Should I sell my Viper?

This is only true if you raise your kids to be idiots. I couldn't imagine being so dense that I would crash a car that my parents owned for years and gifted to me. The biggest reason I like my TJ so much is that my Dad bought it brand new and I grew up with it.

Unless you need that $50k for something immediately, I would say keep it. I'd imagine the value of something like that will continue to increase as well, especially because it is stock. Your kids will hopefully learn to like it as much as you do.
That's because you're a different generation, kids today could care less about a vehicle (most of them), they're more concerned about the next "iPhone" coming out. Unless your kids generation change, they'll be the same way (probably)

A Dodge Viper is a hell of a dangerous vehicle to put any "kid" behind the wheel of... (I'm talking about a teenager).

Those things have so much power and they are so ass heavy, your kid would need to go to a professional driving school at a track to learn how to actually harness the insanity of one of those things.

Another way to look at this is as part of your investment portfolio. Do you expect the Viper's value to increase faster than the rate of inflation? Is it a good fit in your asset mix? Portfolio diversification isn't limited to just stocks and bonds. It includes things like real estate, metals, artwork, and collector vehicles.

That's because you're a different generation, kids today could care less about a vehicle (most of them), they're more concerned about the next "iPhone" coming out. Unless your kids generation change, they'll be the same way (probably)

Well, I'm only 20 so I don't think I'm too too disconnected from the kids today. I still think you can raise your kids to be responsible by the time they're of driving age. My parents didn't raise me to be a dumbass teenager, but that isn't to say I didn't do stupid things. I just never did anything breathtakingly stupid like some of my friends ( IE: totaling out two cars in two weeks, driving at 60mph on bike paths, sinking their trucks in rivers). I hope to be able to trust my future kids with my TJ by the time they are 16 or 17.

This is only true if you raise your kids to be idiots. I couldn't imagine being so dense that I would crash a car that my parents owned for years and gifted to me. The biggest reason I like my TJ so much is that my Dad bought it brand new and I grew up with it.

Unless you need that $50k for something immediately, I would say keep it. I'd imagine the value of something like that will continue to increase as well, especially because it is stock. Your kids will hopefully learn to like it as much as you do.
Even if you have great kids, going 120 (or faster in that thing) is too tempting for any 17 year old not to try once. 🏎

Reactions: Greenmachine
Even if you have great kids, going 120 (or faster in that thing) is too tempting for any 17 year old not to try once. 🏎

Depends on where you live. I've been 130 with an 18 year old driving, but I was also in middle of nowhere Wyoming. It wasn't really that dumb considering the car could handle it. I don't think a great 17 year old would try going 120 on I-94 through Chicago. And anyways, I think track days should be a requirement if you have a Viper and a teenager.

I'm not trying to argue that you should let your 16 year old daily drive a Viper. I'm more against the idea that every 16 year old is stupid enough to total it out immediately.

I have an 81 corvette for 20 years and a 74 TR6, both almost never get driven, especially since I bought the TJ. They sit stacked on the lift in the garage. I will sell the TR6 to get another toy but the vette has not risen in value and looks too good to dump it for $6K. In your shoes, I do believe that viper will increase in value and possible be a high $$ car within the next 10 years...don't believe me, just look at what the Datsun 280Z and other early Japanese imports are going for now.....I just say a 1986 RX7 listed for $36K! That viper is one of the best color combinations ever made.

Thanks for all the replies, and by all means keep them coming as I will probably be on the fence with this decision for a while (and since it is winter it’s not really the time to sell anyway).

One thing I do know is that I fully realize how lucky I am, and that “problems” with what to do with one’s Viper are not problems at all.

I ask the question here instead of the Viper forums to get a little more of an unbiased view.

I’m the viper owner that had to stretch to buy it and am stretching to keep it (financially), while simultaneously have to squeeze myself in b/c I’m so frickin’ tall!

On the Viper forums some people seem to think of 50 grand they way I might view 5 grand...

I'm interested...

alreadyfuckedchicken.jpg

You’re not wrong, it could go up significantly in value, but I liken it more to gambling a bit more than I would investing. Although not quite gambling per se, but also not quite investing. IDK, I’m all over the place with this right now lol.
Another way to look at this is as part of your investment portfolio. Do you expect the Viper's value to increase faster than the rate of inflation? Is it a good fit in your asset mix? Portfolio diversification isn't limited to just stocks and bonds. It includes things like real estate, metals, artwork, and collector vehicles.

Couldn’t care less! Carry on! ;)

Reactions: glwood
I'll trade you a '97 TJ with a V8 for the Viper? I'll even throw in whatever change is in my pocket and the stock 2.5L that crapped out and is now a paper weight? Ha ha.

Reactions: Greenmachine
Well, I'm only 20 so I don't think I'm too too disconnected from the kids today. I still think you can raise your kids to be responsible by the time they're of driving age. My parents didn't raise me to be a dumbass teenager, but that isn't to say I didn't do stupid things. I just never did anything breathtakingly stupid like some of my friends ( IE: totaling out two cars in two weeks, driving at 60mph on bike paths, sinking their trucks in rivers). I hope to be able to trust my future kids with my TJ by the time they are 16 or 17.
Then that would make you the exception then. I'm 58 and "NOT ONE SINGLE" of my friends with kids/young adults our kids age (23-26) care about cars, it's just not that important to them. Your generation, as a majority, aren't into cars like we were at your age.

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
Then that would make you the exception then. I'm 58 and "NOT ONE SINGLE" of my friends with kids/young adults our kids age (23-26) care about cars, it's just not that important to them. Your generation, as a majority, aren't into cars like we were at your age.

Definitely agree on that. There are very few people my age who care about cars. Even some younger parents are clueless about cars. I had one family in my high school blow up a 3.8L JK motor because they didn't change the oil for 3 years...

Definitely agree on that. There are very few people my age who care about cars. Even some younger parents are clueless about cars. I had one family in my high school blow up a 3.8L JK motor because they didn't change the oil for 3 years...
Cars were all we had as teenagers, we coveted them, we cherished them, and it drives us nuts that our sons could care less. Keep the passion and pass it on down (if possible). lol

Reactions: jodomcfrodo