Should I get sway bar disconnects?

Yes, get them, it will help you clear obstacles. I see stock TJs and JKS without them lifting tires all the time on off camber stuff. It just gives you more articulation and it will help

Reactions: KimsJeep
If you are concerned about off camber, then a sway bar is preferable over disconnected. Though it is also beneficial to learn how difficult it really is to roll a TJ.

I'm not sure if that word was the one to use. If disconnecting the links help keep the body of the Jeep level when going over a rock on one side, and level ground on the other, that is what I would like. I know it won't help going up a slanted slope. I try to avoid those as much as I can. I just have a little fear of that do to rolling my VW Bug when I was younger. So when the girls I go wheeling with drive up a slope and their jeeps are leaning, I stay on the flat trail. LOL

I think I will just try disconnecting my current links, at home, LOL, just to make sure I can do it. Then do it the next time I go wheeling. If I like how it feels and performs, I will ask for the JKS's for Christmas. :D

Thanks for all the replies you guy's. Makes learning about this stuff nice. :D I am have a blast off roading so I appreciate all the info you guys give!! :D

Reactions: LJ Jesse
I have been airing down, but I have only been going down to 20psi. I was just commenting to my friend today that next time I will try 18 like the other girls are running. I will try the 15 instead. It may have helped a bit more on the little rocky areas we hit. :D
Try 10-12, that will really scare them. You’ll be fine though. The footprint really only starts to grow about 15

I'm not sure if that word was the one to use. If disconnecting the links help keep the body of the Jeep level when going over a rock on one side, and level ground on the other, that is what I would like. I know it won't help going up a slanted slope. I try to avoid those as much as I can. I just have a little fear of that do to rolling my VW Bug when I was younger. So when the girls I go wheeling with drive up a slope and their jeeps are leaning, I stay on the flat trail. LOL

I think I will just try disconnecting my current links, at home, LOL, just to make sure I can do it. Then do it the next time I go wheeling. If I like how it feels and performs, I will ask for the JKS's for Christmas. :D

Thanks for all the replies you guy's. Makes learning about this stuff nice. :D I am have a blast off roading so I appreciate all the info you guys give!! :D
Oh yeah, your stick. Just make some homemade ones. $6. There’s a how to on this somewhere around here

If disconnecting the links help keep the body of the Jeep level when going over a rock on one side, and level ground on the other, that is what I would like.

Yes, having the antisway bar disconnected will help do exactly that. It will help keep the Jeep more level when one front tire is on a rock and the other is on the ground. Let us know your impressions once you try it.

I decided to get quick disconnects when I got tired of hunting down whatever size torx bit I needed to remove the pins, and then having to stash all those parts somewhere for when I wanted a sway bar again.

Quick disconnects don't even need tools. I just get down there and wiggle and pull 2 little pins and I'm flexing my jeep in less than a few minutes.

Yes, having the antisway bar disconnected will help do exactly that. It will help keep the Jeep more level when one front tire is on a rock and the other is on the ground. Let us know your impressions once you try it.

Kinda. Antisway bars work to keep the body parallel to the axle it is connected to. The factory front bar is stiff enough to do that with greater force than the softer factory rear.

Disconnecting doesn't keep the Jeep more level to anything any more than sway bars keep a vehicle more level to anything. In the case of disconnecting the stiff factory front, all that is happening is that the body is able to move independently of the front axle. The rear antisway bar is still working to keep the rear axle parallel to the body, just not as forcefully as the stiffer front.

Interesting things happen when two sway bars of similar resistance to sway are working together (or against each other) on both axles. That is where softer, tunable fronts like the Antirock fit in. They have nothing to do with convenience and everything to do with the way movement is controlled.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJim
I made my own from the stock links. Just took the nut off the bolt drilled a hole in the bolt installed a big washer and a hitch pin. Works perfect been that while for a while now. I’ll take a picture when I get a chance.

Reactions: DWR and KimsJeep
I have a set of JKS that I can no longer use after putting a lift on my 98 TJ. Nothing wrong with them at all, they are just too short and taking up room in my garage. Pay shipping and they are yours.

My only ask.... don't resell them. If you don't use/want them gift them to another jeeper.

PM for details.

I have a set of JKS that I can no longer use after putting a lift on my 98 TJ. Nothing wrong with them at all, they are just too short and taking up room in my garage. Pay shipping and they are yours.

My only ask.... don't resell them. If you don't use/want them gift them to another jeeper.

PM for details.

This is an awesome offer! Don't worry, I will use them for sure!!
PM'd you!

I always thought this made for a good visual on the benefits of disconnecting your front sway bar. We'll pretend the forks are just a very large rock or ledge that needs crossed,k.
First pic is connected. Notice where the front tire sits in relation to the fender.
DSCN0929.JPG

Also, notice how stuffed the opposite rear tires is.
DSCN0932.JPG

In this pic, we are disconnected. See how much more stuffed the front tire is in the fender, and now the opposing rear tire isn't nearly as stuffed. the body of the jeep is more level and less tippy.
DSCN0935.JPG

DSCN0938.JPG

I always thought this made for a good visual on the benefits of disconnecting your front sway bar. We'll pretend the forks are just a very large rock or ledge that needs crossed,k.
First pic is connected. Notice where the front tire sits in relation to the fender.
View attachment 125516
View attachment 125517
In this pic, we are disconnected. See how much more stuffed the front tire is in the fender, and now the opposing rear tire isn't nearly as stuffed. the body of the jeep is more level and less tippy.
View attachment 125521
View attachment 125524

Cool, thanks for the great pics of the differences. I can't wait to try it out next time I go wheeling!! :D

Reactions: LJ Jesse
View attachment 125516
View attachment 125517
View attachment 125521
View attachment 125524
What is happening is that when the front is connected and the tire is lifted, the front sway bar is keeping the axle and body parallel. The rear sway bar is being over powered by the front.

When the front is disconnected, the front axle is able to move independently of the body. Now the rear sway bar is able to keep the rear axle more parallel to the body.

In a more ideal off-road setup, both F&R sway bars would have similar resistance so that the axle movements relative to the body would be more similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJim and bobthetj03
View attachment 125516
View attachment 125517
View attachment 125521
View attachment 125524

Reopening an old thread instead of posting a new thread. I read through this one a few times but not totally sure... does front sway bar disconnects help in off camber situations? Does it reduce the possibility of rolling or tipping the Jeep on its side?

Reopening an old thread instead of posting a new thread. I read through this one a few times but not totally sure... does front sway bar disconnects help in off camber situations? Does it reduce the possibility of rolling or tipping the Jeep on its side?

A disconnected sway bar in an off camber scenario will lead to more lean.

What is happening is that when the front is disconnected and the tire is lifted, the front sway bar is keeping the axle and body parallel. The c rear sway bar is being over powered by the front.

When the front is disconnected, the front axle is able to move independently of the body. Now the rear sway bar is able to keep the rear axle more parallel to the body.

In a more ideal off-road setup, both F&R sway bars would have similar resistance so that the axle movements relative to the body would be more similar.
In the first phrase I think you mean when the front is connected. Right?

Just in case someone is confused reading it in the future.

Reactions: jjvw
A disconnected sway bar in an off camber scenario will lead to more lean.
What do you mean by that?

If the front antisway bar links are disconnected the TJ will tilt more, when the one tire is lifted? (than when it is connected?)

I think I am understanding something wrong.

What do you mean by that?

If the front antisway bar links are disconnected the TJ will tilt more, when the one tire is lifted? (than when it is connected?)

I think I am understanding something wrong.

During a simple lean like this...
Screenshot_20220123-125832_Chrome.jpg

... the body will lean further when one or both antisway bars are disconnected.

All of this is much easier if you remember that an antiswway bar works to keep the body/frame parallel to it's axle.

During a simple lean like this...
View attachment 304439
... the body will lean further when one or both antisway bars are disconnected.

All of this is much easier if you remember that an antiswway bar works to keep the body/frame parallel to it's axle.
I thought that the body would stay more level when the front antiswaybar is disconnected.