Should I find a set of chains for snow wheeling?

DeadStang

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I wheel in my JK with 37s, but I don't think it matters much for my question (the LJ is a pavement princess currently). I keep seeing pictures of guys with their Jeeps chained up when they post their snow wheeling pix and I am wondering if I should try to find a set for my Jeep? I would like to get out in the snow a bit this winter and need some guidance... If I need a set, where the heck do I buy them? The local tire shop doesn't seem to stock the cable/chain type that I have for my truck daily driver. Thanks.

I wheel in my JK with 37s, but I don't think it matters much for my question (the LJ is a pavement princess currently). I keep seeing pictures of guys with their Jeeps chained up when they post their snow wheeling pix and I am wondering if I should try to find a set for my Jeep? I would like to get out in the snow a bit this winter and need some guidance... If I need a set, where the heck do I buy them? The local tire shop doesn't seem to stock the cable/chain type that I have for my truck daily driver. Thanks.
The goal is to air down as much as possible and "float" on top of the snow. Chains would dig in and do the opposite. Assuming you're wheeling in deep snow, chains would likely do more harm than good.

@tworley @jjvw @toximus I'm sure have more experience snow wheeling given their climate so maybe they'll chime in.

I like to Carry chains along. When laying down first tracks I like to air down a lot and float around. Once a few rigs go through the trail and it starts packing down then re freezes over it becomes a skating rink on the narrow mountain trails with steep consequences if you go over the edge. So I carry my chains for those instances and also to aid in recoveries. I’d rather have them and not need them than need them and wind up in trouble

I realize all wheels and all tire types/makes are different, but is there some "rule of thumb" for airing down? I do not have bead locks and haven't gone below about 14psi. I have no reason for that number, it's just how low I've gone without issues and I seem to make it everywhere I want to go. With those 37s, they are so freaking heavy to deal with that I've been hesitant to go very low as not to damage the wheel(s) or a tire or something. Maybe I'm being too much of a weenie?

I've never used chains on the Jeep and I couldn't now without risking tearing up the shocks. But they work well on cargo vans and big box trucks in deep snow. Forward motion wasn't so much the problem as being to steer. But those vehicles were all RWD.

I realize all wheels and all tire types/makes are different, but is there some "rule of thumb" for airing down? I do not have bead locks and haven't gone below about 14psi. I have no reason for that number, it's just how low I've gone without issues and I seem to make it everywhere I want to go. With those 37s, they are so freaking heavy to deal with that I've been hesitant to go very low as not to damage the wheel(s) or a tire or something. Maybe I'm being too much of a weenie?

You're being a weenie. A big one. :)

• Haha
Reactions: DeadStang
On a JK 12 would likely be fine. I go to 8psi on my TJ but it's much lighter.

Reactions: DeadStang
Heres my favourite all chained up video. This was his 4th run, he backed up 3 times onto the ferry landing before he found traction. The backing up with supers was most impressive. I know this is not snow wheelin' but it is all chained up and fully locked...

Reactions: PCO6
I've used chains when WINTER wheeling but this was on a trail that had ICE on it and the snow was frozen over. You weren't gunna get any traction with just airing your tries down. So my answer is MAYBE. But if you drive any mountain passes technically you are required to carry chains. All semis have to have chains from Nov 1 to Apr 1 in WA and I think OR. But even car/trucks/SUVs are required to carry chains. Most times they will not require you to chain up if you have 4WD/AWD but if you get into an accident they will write you a ticket for losing control and leaving the road and driving to fast for conditions.

As I said the only time I've ever chained up while wheeling was when it was a solid sheet of ice. We had two rigs run into each other because they'd lost control of their rigs.

Reactions: Rescue6 and Alex01
Heres my favourite all chained up video. This was his 4th run, he backed up 3 times onto the ferry landing before he found traction. The backing up with supers was most impressive. I know this is not snow wheelin' but it is all chained up and fully locked...
If you would've pushed he walks right up no tire spin.
Instead taking pictures...

Sigh

🚬😎

I have chains for my mine front and back and have done some snow wheeling. Here's the biggest catch...you need to be aired up to use the chains properly and aired down when without. Kind of a pain in the ass to be honest. Keep in mind that this is with diamond chains...the nasty stabby buggers that'll make the TJ climb a tree. Can't give any advice on other types or cables.

On the other hand when you've slid off into a ditch and can only get one chain on and it gets you out, it's pretty impressive.

• Love
Reactions: NOTNSUV and Wildman
I have chains for my mine front and back and have done some snow wheeling. Here's the biggest catch...you need to be aired up to use the chains properly and aired down when without. Kind of a pain in the ass to be honest. Keep in mind that this is with diamond chains...the nasty stabby buggers that'll make the TJ climb a tree. Can't give any advice on other types or cables.

On the other hand when you've slid off into a ditch and can only get one chain on and it gets you out, it's pretty impressive.

Damn right.

Quick story. During the winter here I always have 4 chains in the back of the Jeep, mainly because I have a monster long driveway and use a 7 foot plow on it. Buddy always teases me as he actually plows snow for a living and has only ever used two chains. However, there was this ONE time on our steep road down to the highway where it was so icy, the Jeep slid into the ditch and I could literally not stand up. Had to reach over the seat, grab the chains and use two as traction device for me so I didn't break my neck trying to get the other two on the Jeep. Glad I had 'em!

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
Quick story. During the winter here I always have 4 chains in the back of the Jeep, mainly because I have a monster long driveway and use a 7 foot plow on it. Buddy always teases me as he actually plows snow for a living and has only ever used two chains. However, there was this ONE time on our steep road down to the highway where it was so icy, the Jeep slid into the ditch and I could literally not stand up. Had to reach over the seat, grab the chains and use two as traction device for me so I didn't break my neck trying to get the other two on the Jeep.

I can relate..... I only have 1 set of chains for my truck but in the spring when it starts to thaw around here it can get BAD sometimes.

I don't have any chains for my Jeep. The snow wheeling trips I've been on with the club, no one used chains, just aired way down. This wasn't ice though... it was snow, new and deep.

in regards to air pressure, I air down my non-beadlock 35's to 8psi on rocks, and 4psi in the snow. Usually snow wheeling there isn't much to knock them off the bead :)

I don't have any chains for my Jeep. The snow wheeling trips I've been on with the club, no one used chains, just aired way down. This wasn't ice though... it was snow, new and deep.

in regards to air pressure, I air down my non-beadlock 35's to 8psi on rocks, and 4psi in the snow. Usually snow wheeling there isn't much to knock them off the bead :)
I'm still on 9.5 inch wide tires and have only had the courage to go to 12 psi in the dry or snow. Now that winter is here I should make sure I can actually get my spare off the back and try some of these lower pressures. What do you think the lowest I can go with a skinny tire?

Not directed at you, but just advice in general - I have never used chains snow wheeling...only aired down...so can't give direct experience there, but would have to agree that if the snow is deeper than your clearance, you are going to dig yourself to a standstill in an awful hurry.

Oh, that brings up one final issue I DID have snow wheeling. Was bombing around pushing through the snow in my stock height TJ once and then found myself needing 4LO. Nope, wasn't available...the snow packed into ice all around the shift linkage via the shovel underneath. A cable shifter in this case would have been a godsend.

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman
From what I have found they make chains for up to a 35" tire or if you like spend a few days hanging out near a mountain pass and pick up the chains thrown by semi drivers who don't know how to chain up. Then get a set of chain pliers and make your own.