Should I re-gear for 33s or get smaller tires?

GHerremans

Hi all new to the jeeps, I just got my hands on a 98 TJ SE already had new 33" tread. Should I just regear for the 33s or get smaller tires. Or v8 swap its just realy driven on the road. Just not sure what I should do with the jeep. Paid 2800 no rust was a California jeep its in MI now anyway thanks for any advice

Before you spend a dime, come up with your overall plan and research for what you want to do. Take a look at the build threads here and it will give you some ideas on a direction you may want to go. There is nothing worse than spending money twice because you didn't pay attention to people the first time. Don't be in a hurry to spend money or you'll spend a lot of it.

What they ^^^said!!!

If you plan to stay on 33’s you’d want to regear. But take your time and figure out what you want your final build to look like before buying.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for filling in your profile (2.5L and AX5).

Regear from what? What is your current gear ratio?

4.10 is the factory ratio for his combo. 4.88 would be the right ratio for 33's.

As said before,decide what it will be used for and make a plan to get there before spending money. Ask us lots of questions!

Regearing will cost almost as much as your Jeep. And once you start modding it, you'll never be able to stop. :)

Just drive it for a while, figure out what bugs you about the current gearing before changing anything. 4.10 gears aren't terrible for 33s - not great but not terrible.

Reactions: BlueC
Along with making a build plan, choose the biggest tire you can reasonably justify for what you want set that as your max, if your considering dropping down tire size, is it solely for performance or do they look too big?

Stock gearing

I'm not 100%, I know it's the stock gearing and at the moment you can't shift into 5th gear or you will start to decline speed

Along with making a build plan, choose the biggest tire you can reasonably justify for what you want set that as your max, if your considering dropping down tire size, is it solely for performance or do they look too big?

It would solely be on performance I think the size looks good they don't rub just can't get out of its owen way and you can't shift into 5th gear or you loose speed

I hear ya dude, I have a 2.5 with the auto, I spent a year on 33s and stock gearing and a year on 35s and stock gearing, now I’m geared to 5.13

It would solely be on performance I think the size looks good they don't rub just can't get out of its owen way and you can't shift into 5th gear or you loose speed

The 33’s increase the versatility of the vehicle, increasing engine displacement or HP is not a substitute for improper gear ratios. Re-gear it.

Reactions: Peppergat
4.10 gears aren't terrible for 33s - not great but not terrible.

A 2.5L with 4.10 gears on 33s would lose a race with this guy.
p.s. He's pulling a camper too. :cool:

snail jeep (3).jpg

My two cents here mate @GHerremans And welcome to the forum!

I've got a '97 with the 2.5 and AX-5. I run a 33 and upgraded from the stock 4.10 to a 4.88 axle ratio and it made a huge difference! Both on the road and in the trails, as well as the slower crawl speed in low range. In a sense you gain a gear on the low end. 1st gear with 4.10's feels like 2nd gear with 4.88's if you know what I mean.

Ultimately its up to you alone to decide what route you want to go with your rig.