Should I replace NP231 oil pump during rebuild?

Since you already have it out and have 146k miles, I would sure as hell do it if only for preventative maintenance.

If the engine is out. I'd R&R the oil pump, rear main seal, timing chain set, & water pump.

He's talking about the NP231, if i'm reading the question correctly, he is rebuilding the NP231 and asking about the oil pump inside the transfer case. I recently rebuilt my NP231, 90K miles, and I did not replace the oil pump. The pump is essentially two plates pretty basic implementation. I took the point of view of for anything not considered consumable (bearings, seals, etc) inspect the current part, if there are no obvious signs of wear, put it back and move on.

Reactions: Doctor Bone Smash
He's talking about the NP231, if i'm reading the question correctly, he is rebuilding the NP231 and asking about the oil pump inside the transfer case. I recently rebuilt my NP231, 90K miles, and I did not replace the oil pump. The pump is essentially two plates pretty basic implementation. I took the point of view of for anything not considered consumable (bearings, seals, etc) inspect the current part, if there are no obvious signs of wear, put it back and move on.
Yeah, I got too excited and started tearing the pump down also and only have one torx screw left in it because it’s stuck. If I can unstuck it without stripping it I’ll just put everything in the parts washer and reuse it.

Oh i was the same way, NP231 rebuild kit, Tera 2-Low, new front driveshaft, what the heck whats an extra hundo or 3.

Reactions: Doctor Bone Smash