Should I get sway bar disconnects?

KimsJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Now that I have started to go off roading, I have been thinking about several things to get for the Jeep. One of those things are sway bar quick disconnects. I am just curious to know, do I really need them? I am stock height and I don't "plan" on going over things to tall.

If it is suggested to be a good idea to get them, which one do you all recommend? 99 TJ stock with 31" tires.

Thanks.

Edit to add, I think I need to replace my original ones anyway. LOL

A11F93F7-3777-492D-9962-595A8F0C979B.jpeg

Last edited:
I would get some, I think some friends of mine used to run JKS. And I think they were pretty good, not sure about nowadays, we’ve all either gone to anti-rock type stuff or removed them completely

Reactions: KimsJeep
Yes, definitely get them. The JKS are very nice. We run those on my wife's TJ. It is not just flex that is the benefit. It greatly increases the comfort of the ride off road. Also, if you are not airing down your tires off road, that will increase traction and comfort as well. With 31 inch tires, you could probably air down to about 15 psi, as long as you have a compressor to air back up before going back on the road. Experiment and see what you prefer.

Long distances over rough gravel roads are nicer with the front disconnected. That alone is enough reason if you like to spend the day wandering and exploring.

When I had them, my disconnects were homemade modified stock links. Whatever you end up with, make sure they are tight connections when in use. Many of the options I have seen that use telescoping links look like they would move, made noise and eventually wallow out.

Reactions: Fughuert
I don't have any disconnects on mine and I "think" my TJ is fine off road.

Of course I could be wrong on that. My CJ5 never even had a sway bar. I loved it off road, and didn't really have problems on road that I remember. Ahh..the good old days, have I mentioned leaf springs and that I still love them?

Reactions: Flivver250
Now that I have started to go off roading, I have been thinking about several things to get for the Jeep. One of those things are sway bar quick disconnects. I am just curious to know, do I really need them?
It depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. If convenience/ease of disconnect/reconnect is it, & you off-road enough to utilize that, then you may consider that a need. If increased performance is what you’re looking for, they don’t help any more than disconnecting your stock links helps. Once your sway bar is disconnected you’ll appreciate the difference in performance regardless of what links are tied up there.

Another vote for JKS. They're a lot less expensive than Anti-Rock, though a lot of people swear by AR. Not saying it's bad, just pricey.
Apples and oranges comparing disconnects to an anti-rock, one just makes it easier to do what you can already do without it, the other changes the characteristics of the experience. Whether those changes are worthwhile or not is up to the individual user.

I had the same setup as you til a few weeks ago and disconnecting the front sway bar helps a ton even on the mild trails we have in ct. Jeep felt more stable on side hills.

The sway bar wasn’t allowing my shocks to fully travel either so after disconnecting my sway bar I was able to go much faster down rough very dirt roads

Instead of disconnects I just carried an electric impact, T55 socket, and 18mm wrench, just place the sway bar links over the spring perches. I actually don’t run front sway bar now but my shocks are a on the stiff side.

It takes a few minutes to disconnect the first time just try it out before you spend money.

Being disconnected helps keep your tires on the ground, which helps maintain traction, which allows you to overcome obstacles with less effort.
True, you do not need to buy quick disconnects, the factory ones can be unbolted. You're just paying for a convenience. If you're planning a lift, some kits include them.

Yes. FSR's are so much more comfortable when disco'd. I've had JKS's version for 12 years and they are still going strong.

When you did Frank Raines did you disconnect your stock sway bar ?

No, I also didn't disconnect today doing some off roading up in the hills either. Honestly, I have never tried to take mine off. I just figured if it is something that will make a big difference, then it would probably be easier for me to have something that is somewhat easier to disconnect, instead of having to try to unbolt it all the time.

On another note, how hard is it to reconnect them?? It sounds like this could be something that would make me feel more comfortable on certain terrain. I don't like the feeling of going off camber to much, and if disconnecting would help on that, it may be something I would benefit from. I just don't want to disconnect them and not be able to reconnect them. Is there any particular tools (besides wrenches if I just try to disconnect my current ones) I would need to get them off and back on?

Yes, definitely get them. The JKS are very nice. We run those on my wife's TJ. It is not just flex that is the benefit. It greatly increases the comfort of the ride off road. Also, if you are not airing down your tires off road, that will increase traction and comfort as well. With 31 inch tires, you could probably air down to about 15 psi, as long as you have a compressor to air back up before going back on the road. Experiment and see what you prefer.

I have been airing down, but I have only been going down to 20psi. I was just commenting to my friend today that next time I will try 18 like the other girls are running. I will try the 15 instead. It may have helped a bit more on the little rocky areas we hit. :D

Reactions: JMT
No, I also didn't disconnect today doing some off roading up in the hills either. Honestly, I have never tried to take mine off. I just figured if it is something that will make a big difference, then it would probably be easier for me to have something that is somewhat easier to disconnect, instead of having to try to unbolt it all the time.

On another note, how hard is it to reconnect them?? It sounds like this could be something that would make me feel more comfortable on certain terrain. I don't like the feeling of going off camber to much, and if disconnecting would help on that, it may be something I would benefit from. I just don't want to disconnect them and not be able to reconnect them. Is there any particular tools (besides wrenches if I just try to disconnect my current ones) I would need to get them off and back on?

I disconnected my stock sway bar for 3 years then jumped to a curry anti sway bar. Your Jeep will perform amazing if you disconnect your sway bar.
Not hard to re connect.

If you are concerned about off camber, then a sway bar is preferable over disconnected. Though it is also beneficial to learn how difficult it really is to roll a TJ.