Should I switch to synthetic oil or not?

MikeMarkCA

I have never run synthetic in any vehicle, but since my '03 Rubicon only has 10K on it, I have heard better to start early in an engine's life if you plan on making the switch.
How many are running synthetic, what are the pros vs cons? The only thing I know about synthetic is that it costs a lot more, but goes longer between changes. Is that the extent of it, or are there more pros?

Mobile one fully syn is the only oil that touches any of my vehicles. It’s probably overkill in a tj with a tractor engine Oh well

I ran moble one synthetic for 3 years, changed every 5k, and it definitely left its mark (drips) on my driveway. Switched back to Dino oil 3 changes ago (every 3k). No more drips

Reactions: rasband
Because it's thicker and sludge doesn't leak.

'synthetic' oil is still the same dead dinosaurs, just higher quality ones...

In a high performance engine running at the very limit of what engineering is capable of, sure, synthetic all the way. For a tractor engine though, you could probably run used cooking oil and be okay.

Whats good motor oil brand and grade to put in our Jeeps anyway? Synthetic and regular. Ive got 130k on my Wrangler. Should I switch to high mileage oil?

Whats good motor oil brand and grade to put in our Jeeps anyway? Synthetic and regular. Ive got 130k on my Wrangler. Should I switch to high mileage oil?
Blackstone Labs tests engine oil. Read what they have to say if you have time.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/information/faqs/gas-diesel-questions/

The 4.0 generally uses 10w-30 or 15w-40 depending on where it is sold. Use whatever you want and be happy. To directly quote Blackstone "Buddy, you should use whatever you want."

I have never run synthetic in any vehicle, but since my '03 Rubicon only has 10K on it, I have heard better to start early in an engine's life if you plan on making the switch.
How many are running synthetic, what are the pros vs cons? The only thing I know about synthetic is that it costs a lot more, but goes longer between changes. Is that the extent of it, or are there more pros?

I started running Havoline full synthetic in my '04 (bought it with 3 miles on it) at 6k miles and per their recommendations every 5 to 6 thousand after that. When I sold my Jeep in 2009 I had 70k on it and the oil was just as clean as the day I bought it. Any good oil brand will work as long as you stick to regular maintenance. The Synthetic just allows longer intervals with considerable less to no oil degradation!

The biggest advantage I can see with running synthetic is it does not brake down as fast as conventional oil. Depending on which manufacturer you use there are certain mileage warranties that they will honor so long as you keep well documented changes.

Amsoil for example warrants an engine for 1 million miles as long as you send in samples at scheduled intervals. That includes diesel engines like the 2010 Ram 6.7 liter I use on my mail route.

:unsure::unsure:
I’m not sure what you think synthetic means
Both synthetic oil and traditional motor oil are made from refining oil. Most synthetics begin with highly refined crude oil, pumped from deep underground. That is the same source as conventional oil. Other synthetic oils use artificially made compounds or a synthetic oil as a base oil. The primary difference between synthetic oil and traditional oil is at the level of refinement.

A good quality regular oil in the proper weight will do just fine. I use Castrol, only because it was a habit I formed decades ago for all my 2 & 4 wheelers. The only oil I never liked was Quaker state. (in the 70's they had a big problem with engines seizing in cold climates, mislabeled weight). Quaker state always seemed to produce more sludge, or so I thought) . Years ago we had a customer come in with a Mercedes that used oil. No leaks. The boss said, lets use a different brand each oil change until we find one that your engine likes. I did not expect to see results. Third oil change we used Kendall. The oil consumption stopped. Chance or luck? Maybe.

Reactions: reddvltj