Should I give up on this TJ?

Manatsu103

I recently blindly bought a TJ, without looking at the frame it much of anything else. It was sold to me very overpriced and I was the fool who bought it. I love Jeeps, the spirit and the freedom of it all. I have put around 4K into my Tj, new sway bar links, new struts, new tires, new stabilizer, alignment, and it still vibrates over 65 for some reason. I took it to a reputable jeep dealer in town to completely inspect it and they say it should be better yet it still vibrates... should I take it back? Also the steering is only straight on flat roads. If the road is tilted my wheel wants to turn toward the tilt... also, when crawling under it there are bad rust spots on the frame. Not really the main part thank god but enough to have me worried. I'm posting pics. I love my tj and I don't want to give her up but in your guys expert opinions, should I? Here are pics of the rusted frame... most of it appears to be surface rust except for where these two bolts are. They are the worst places...

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

Why the panic? You are already into it, I have seen rust a ton worse than that! I would re-mediate it as best as you can even if it just means wire wheeling it off and spraying it with some por15 or Eastwoods rust encapsulate. You paid what you paid..non of them are cheap anyway. I am sure if you start a thread here and give all the specifics and you will get some great direction about the vibes. Summer is almost here and you have one of the best summer vehicles.

Reactions: cjaama and Starrs
This is one of those things where had I just bought it blindly and discovered all these issues, I probably would have tried to sell it and break even. However, now that you're into it for as much as you are, I don't think it makes much sense to sell it, especially if you really like it! It's probably just a TJ that wasn't properly maintained or cared for, in which case it needs some work (and maintenance) to get it to where it should be.

Reactions: Starrs
Another thing to consider is these are much more expensive to own if you can't/won't do at least some of the work yourself. The work you listed should not have added up to $4K, so hopefully you a bunch more done and could share that with us.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Honestly unless you take it somewhere to get it undercoated very well or do it yourself, Ohio winters are going to wreak havoc on that frame unless you get it treated. Wire wheel the crap out of it and spray everything with por 15 or rustoleum rust preventor. Looks like a very nice Sahara that just needs a clean up. Don’t lose hope just yet. 4K is hard to recoup.

I recently blindly bought a TJ, without looking at the frame it much of anything else. It was sold to me very overpriced and I was the fool who bought it. I love Jeeps, the spirit and the freedom of it all. I have put around 4K into my Tj, new sway bar links, new struts, new tires, new stabilizer, alignment, and it still vibrates over 65 for some reason. I took it to a reputable jeep dealer in town to completely inspect it and they say it should be better yet it still vibrates... should I take it back? Also the steering is only straight on flat roads. If the road is tilted my wheel wants to turn toward the tilt... also, when crawling under it there are bad rust spots on the frame. Not really the main part thank god but enough to have me worried. I'm posting pics. I love my tj and I don't want to give her up but in your guys expert opinions, should I? Here are pics of the rusted frame... most of it appears to be surface rust except for where these two bolts are. They are the worst places...
Did you get the tires balanced perfect? They really have to be perfect. 0.25oz can throw them off resulting in vibration

Reactions: KCsTJ
Damn that's cold

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
He is a new yorker. He doesn't mean it.

Check the camber if it is on the right position. May have to do with it. Ball joints may help also.

About the rust, drive it until you find a frame swap, then it will be a good project.

I’d begin looking for a good used frame and start planning a future frame swap. Meanwhile, coat the living hell out of it with FLUID FILM or CRC 06026 and do the same with all the cavities and areas under the tub. Speaking of the tub, the body mount areas are looking a bit suspect but the protectants will help extend the life. Keep it clean in between snow falls and drive her till it’s time to make the swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: billiebob
It’s the value you get out owning one and you may realize that you didn’t over pay for it come summer. That being said, you are pot committed! I am in Ohio too and the rust on my frame looked worst than yours. When I bought it, I took a screwdriver test to the frame and tried to poke holes in it to see the severity...it was fine. I did have the underneath coated to preserve it as long as possible since it will be a daily driver and not just a trail blazer or garage Queen. Also, when parts need replaced is when I upgraded and customized things. So keep that in mind. As for the vibes, I had them when the pinion seals were replaced and I had the mechanic double check the angles on the drive shafts. Even though they put a mark on the shaft before replacing them, it was still off the slightest. Once back to factory specs, all was better at highway speeds.

Regarding the over paying issue. Maybe you did and maybe you didn’t. Jeeps are expensive and if they’re not running well after the purchase then it’s natural to feel that you overpaid. A lot of us have that experience in our past and it’ll keep you more aware during future purchases. But you have a nice looking TJ and you’ll get a lot of enjoyment out of it once this mechanical issue is squared away. Maybe another Forum member from your area can recommend a good mechanic. Once you’re all set post a pic of your Jeep out on the road and let us know that things have worked out. Good luck.

As was mentioned, if you paid $4k for that amount of work I'd be more worried about that than anything else.
I'd bring it back to the place you got the tires and have them rebalanced and if that doesn't work bring it to the place that did the alignment (assuming they're not the same shop).

What you show for rust does not look too bad. But the rear of the frame is likely worse.

I'd use a bunch of Moove It or PB Blaster and try to drop the skid plate. That is often the worst part. If you are keeping it... I'd recommend lifting the body and cleaning up the rust and painting it. Not bad today but rust has a way of accelerating once it gets a hold.

The vibration and mechanical issues can show up even on the cleanest TJ and will show up eventually on every TJ. Part of the price of owning a vehicle past 10 years old.

Damn that's cold

It is?? For a NorthEast jeep that frame is great. It is time to get dirty cleaning the frame and try to protect it from the salt. With the rust up here it is more a matter of keeping the vehicle alive. That vehicle would still be a candidate for a small lift, or lockers, it has a lot of life left. But for a build project you have to go south, still knowing if you drive it in the winter, the metal will rot away If you bring it to the northeast.

With all the parts he has already replace it is now a matter of studying the vehicle over time to discover the real problem.

It is?? For a NorthEast jeep that frame is great. It is time to get dirty cleaning the frame and try to protect it from the salt. With the rust up here it is more a matter of keeping the vehicle alive. That vehicle would still be a candidate for a small lift, or lockers, it has a lot of life left. But for a build project you have to go south, still knowing if you drive it in the winter, the metal will rot away If you bring it to the northeast.

With all the parts he has already replace it is now a matter of studying the vehicle over time to discover the real problem.
I was just messing with you. No worries and I agree with what you are saying

Join a Jeep Meetup group that is interesting to you in your area and go out with them. They will help you solve your TJ problems and reaffirm how awesome they are. I have a 2004 TJ with all the goodies and it can do almost anything and drive 80. The group will help so much more because it would be in person. Good luck and keep her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk