Should I sell my Viper?

Nope, don’t sell it. If you do, the time will come when you’ll regret it. Have seen this too many times.

Reactions: Greenmachine
You’re not wrong, it could go up significantly in value, but I liken it more to gambling a bit more than I would investing.
Subscribe to SportsCarMarket. Tons of articles on the Viper as an "investment" maybe a few articles on how to sell it too. Looking at yours, it is not just a used car.

Cars were all we had as teenagers, we coveted them, we cherished them, and it drives us nuts that our sons could care less. Keep the passion and pass it on down (if possible). lol
I’m 19 and I’m super in to cars. Most everyone I know is in to cars as well. (I do live in the south so it’s mostly trucks) I didn’t really get the car bug from anyone except myself, I’ve always liked cars. My dad was also super into muscle cars, but he passed away before I could experience much “car stuff” with him. Maybe it’s in the genes? Anyways, lots of people around my age are into cars.

As far as the viper goes, I’d suggest keeping it. For all the possible investment reasons, but also for your kid. It does make a difference when you show up to pick them up from school in a viper.

You should add a poll to this thread. Pretty soon you'll lose track of the Sell It / Don't Sell It responses...

I have no opinion. I'm not into fast cars, and the only vehicle I ever really regret selling is a Rubicon I ordered from the factory, with all the options I wanted. But, it was a JK Rubicon, that was it's downfall...

Reactions: Greenmachine
You should add a poll to this thread. Pretty soon you'll lose track of the Sell It / Don't Sell It responses...

I have no opinion. I'm not into fast cars, and the only vehicle I ever really regret selling is a Rubicon I ordered from the factory, with all the options I wanted. But, it was a JK Rubicon, that was it's downfall...
That was my favorite jeep you had! Was a nice one. Not a downfall

Meh, it's a car, cool car, but still just a car. The Viper never really did it for me. "Supercars" are bitchin and all but really, how often are you running it past 100? 150? I'd sell it and get something else if it were me. Late 50's Vette comes to mind.

Reactions: Tray Burge
yes, the Viper is stagnant right now. But only because it is under the radar. I expect it will catch up to the Ford GT soon. And it is an investment to hold right now.
I'm a MOPAR guy from way back, my favorite vehicles in fact, but the Viper will NEVER, EVER be in the collectors class of the Ford GT-40, they made way too many.

I vote keep it. What a beautiful car. Winter cant stop a viper. They look like great snow cars.

If your going to sell though atleast wait for summer when you can get top dollar.

Last edited:
I see that sentiment is leaning toward keeping the trophy. How much will it cost you to keep it until it blows past the $60K mark they fetch at Hemmings? Deduct that yearly expense and your base input cost to figure the net gain, then divide that by the years it takes to get there. Will it outperform an index fund?

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01
Ahhhh... first world problems. Should I sell this car that can feed 10,000 starving African children for a year or keep it so I can stare at it.
OK, now that we have put this all in perspective...
You may die tomorrow, a week from now a year from now, who knows. Do you want your last breath to be STARING at a CAR or rolling end over end to your death in a JEEP. OK, that's a pretty grim scenario but you get the idea.
I'm a huge muscle care fanatic, grew up around; '79 Trans Am, El Caminos, '66 Stingray with 427 in it (step-dad still has it), '69 Hurst Olds, '32 coupe, 442s... you get the idea. Nothing beats feeling a glass packed V8 rumble your chest. I love those cars and always will but I got bit BAD, REALLY BAD, REALLY REALLY BAD by the Jeep bug and community over the last year. If I had $40k sitting in my driveway it would have a For Sale sign on it and I would be researching my build. You admit the Jeep has your attention more than the Viper. I'm sure that Viper rocks but are you/will you ever use it to it's potential? Unless your are hammering it on a track on the weekend the answer is no. Does it put a smile on your face like driving top down or climbing a rocky hill does? Will you get seller's remorse one day? Who knows, the question to ask yourself is are you going to have remorse NOW for never building the Jeep you've always wanted.

Deduct that yearly expense and your base input cost to figure the net gain, then divide that by the years it takes to get there. Will it outperform an index fund?

Now your speaking my language. Then you can divide your yearly upkeep by total value. That way you can find an index fund with a similar management fee to compare to. 😛

Definitely agree on that. There are very few people my age who care about cars. Even some younger parents are clueless about cars. I had one family in my high school blow up a 3.8L JK motor because they didn't change the oil for 3 years...
Ouch, not smart to not change the oil with an engine known to burn lots of oil

Have you considered replacing it with something just as fun but with more room? Cadillac CTS-V, Mercedes AMG, ETC. I love my E55 AMG and couldn’t imagine replacing it, yet haha. Even though it’s 13yrs old now it still has 500hp and hauls 4 adults very comfortably. Not to mention it also heats, cools and massages your back while going down the road haha

I see that sentiment is leaning toward keeping the trophy. How much will it cost you to keep it until it blows past the $60K mark they fetch at Hemmings? Deduct that yearly expense and your base input cost to figure the net gain, then divide that by the years it takes to get there. Will it outperform an index fund?

This is exactly where my head is at but it’s a hard calculation to make because of the inherient inefficiency of any collector market. Ugh.

When I bought it, I felt it was a ‘now or never’ situation.

Sounds like my former brz I bought proir to the baby. I sold if right before the due date. I wish I could have kept it but it's not in the cards right now.

Ahhhh... first world problems. Should I sell this car that can feed 10,000 starving African children for a year or keep it so I can stare at it.
OK, now that we have put this all in perspective...
You may die tomorrow, a week from now a year from now, who knows. Do you want your last breath to be STARING at a CAR or rolling end over end to your death in a JEEP. OK, that's a pretty grim scenario but you get the idea.
I'm a huge muscle care fanatic, grew up around; '79 Trans Am, El Caminos, '66 Stingray with 427 in it (step-dad still has it), '69 Hurst Olds, '32 coupe, 442s... you get the idea. Nothing beats feeling a glass packed V8 rumble your chest. I love those cars and always will but I got bit BAD, REALLY BAD, REALLY REALLY BAD by the Jeep bug and community over the last year. If I had $40k sitting in my driveway it would have a For Sale sign on it and I would be researching my build. You admit the Jeep has your attention more than the Viper. I'm sure that Viper rocks but are you/will you ever use it to it's potential? Unless your are hammering it on a track on the weekend the answer is no. Does it put a smile on your face like driving top down or climbing a rocky hill does? Will you get seller's remorse one day? Who knows, the question to ask yourself is are you going to have remorse NOW for never building the Jeep you've always wanted.

I completely agree that this ‘problem’ I have isn’t a problem in the slightest, totally important to remember that.

And as far as your last breath scenario...can’t I have both? Lol