Should I use brake cleaner to clean my differential gears?

if you gonna take cover off, sure go for it if you have a desire. Fluid will accumulate at the bottom , so make sure to soak it all out before refill.

Reactions: AaronPaul
I used to, then I stumbled upon the factory service manuals recommendation against using gasoline, which gave me pause about solvents in general. I just rinse it off with engine oil, which pours like water by comparison and tends to be cheaper than brake cleaner anyway.

I used to, then I stumbled upon the factory service manuals recommendation against using gasoline, which gave me pause about solvents in general. I just rinse it off with engine oil, which pours like water by comparison and tends to be cheaper than brake cleaner anyway.
Gas became frowned upon for both safety and health reasons. Good brake clean evaporates fully so there is no residues like other solvents to worry about.

Gas became frowned upon for both safety and health reasons. Good brake clean evaporates fully so there is no residues like other solvents to worry about.
What are you using? In my experience with what autoparts store sells, it mixes with oil and pools at the bottom of the diff with no signs of evaporation

Waste of time the way I see it. If something is shedding metal removing a small quantity clinging to the case and gears isn't going to fix the thing that lost the metal. Just draining the oil dilutes whatever crap thousands to one so you're good. If you enjoy spraying that stuff then go for it. I'd just pop the cover, wipe the bottom after as long as you can wait and button it back up. The tiny bit stuck on the surfaces wont change a thing. If I replaced a broken part or had water contamination then I might consider doing more but otherwise I treat it like an oil change and the engine oil is many times worse in general.

Reactions: Stinkbug and Zorba
Like everything else, the more you know.

https://www.envirofluid.com/articles/tetrachloroethylene-a-deadly-danger-in-brake-cleaner/

The main ingredient in CA compliant brake cleaner at most parts stores is acetone and some alcohol and I don't know the last time I was able to find any of the chlorinated stuff.
Nope. Ca went to the decaf stuff a while back. We have our own brand at work. Somehow some “good” stuff was mislabeled a while back and I got a case. I miss the good stuff.

Nope. Ca went to the decaf stuff a while back. We have our own brand at work. Somehow some “good” stuff was mislabeled a while back and I got a case. I miss the good stuff.
I fled that communist state 5 years ago - but I don't know how much they've influenced the availability of "the good stuff" here in Florida. I'll have to look next time I'm in O'Reilly's. I'm still pissed that the EPA banned Creosote!

Like everything else, the more you know.

https://www.envirofluid.com/articles/tetrachloroethylene-a-deadly-danger-in-brake-cleaner/

The main ingredient in CA compliant brake cleaner at most parts stores is acetone and some alcohol and I don't know the last time I was able to find any of the chlorinated stuff.
Pulling up the MSDS for Brakleen shows this:

Supplemental information When exposed to extreme heat or hot surfaces, vapors may decompose to harmful or fatal corrosive gases such as hydrogen chloride and possibly phosgene.
3. Composition/information on ingredients Mixtures Chemical name Common name and synonyms CAS number % tetrachloroethylene perchloroethylene

Reactions: reddvltj
Pulling up the MSDS for Brakleen shows this:

Supplemental information When exposed to extreme heat or hot surfaces, vapors may decompose to harmful or fatal corrosive gases such as hydrogen chloride and possibly phosgene.
3. Composition/information on ingredients Mixtures Chemical name Common name and synonyms CAS number % tetrachloroethylene perchloroethylene
CA compliant does not contain tetrachloroethylene. My point was that not all brake cleaner type products produce phosgene gas when heated.
1653746502017.png