Should I swap my NV1500 for a NV3550 transmission?

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey guys!

I just want confirmation. Is this Manual Transmission NV3550?

All I can find are the numbers 29777, and 44719.

IMG_5458.jpg
IMG_4420.jpg
IMG_5723.jpg

Thanks for the answers! @TJ Hunnicutt I like your "Molon Labe" signature btw!

Do you guys think is it worth to swap my Nv1500 for the Nv3550? will it be a noticeable upgrade?

*edit: I have a 2.4L 4-cyl engine!

Noticeable? I doubt it but it is a stronger transmission than the NV1500. If your current transmission isn't acting up I'd hang on to it and swap it out then.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Agree. The NV1500 was only used with the 4 cylinders. If you manage to kill your 1500, then you could go for the upgrade just to get the added strength.

Thanks. I thought about putting it in with Greek letters ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ but figured very few would recognize it.

Reactions: TJim and Wildman
Agree. The NV1500 was only used with the 4 cylinders. If you manage to kill your 1500, then you could go for the upgrade just to get the added strength.

Thanks. I thought about putting it in with Greek letters ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ but figured very few would recognize it.

I was just puzzled, because I already have the Nv3550, for free, sitting in a basement, so I would not buy it.

However, I was not sure just because I have the 4-cyl engine if it would be an upgrade, or not.

Well, in that case...maybe...if you're up to the work.
I think they have the same tranny-to-bellhousing bolt pattern so you would probably just swap bellhousings to mount it. You'd have to do some work to swap over to the 3550 clutch system. There might also be rear tranny mount differences...possible different skid plate/cross member?
I would check with Novak and/or Advance Adapters to see what they might have to assist. Might be worth some on-line searches to see if anyone has documented it before.