Should I stay with 4.56 gears?

Lilbomb

TJ Enthusiast
Question.....I will be doing the Super 35 and beefing up the front 30 on my Jeep as well. Someone already put in 4.56 gears front and rear. When I get the parts to have this done and get lockers am I going to have to replace those 4.56 gears with other ones? Or can I use what's in there and add the lockers to it as well as the axels and shafts? Sorry, new to gearing. Thanks!

Question.....I will be doing the Super 35 and beefing up the front 30 on my Jeep as well. Someone already put in 4.56 gears front and rear. When I get the parts to have this done and get lockers am I going to have to replace those 4.56 gears with other ones? Or can I use what's in there and add the lockers to it as well as the axels and shafts? Sorry, new to gearing. Thanks!

Unless the Jeep performance require deeper gears, is no need to replace the current ones. I will keep those 4.56 gears, others may suggest different.

'99 TJ 4.0. Manual transmission, not sure what kind. Will be either putting on a short arm 4" lift or a Savvy Mid Arm kit and 35" tires.

'99 TJ 4.0. Manual transmission, not sure what kind. Will be either putting on a short arm 4" lift or a Savvy Mid Arm kit and 35" tires.
4.88 or lower. 4" short arm. Build that to be as good as it can be.

You have an ax-15. With 35s I would recommend 4.88s or 5.13s

4.88's be ok for driving from the house to the trail? Moving to Reno NV this summer and will be hitting trails around the mountains and definitely going to the Rubicon at some point.

4.88's be ok for driving from the house to the trail? Moving to Reno NV this summer and will be hitting trails around the mountains and definitely going to the Rubicon at some point.
I daily drive your near equivalent of 35s/5.13. It's absolutely fine.

Reactions: tworley

No issue. The 4.0 can run 3k rpm all day long. Im making the leap to 5.13s here very soon on my DD

Reactions: JMT
Sorry for being so noob but is there a big difference from 4.88 to 5.13? I didn't think I would daily drive this when I got it but I have been for awhile now. When I get to Reno I'm sure i'll drive it here and there but mostly to the trails.

I'm on 33's right now with a 2" body lift I think, all stock everything else (ride kinda sucks, lol), but it seems to drive good with the 4.56 gears on 33's.

As above, the 4.88 gearing will just raise the engine rpms back up to where they should be for 35" tires. Don't confuse the low engine rpms a small car with small tires can get away with, Jeeps running big tires like 35's need the higher rpms so the engine operates more efficiently. Those higher more appropriate rpms are nothing for the 4.0, don't give them a second thought as your engine will actually be happier with them. It will show how much happier it is with improved mpg.

I am currently running 4.56 and 35s, and while I can get around I just need that little bit of "oomph" on the hwy. I constantly find myself cruising in 4th gear and when going uphill, its a battle. 4.56 is perfect for 33s, but a 2" bigger around tire will hurt performance.

I'm really glad I read through this thread. I'll be putting 35"s on mine and I currently have 3.74 gears. When I did the math I came up with 4.23 or something close to that and just figured I would go with 4.56. If the AX15 and 4.0L are fine with higher RPM's at highway speeds I'll just go with 4.88 as well.

Good Morning, I signed in this morning with same question.
04 LJ with 3.25"lift, Metalcloak fenders, Auto, 4.0, dana 30 and dana 44 on new to me 35's. Probably always gonna have 35's on there but 37's in a couple years wouldn't be unheard of if I came across a smoking deal. Not a daily driver but I drive 2+ hours to go wheeling'. I'm also thinking of Motive Gears but I read a little about Revolution. Trying to save money but buy quality. Summit quoted me $533 shipped with Motive 4.88 gears and master install kits. Thanks
4.56 or 4.88?
Motive vs. Revolution?