Should I upgrade my Dana 35 axle?

I know this is an old thread, but recently picked up a 97 and was reading this. I was wondering if anyone had a link for a super 35 kit, or where to find one.

Thanks
Matt

Are 33" tires ok for tj x?

Also, Im not sure the type of lift/suspension is on my jeep that I just bought, it actually doesnt say anything. Must not be brand new. Any recommendations for that? Should I exchange for a different lift kit?

If you like your lift and the ride just stick with it for awhile. You need ideally 4” of overall lift for 33’s. You can get by with 3.5”. I like to do a combo like the Zone lift offers. 3” SL + 1.25” BL

I ran 33’s on my Dana 35 for 1 year. Wheeled it pretty hard. It was fine. Just don’t lock it. S35 it if you want to lock.

I am running 33s on my super 35 with 4inch lift for 4 years only issue I have had was broken teeth on ring and pinion and that was driver error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am running 33s on my super 35 with 4inch lift for 4 years only issue I have had was broken teeth on ring and pinion and that was driver error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How was breaking teeth in ring and pinion caused by driver error?

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Thanks so much for the complete write up. I have my first Jeep I only want to put 33’s on it. I am not intending to go rock climbing but may rarely run across some fairly mild rock issues. I have read the negative posts on Dana 35’s being trash especially if you put a locker in.

What is is your opinion on the Dana 30 with an Aussie locker installed and what are your recommendations for upgrading the Dana 30

What is is your opinion on the Dana 30 with an Aussie locker installed and what are your recommendations for upgrading the Dana 30

Dana 30 with an aussie is an awesome upgrade in capability.

D30s are at the bottom of the upgrade list. There are more pressing items to upgrade as you move to higher lifts and bigger tires.

Reactions: Ephry73
I have a 2 1/2 inch lift I am only wanting to put on 33s and I will not be rock crawling. I may do minimal rock crawling if I have to buy do not intend to rock crawl.

I have a 2 1/2 inch lift I am only wanting to put on 33s and I will not be rock crawling. I may do minimal rock crawling if I have to buy do not intend to rock crawl.
That is more or less what I have and my tires actually measure 32". Only a regear to 4.10 by the PO and stock everything else. The Dana 35 will get upgraded parts just for my mental sanity and for those rough trips.

Ill vouch for the Dana 35 and Dana 30 built with proper carrier and 30 splines. I swapped my stocks axles out and replaced them with dana 60 and dana 44 built front and rear, the unsprung weight make a HUGE difference driving on road. If you have a daily driving TJ I would %1000 recommend staying on 33's and stock axles —-> upgrading the Dana 35 and Dana 30 front. yeah you don't save that much cash but the unsprung weight changes the jeep alot. You can go anywhere with 33's and high dana 35 pumpkin as with 35's with a low hanging pumpkin Dana 60 would be equivalent of course theres 5.38 gears but it's not worth it in my experience. 5.13, ARB, 30 splines bigger ujoints, that would do it and not add a whole lotta weight. Jerrys advice makes the Dana 35 on par with the Dana 44 for th emost part and I believe it.

Reactions: Irun and Ephry73
Ill vouch for the Dana 35 and Dana 30 built with proper carrier and 30 splines. I swapped my stocks axles out and replaced them with dana 60 and dana 44 built front and rear, the unsprung weight make a HUGE difference driving on road. If you have a daily driving TJ I would %1000 recommend staying on 33's and stock axles —-> upgrading the Dana 35 and Dana 30 front. yeah you don't save that much cash but the unsprung weight changes the jeep alot. You can go anywhere with 33's and high dana 35 pumpkin as with 35's with a low hanging pumpkin Dana 60 would be equivalent of course theres 5.38 gears but it's not worth it in my experience. 5.13, ARB, 30 splines bigger ujoints, that would do it and not add a whole lotta weight. Jerrys advice makes the Dana 35 on par with the Dana 44 for th emost part and I believe it.
People generally fail to realize the negative effects weight, sprung or unsprung, can have on a TJ or LJ. 👍