Should I upgrade my Dana 35 axle?

Good point! I would do the 30 spline axles and get the new carrier to accept them, then add a locker as well. Doesn't make sense to get the 27 splines if you eventually plan to upgrade to 30 splines (which would be much stronger).

Ohhh ok - I get it now. The 27 splines are good, but to go with the better (larger diameter) 30 splines you need to get a different carrier to accept it.

Pardon me, axle setups escape me.

Correct, plus the 30 spline kit eliminates the c clip as well. Mo betta:D

It would be great if the TT came in 30 spline for those of us not needing a locker. The market is likely too small to tool up.

Reactions: StG58

It would be great if the TT came in 30 spline for those of us not needing a locker. The market is likely too small to tool up.

Well a limited slip differential doesn't sound like a bad investment - that way I can more than likely, if not yes I can, get 30 spline axle shafts, and not have the added stress on my rear end (that a locker would put on it).

I assume that trying to find a good Rubi axle (with a locker) would be harder than just upgrading my Dana 35 with a limited slip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At one time there was a 30 spline version of the Truetrac but it was not a popular combination. LSD users rarely do trails that need 30 spline shifts.

Installing 30 spline alloy axle shafts eliminates the real/main weak spot in a Dana 35. It doesn't create problems.

And with alloy 30 spline shafts, there's no need for a c-clip eliminator kit. The c-clips are not what causes breakage and they don't break themselves. Installing stronger 30 spline shafts make the c-clips a complete non-issue.

The c-clip design only causes a problem when the axle shaft breaks. Install stronger shafts to eliminate broken axle shafts and the c-clip design is no longer a problem. The 8.8 axle is a c-clip design. :)

I developed the C-clip eliminator for the Dana 35 and 8.8 for Superior and I'm not aware of any of the Dana 35 versions being available. Are they?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I developed the C-clip eliminator for the Dana 35 and 8.8 for Superior and I'm not aware of any of the Dana 35 versions being available. Are they?
The Revolution gear axle set uses a pressed on bearing from what I found when looking at an upgrade.

They may very well sell axles for existing c-clip eliminators but I'm 99.99% certain they do not sell the c-clip eliminator conversion.
From what I get from their website is the 30 spline axles for the "super 35" kit have pressed on bearings. No separate c clip elim bearing set that I have seen. Sorry for the confusion.

From what I get from their website is the 30 spline axles for the "super 35" kit have pressed on bearings. No separate c clip elim bearing set that I have seen. Sorry for the confusion.
The only 30 Super kit axles that would have pressed on bearings are the ones for the C-clip eliminators. Unless you have the c-clip eliminator, the bearing is still pressed into the housing end.

A c-clip eliminator functions by removing the Torrington straight roller bearing that is pressed into the housing end and swapping it for a larger Tapered Roller Bearing cup and cone that gets pressed onto the axle shaft with a shaft collar and bearing retainer like the TJ Dana 44 uses.

The eliminator consists of a 2 machined pieces of steel that bolt onto the existing housing end to create a place for the bearing and seal that is pressed onto the axle shaft.

I wouldn't be surprised if you pulled the rear cover to find some broken teeth on the spiders. Big, loud bangs are never a good sound when applying torque.

X2. I would pull the cover just incase. There's always a chance you broke off some teeth.

Q: Should I upgrade my Dana 35 axle?
A: Once upon a time I would have told you no, don't waste your money. However, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't hesitate to build a Dana 35 axle. If you're planning on running 35" tires or larger, I wouldn't bother starting with a Dana 35. However, if you don't plan on going larger than 33" tires, a built Dana 35 should be more than up to the task. By replacing the axle shafts with chromoly ones (I recommend Revolution axle shafts), upgrading the ring and pinion, as well as the carrier and adding a locker, I think you'd end up with a really solid axle for 33" tires.

Blaine (who I consider to be one of the most knowledgable people in the TJ community) has pointed out to us that there is a guy out there running a built Dana 35 axle on 33" tires and has no issues at all breaking anything off road. Jerry Bransford has also pointed out on numerous occasions that a build Dana 35 is up to the task.

So there you have it, two of the more knowledgable guys in the TJ community who are not dismissing the Dana 35 as a decent axle to off-road with.

Make no mistake, a built Dana 35 is a strong and capable axle. Obviously not as strong as a build Dana 44 (or similar), but if you're not going to be running anything larger than 33" tires, a built Dana 35 should suit you just fine.

Of course there can be no question that a Dana 44 will always add more resale value (and bragging rights) to your TJ, so there's always that to keep in mind!
Minor correction, he isn't on 33's, he is on 35's and he is running JV with me.

That's even more impressive!

So the bottom line is that a build Dana 35 really isn't a bad option, huh?
I've stated it many times and I won't ever run one, or build one for my own use with a single exception being in a rig I'm going to flip. That said, I don't have any reason to bad mouth them after watching what they can do with a Super kit in them.

We are also building a Dana 44 to replace the 35 at the very first moment it even whimpers but after two years out there all it has done is work very well.

Reactions: Chris
Well, like I said, I guess one thing you gain with the addition of a Dana 44 axle is resale value. There can be no question at all that it makes a used TJ more valuable in the eyes of most buyers.

Reactions: Kyle_W
The only 30 Super kit axles that would have pressed on bearings are the ones for the C-clip eliminators. Unless you have the c-clip eliminator, the bearing is still pressed into the housing end.

A c-clip eliminator functions by removing the Torrington straight roller bearing that is pressed into the housing end and swapping it for a larger Tapered Roller Bearing cup and cone that gets pressed onto the axle shaft with a shaft collar and bearing retainer like the TJ Dana 44 uses.

The eliminator consists of a 2 machined pieces of steel that bolt onto the existing housing end to create a place for the bearing and seal that is pressed onto the axle shaft.

I am aware of how they work. This is what I am referring to,
http://revolutionaxle.com/index.php...cription=true&category_id=0&sub_category=true
I would assume that no c clip is needed but could be wrong.

Reactions: Chris
I am aware of how they work. This is what I am referring to,
http://revolutionaxle.com/index.php...cription=true&category_id=0&sub_category=true
I would assume that no c clip is needed but could be wrong.
That axle would not need c-clips but I have read the description several times and I still don't know what the axle in the pictures is for since it doesn't match the description.

Same question on a 35" tire and lifted rig. I have replaced the rear Dana 35 with a Dana 44 4.88 gears, love it. But,
my front axle is Dana 30. Do you think installed chromoly axle shafts on the Dana 30 front is enough for 35" tires?

Same question on a 35" tire and lifted rig. I have replaced the rear Dana 35 with a Dana 44 4.88 gears, love it. But,
my front axle is Dana 30. Do you think installed chromoly axle shafts on the Dana 30 front is enough for 35" tires?
The chromoly axles shafts should do the trick on the 35's but that would be the limit.

Reactions: Paul Schuepp