Should I sell my LJ Rubicon and buy a closer to stock Jeep if i don't plan on off-roading? (no trails near me)

daylee6003

About 3 years ago now i bought a LJR with a bunch of mods. Long arm kit, 37 inch tires. Steel armor and rock sliders. 72k miles. trussed and c-gusset, currie anti rock, Custom steel cage that has a safety bar that makes it hard for passengers to get in. (there are more upgrades but i can't remember off the top of my head) I fell in love once i saw it was impact orange and had bigger tires haha. Now i am wondering though if selling it and buying something with less of a lift would be the route to go?

I love the way LJs look on 37s and orange is my favorite color, but I don't know if its dumb in the long run to have a jeep built like this if i don't offroad.
I bought metal cloak fenders and aluminum armor but i haven't installed it yet. Jeep does have some rust but nothing terrible. Weighing my options before i start throwing a ton of money into my jeep.

7UfaD0X.jpg

336173157_924383915648190_2110730852662398603_n.jpg

336031863_932033034897416_4525924423370595604_n.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Well, my motto is it doesn’t matter what you do- you just have to look cool doing it.

I did the same thing- fell in love with one all set up.

I’d recommend driving a more stock one before you decide.

Good thread man. Sensible question.

Well, my motto is it doesn’t matter what you do- you just have to look cool doing it.

I did the same thing- fell in love with one all set up.

I’d recommend driving a more stock one before you decide.

Good thread man. Sensible question.

Thank you. I appreciate it. Im in Wisconsin so i rarely ever see Tjs/Ljs around me. Maybe its just my area. They are all probably rusted out haha. I would love to drive a stock one.

Reactions: AndyG
I think it's very  adult of you be considering this question. I know i could never sell a rig like that and not regret it later. I'm childish like that.🤣

I absolutely get that selling that rig and buying one closer to stock would be sensible, and honestly give you more enjoyment in some ways, making it easier for passengers to get in, etc. But if I sold my Jeep and bought a stock one, every time I drove it, I'd feel sad that it wasn't as cool as the one I sold.

I think you are right about the practical aspect of selling and buying a more stock Jeep for your uses. The question is, could you live with yourself if you sell it?

Reactions: daylee6003
I think you might be amazed how nice a stock Jeep (in good condition) would drive and ride. Even just one without mud tires would probably blow your mind. Like going from an old, heavy, slow, noisy dump truck to a nice, new sports car.

An orange TJ/LJ is automatically a death trap and you should get rid of it ASAP.

Because I'm such a nice guy, I'll gladly come up there with a trailer and $10k and remove that engine of destruction before you or some other innocent person gets hurt 🤪

Joking aside, if you don't need/use the extra capabilities of those mods, remember that you are indeed paying for them anyway.

Ride, handling, MPG, noise, even the convenience of vehicle ingress/egress can all be compromised by aftermarket mods as you've seen with that bar behind the seats.

And don't forget the difference in replacement costs when it comes time to put new 37s on it vs a new set of 31s or 32s.

Also the additional wear on routine maintenance items such as brakes, suspension bushings, u-joints, etcetera.

Only you can determine if the tradeoffs are worth it.

As mentioned, go find a closer to stock Jeep in similar good condition as yours and drive it before making a decision.

Yours would likely sell pretty quickly to someone who wants/needs those mods.

And hey, I'll still make the sacrifice and come up there and get it if you need me to. 😁

Depending on what you like and dislike you could just mod some of it back to more stock and sell the parts. The full cage could be swapped out for a stock setup, I regularly see those show on FB marketplace. Then sell the full cage to a Jeepers thats looking for one.

Keep in mind that if you sell it and get a stock LJ, you won't be "this guy" anymore. Can you live with that? :unsure:
p.s. I'd keep it and clean it up (rust treatment) underneath. You'll regret selling it as soon as you see it driving around your neighborhood.
View attachment 408820

You see, that's why my offer is the one he should take.

He will never see that eyesore again as I will take it far away, to a land of no rust issues Jeeps.

An orange TJ/LJ is automatically a death trap and you should get rid of it ASAP.

Because I'm such a nice guy, I'll gladly come up there with a trailer and $10k and remove that engine of destruction before you or some other innocent person gets hurt 🤪

Joking aside, if you don't need/use the extra capabilities of those mods, remember that you are indeed paying for them anyway.

Ride, handling, MPG, noise, even the convenience of vehicle ingress/egress can all be compromised by aftermarket mods as you've seen with that bar behind the seats.

And don't forget the difference in replacement costs when it comes time to put new 37s on it vs a new set of 31s or 32s.

Also the additional wear on routine maintenance items such as brakes, suspension bushings, u-joints, etcetera.

Only you can determine if the tradeoffs are worth it.

As mentioned, go find a closer to stock Jeep in similar good condition as yours and drive it before making a decision.

Yours would likely sell pretty quickly to someone who wants/needs those mods.

And hey, I'll still make the sacrifice and come up there and get it if you need me to. 😁

If we do anything here, we give and give. Such care. It makes a tear run down my leg.

Lower it a little and put it on 33-35s.it isn't that much work. Springs, shocks,tires.alignment and rear pinion adjustment. Probably bumpstops. I doubt it was geared correctly for 37s,especially if it has an auto.

Then sell the fox shocks and tires.

It doesn't need to be totally reinvented. Just modified a little.

That's me. A caring individual only concerned about the wellbeing of others.

Especially if I profit am able to help someone out.

No joke. I’m a contractor.

I’ll tell my customers in a heartbeat that I need to be paid in order to come back and perform any warranty work- And to stay in business and give a warranty.

Reactions: jeepguy03
I think it's very  adult of you be considering this question. I know i could never sell a rig like that and not regret it later. I'm childish like that.🤣

I absolutely get that selling that rig and buying one closer to stock would be sensible, and honestly give you more enjoyment in some ways, making it easier for passengers to get in, etc. But if I sold my Jeep and bought a stock one, every time I drove it, I'd feel sad that it wasn't as cool as the one I sold.

I think you are right about the practical aspect of selling and buying a more stock Jeep for your uses. The question is, could you live with yourself if you sell it?

Haha. I appreciate it! its a hard decision to make for sure! I am wondering how much of a difference even going with different tires would make once these wear out. The ones i have now i believe are mud tread. 37s in all season tires would make a big difference?

Depending on what you like and dislike you could just mod some of it back to more stock and sell the parts. The full cage could be swapped out for a stock setup, I regularly see those show on FB marketplace. Then sell the full cage to a Jeepers thats looking for one.

Would even just cutting the bar behind the seat out be a good option?