Should I install a dropped pitman arm?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Q: Should I install a dropped pitman arm?
A: NO! Whether or not you need a dropped Pitman arm is nothing more than a geometry issue. (i.e. Only if you changed the geometry of the steering is a dropped Pitman arm needed to correct for that geometry change.)

For the typical lift heights installed on a TJ, like up to about 5 or 5.5" inches or so, you should not install a dropped Pitman arm unless you also installed a dropped upper mount for the trackbar.

Aftermarket dropped upper trackbar mount installed = a dropped Pitman arm is needed.
Using a factory upper trackbar mount = the OE factory Pitman arm is needed.

Very few other times would a dropped Pitman arm be needed and those don't occur until you get to around the 6" suspension lift height. Installing a dropped Pitman arm any other time is just going to cause bump steer.

So while a dropped Pitman arm is generally always needed after installing a suspension lift onto a CJ or a YJ, rarely is one needed for a TJ due to the TJ's improved steering geometry design.

Last edited:
Just want to confirm before ordering the stock pitman arm that this will work on my jeep. 4" lift with a a 1" body lift. Theres at least 1" gap between the body and frame.

So if all ready put a dropped pitman arm on is there anything I need to do? I have a 3.5 lift and 1.25 body lift.

No I do plan on getting a Adjustable Track bar. And non to the drop bracket.

I have a adjustable track bar on a 3.5" lift and 1.5" body lift. I installed a Pitman arm that is for a variable 2.5 to 6" lift. My steering is so much better and fluid, like original before lift. I was getting binding and tough to turn before I installed the dropped Pitman arm.

I have a adjustable track bar on a 3.5" lift and 1.5" body lift. I installed a Pitman arm that is for a variable 2.5 to 6" lift. My steering is so much better and fluid, like original before lift. I was getting binding and tough to turn before I installed the dropped Pitman arm.
Did it take care of any bump steer you had? Ive recently installed a 2.5" lift and it drives like junk now. Highway speeds and nice roads it drives great...hit a bump and it'll get a lil lose. At speeds around 30 on backroads and bumps its all over the place.

2005 Jeep L6
31s BFG TA KO2 on stock 15s
2.5 RC New $prings/$hocks
New stock sway bar links
Has been aligned twice
New tie rod end
Rear track bar relocation bracket

Tried the front track bar relocating bracket but it drove even worse.

Ill have the wife turn the wheel while i look at everything.
Any extra tips would be appreciated!

Did it take care of any bump steer you had? Ive recently installed a 2.5" lift and it drives like junk now. Highway speeds and nice roads it drives great...hit a bump and it'll get a lil lose. At speeds around 30 on backroads and bumps its all over the place.

2005 Jeep L6
31s BFG TA KO2 on stock 15s
2.5 RC New $prings/$hocks
New stock sway bar links
Has been aligned twice
New tie rod end
Rear track bar relocation bracket

Tried the front track bar relocating bracket but it drove even worse.

Ill have the wife turn the wheel while i look at everything.
Any extra tips would be appreciated!

Do you have a dropped pitman arm installed or a front track bar drop bracket? Pictures would help if possible.

There is NO reason to install a dropped pitman arm on a typical lift size, unless you have altered the geometry in some way (i.e. a track bar drop bracket). If you haven't done any of that, a dropped pitman arm will do more harm than good.

Dropped pitman arms are known to cause bump steer.

With a lift, oversized tires, and OEM control arms, this will result in low caster.

Low caster will result in loose steering that doesn't "return to center". This gives the feeling of the Jeep drifting which can be magnified by bumps in the road.

The axle needs to be rotated to restore caster, which isn't possible without adjustable control arms.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I’ve been searching this issue.

Do you need an adjustable track bar in addition to the adjustable track bar bracket or just the bracket. Is there an advantage to both?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I’ve been searching this issue.

Do you need an adjustable track bar in addition to the adjustable track bar bracket or just the bracket. Is there an advantage to both?

All you need is an adjustable track bar, no bracket is necessary. A properly designed adjustable front track bar bolts right on to the stock location.

But I’m confused as to what this has to do with this thread about dropped pitman arms?

All you need is an adjustable track bar, no bracket is necessary. A properly designed adjustable front track bar bolts right on to the stock location.

But I’m confused as to what this has to do with this thread about dropped pitman arms?

From my reading in this very thread, a symptom of a dropped pitman arm is wandering all over the road. The remedy is an adjustable track bar with an OEM pitman arm.

I was trying to understand if you need both the adjustable bracket and arm as a substitute for the dropped pitman arm.

or am I totally mistaken?

From my reading in this very thread, a symptom of a dropped pitman arm is wandering all over the road. The remedy is an adjustable track bar with an OEM pitman arm.

I was trying to understand if you need both the adjustable bracket and arm as a substitute for the dropped pitman arm.

or am I totally mistaken?

Oh, I see what you’re saying now.

The drop pitman arm only works if you have a drop track bar bracket to go with it. However, that is also a good sign of a lift that was poorly designed.

The proper solution is a stock pitman arm and either a stock track bar or an adjustable track bar, mounted to the stock track bar bracket. Whether the track bar is adjustable or not is irrelevant, all that matters is that the track bar isn’t using some sort of aftermarket drop bracket.