Should I replace stock control arms with OE replacements or adjustable?

NOLAJeep

...hold my beer.
Supporting Member
Looking for advice from the experts regarding control arm replacement

I have a 2004 Rubicon with 160,000 miles and original control arms/bushings. When I installed my lift (2.5 OME) I noticed them and figured I’d replace them when the funds were available.
It’s rides great with the lift and factory control arms, no vibrations at all. Should I just replace them with OEM and call it a day or is it worth it to upgrade to adjustable?

I do minimal off-roading and don’t plan on going any bigger than where I’m at(33 with 2.5”OME/1.25 BL and MML)

thanks in advance

definitely worth it to go adjustable in the case that you may further mod your jeep down the road such as more lift or a raised skid plate. i was kinda broke when i had to replace my control arms and went with the core 4x4 tier 2 and 2 years later they've held up well. Definitely some good reasons to go currie or savvy though such as aluminum links and being double adjustable with johnny joints on both ends.

You said "experts" so I'll just have a beer instead :)
But yeah, get some new OEM and you'll be good.

If you want to do it right, you'd replace them with a quality adjustable control arm.

Technically you don't need adjustable control arms at 2.5", but even at that height you are changing the angles of things, and you want to be able to adjust things as much as possible. In addition, if you plan on running a SYE / CV driveshaft, you have no choice but to get adjustable control arms for the rear, at which point it would be half ass to not get them for the front.

Having the ability to adjust caster and pinion angle is a very nice thing.

If you have a Rubicon you won't need a SYE since the 241 has no slip yoke. And at 2 1/2" lift with no vibration problems I would say stick with stock replacement arms.
If you are planning to go into harder trails then adjustable arms could be handy down the road. But a Rubicon on 2 1/2" lift is pretty darn capable as is. And if harder trails are 5 years or more down the road, stick with stock parts till you know what upgrades will be necessary. And with the stock arms so cheap you won't be spending a ton of money on upgrades you don't need.
Plus you would most likely be setting adjustable arms to the stock size anyway.

PS- I am no guru. But have been into Jeeps for the last several decades.

I’m leaning towards staying with the factory arms for now (sorry Chris), I’ve read somewhere that replacing the bushings inevitably destroys the arms trying to get the old bushings out.

so just get bushings and give it a go or buy new oem arms with bushings?

crown or omix-ada ok or should I go mopar or upgraded oem style.

thanks guys any advice is appreciated

I’m leaning towards staying with the factory arms for now (sorry Chris), I’ve read somewhere that replacing the bushings inevitably destroys the arms trying to get the old bushings out.

so just get bushings and give it a go or buy new oem arms with bushings?

crown or omix-ada ok or should I go mopar or upgraded oem style.

thanks guys any advice is appreciated
Get new arms NOT the bushings. Unless you like banging your head against a wall for hours :)

Reactions: NOLAJeep
I agree with you. (Sorry, Chris) You just got 160,000 maintenance free miles from the OEM control arms, and for all intents and purposes, they probably seem fine. As did mine at 150,000 miles. Like you, I only replaced mine because, well, I was in there anyway and they are inexpensive and then I kept my original arms as spares. You said yourself you don't do much off road work, and even then, if your not doing anything extreme, the factory arms will serve you very well at your ride height. For what the complete arms cost (shop around) just get the complete arms and keep your current arms as spares.

Reactions: NOLAJeep
You can still get Mopar front and rear lower control arms, but the front uppers are discontinued. I have adjustable rear uppers so I never checked on those. I just got all new arms from Summit and it was about $70 each for the Mopar lowers and $32 each for the Moog CK premium front uppers, all made in USA. I thought about getting adjustable everything but couldn't justify 3x the money since I'm not lifted.

Reactions: Queticon
You can still get Mopar front and rear lower control arms, but the front uppers are discontinued. I have adjustable rear uppers so I never checked on those. I just got all new arms from Summit and it was about $70 each for the Mopar lowers and $32 each for the Moog CK premium front uppers, all made in USA. I thought about getting adjustable everything but couldn't justify 3x the money since I'm not lifted.
Thanks, I was having trouble finding them that probably explains why

Looking for advice from the experts regarding control arm replacement

I have a 2004 Rubicon with 160,000 miles and original control arms/bushings. When I installed my lift (2.5 OME) I noticed them and figured I’d replace them when the funds were available.
It’s rides great with the lift and factory control arms, no vibrations at all. Should I just replace them with OEM and call it a day or is it worth it to upgrade to adjustable?

I do minimal off-roading and don’t plan on going any bigger than where I’m at(33 with 2.5”OME/1.25 BL and MML)

thanks in advance
Stick with OEM. Crown makes replacements for $50/pair. The c channel design and rubber bushing are a great design. To beat them you’d have to spend $300/pair.

Reactions: Alex01