Should I upgrade my Dana 35 axle?

I've got a Dana 35 and a four banger. I've just put 33" tires andn don't plan on going any larger. Now that Revolution makes 5.13 gears for the Dana 30, Dana 35 combo, if I'm going to regear, should I go with the 5.13 or the old tried and true 4.88? I barely had much a fifth gear with the litle stock tires, now it might as well just be a four speed.

I've got a Dana 35 and a four banger. I've just put 33" tires andn don't plan on going any larger. Now that Revolution makes 5.13 gears for the Dana 30, Dana 35 combo, if I'm going to regear, should I go with the 5.13 or the old tried and true 4.88? I barely had much a fifth gear with the litle stock tires, now it might as well just be a four speed.

I'll let @Brantley make that recommendation, he knows this area better than I do.

What transmission is in it though?

Reactions: tank and Brantley
@tank,

Most go with 4.88 but honestly I would go with 5.13. If you do the math for a stock 2.5 on 27" tires with 4.10 gears, the equivalent tire size for 4.88 is 32". If you're running 33's, that means you're slightly undergeared with 4.88 by about 100 rpm at highway cruising speed.

5.13 will raise the cruising rpm by 200 over 4.88 so that you're actually cruising 100 rpm more than stock, which in my opinion should be about perfect since you're running much heavier tires than stock with a lot more leverage against that 2.5. You mention you barely had a 5th gear when it was stock, with 5.13 you'd have a little bit more 5th gear than you did stock.

It should have an AX5 if it's 2002 or older, if it's 03-06, I'm not exactly sure because they used 2 or 3 different transmissions over those years.

I would go with 5.13. People do seem to like the 4.88/33" combo pretty well, but I don't know if that's because they simply haven't tried 5.13 before or if they're so used to the terrible stock 4.10 ratio that 4.88 is a welcome change. Either way, I'd put 5.13 in mine. I'd rather be overgeared than undergeared.

Most go with 4.88 but honestly I would go with 5.13. If you do the math for a stock 2.5 on 27" tires with 4.10 gears, the equivalent tire size for 4.88 is 32". If you're running 33's, that means you're slightly undergeared with 4.88 by about 100 rpm at highway cruising speed.

5.13 will raise the cruising rpm by 200 over 4.88 so that you're actually cruising 100 rpm more than stock, which in my opinion should be about perfect since you're running much heavier tires than stock with a lot more leverage against that 2.5. You mention you barely had a 5th gear when it was stock, with 5.13 you'd have a little bit more 5th gear than you did stock.

It should have an AX5 if it's 2002 or older, if it's 03-06, I'm not exactly sure because they used 2 or 3 different transmissions over those years.

I would go with 5.13. People do seem to like the 4.88/33" combo pretty well, but I don't know if that's because they simply haven't tried 5.13 before or if they're so used to the terrible stock 4.10 ratio that 4.88 is a welcome change. Either way, I'd put 5.13 in mine. I'd rather be overgeared than undergeared.
I was leaning toward the 5.13's but had yet to actually find any recommendations for it since they are a relatively new offering for the Dana 30/Dana 35 combo. Thanks for the replied fellas. You have reaffirmed my plans. It may still be a while before I can afford to do it; but, I will update you when I do and let you know how they perform.

Reactions: StG58
It's whatever came stock in a 97 SE 2.5 five speed manual. I've looked up my VIN and I can't seem to find which one. I believe it is the AX-5.
That's correct. You've got the ax-5. I have a '98 2.5l with the ax-5, so I feel your pain when you say you basically have a 4 speed.

I've been going back and forth between 4.88's and 5.13's as well and I think I've settled on 5.13's. 1) Because like @Brantley said, it'd be nice to be slightly over geared for highway use and 2) if I ever go crazy and decide I want to run 35's for a while, I'll need that extra gearing to push them.

Also, Blaine has said multiple times that a guy he wheels with in JV runs the super 35 set up, 35" tires, 5.13's, and a 4 banger and keeps up with everyone on the trail. So based upon his experience, I have confidence in that setup.

I was leaning toward the 5.13's but had yet to actually find any recommendations for it since they are a relatively new offering for the Dana 30/Dana 35 combo. Thanks for the replied fellas. You have reaffirmed my plans. It may still be a while before I can afford to do it; but, I will update you when I do and let you know how they perform.

They are newish, but I'd definitely trust them. @mrblaine has a helper that runs JV with him and they're running a Revolution Super 35 on Revolution 5.13's and 35" tires, if I'm remembering that right. Hasn't had a single problem as far as I've heard and that's on 35's, a tougher combo than your 33's.

I don't think the rpm will be too high on the highway, and I wouldn't worry about breakage of the gears in the slightest. I'd go for it (when you have the money of course).

Reactions: Chris and tank
Also, Blaine has said multiple times that a guy he wheels with in JV runs the super 35 set up, 35" tires, 5.13's, and a 4 banger and keeps up with everyone on the trail. So based upon his experience, I have confidence in that setup.

Not a guy I wheel with, he is my helper and it isn't a 4 cyl any more. We added 2 cylinders to it. It also isn't that he keeps up with everyone, it is that I'd recommend that you have your rig prepped and well set up to keep up with him.

Not a guy I wheel with, he is my helper and it isn't a 4 cyl any more. We added 2 cylinders to it. It also isn't that he keeps up with everyone, it is that I'd recommend that you have your rig prepped and well set up to keep up with him.
Ahhh, sorry for the screw up. Pretty awesome y'all did an engine swap. Just out of curiosity, did y'all put the 4.0 in it?

And just to make sure I'm not going crazy.... Didn't you mention that he used to run 5.13's, super 35, and 35's on the 4 cyl. at one point or another?

Ahhh, sorry for the screw up. Pretty awesome y'all did an engine swap. Just out of curiosity, did y'all put the 4.0 in it?

And just to make sure I'm not going crazy.... Didn't you mention that he used to run 5.13's, super 35, and 35's on the 4 cyl. at one point or another?
I did mention that and we wouldn't have been able to add 2 cylinders if it didn't have 4 to start with. Yes, we swapped in a 4.0.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
Hello!! Sorry to cut in but just to get some clarity (I looking to upgrade my Dana 35) if i wanna go with a 30 spline axle shaft, I also need to change my carrier, but not the ring and pinion... I'm already runing 4:10 gears. Basically what I'm looking at doing is:
1. Weld a truss on outer axle
2. Upgrade to 30 spline axle shafts chromoly
3. Install 30 spline Aussie locker
And that should do it??

Hello!! Sorry to cut in but just to get some clarity (I looking to upgrade my Dana 35) if i wanna go with a 30 spline axle shaft, I also need to change my carrier, but not the ring and pinion... I'm already runing 4:10 gears. Basically what I'm looking at doing is:
And that should do it??

I think you've got it. Do that, and you should have a Dana 35 that is up to handling quite a bit.

Get the Super 35 kit, it's the best there is:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYDRKLT/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Stanley
And that should do it??

Yeah I wouldn't do a lunchbox locker in the rear. From what I have heard, they handle very poorly on the road. Also, what size tires and suspension setup are you running that you can keep 4.10 gears, but need the super 35 and a truss?

Reactions: Stanley