will his speed increase enough to make a difference? Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Find a junk yard with a YJ wrangler with a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine. The axles should have 4.10 gears in the front and rear differentials. Buy just the ring, pinion, and carrier out of each. Should be a lot cheaper than a whole axle assembly.

Find a junk yard with a YJ wrangler with a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine. The axles should have 4.10 gears in the front and rear differentials. Buy just the ring, pinion, and carrier out of each. Should be a lot cheaper than a whole axle assembly.
Not sure about that, unless he can do his own gear set up.

The rears are coming out of a 4cyl Jeep. My son has the 4.0 5spd in his. I do not feel confident enough to just do a gear swap. Yes he loves his Jeep and plans on keeping it as of now. The story is, the kids next door will sell me the 4cly Jeep for $2400 and I was thinking just swap the rears and resell it at a lower price. Its not a bad ride just has the 4 cyl and no lift unlike my kids. Plus being somewhat retired it would give me something to do lol.

I have a better chance of winning the lottery then finding jeep in a junkyard here in Jacksonville.

Jeeps don't die, they just keep on Jeepin".:cunaooooo: The only ones I've seen that are not on the highways/roads are those that are no longer running but the owner keeps it as if they simply cannot let go of them. It's a Jeep thing.:rolleyes:

Junkyards in Chicago does not have wranglers either.
I roam around junkyards for years and if I find a wrecked one, parts does not last long.
Guys will even buy it wrecked as-is and chop it for parts to Craigslist.

I am in central Florida same here never see a jeep in junk yard. I don’t know where jeeps go to die
I have a better chance of winning the lottery then finding jeep in a junkyard here in Jacksonville.
They don't go here, either. I have not seen a Wrangler in any auto recyclers around here in decades.
Junkyards in Chicago does not have wranglers either.
I roam around junkyards for years and if I find a wrecked one, parts does not last long.
Guys will even buy it wrecked as-is and chop it for parts to Craigslist.

So odd to me. Alabama has a more than a few in the junk yards here.

Maybe checkout this thread.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/looking-for-used-parts-for-your-tj.5813/