Should the slip joint on my driveshaft look like this?

Cletusthejeep

I’m pretty sure this isn’t supposed to be like this. Anyone know what going on? And any advice on what to do about it? Im thinking the drive shaft is to short? But I don’t know

C8B66A18-587F-47F4-88B6-B4819147E519.jpeg

Is it just the perspective or is the exhaust mounted to the body? If you move the mount to the frame it'll be a little quieter.

Try removing the rear driveshaft (be sure to use the parking brake while you're removing it) and going for a ride (use 4WD) to see if the noise still exists.

If it does, put in the rear shaft and remove the front.

If one driveshaft out eliminates the noise, then you know where the noise is coming from.

Try removing the rear driveshaft (be sure to use the parking brake while you're removing it) and going for a ride (use 4WD) to see if the noise still exists.

If it does, put in the rear shaft and remove the front.

If one driveshaft out eliminates the noise, then you know where the noise is coming from.
Wow I never thought of this😂 but it makes total sense! Thanks👍

Reactions: Steel City 06
I haven't had to pay any attention to my rear driveshaft the dozens of times I've been under there but I would think there should be some kind of seal to keep the grease in and the gritty stuff out. I'd also jack up the Jeep by the back bumper until the tires were off the ground and see how much more of that blue spline would be showing at that point. I think it's too much already.

I haven't had to pay any attention to my rear driveshaft the dozens of times I've been under there but I would think there should be some kind of seal to keep the grease in and the gritty stuff out. I'd also jack up the Jeep by the back bumper until the tires were off the ground and see how much more of that blue spline would be showing at that point. I think it's too much already.

up to 2" at normal ride height is fine of the blue teflon coating, at full flex it can be about 4" and still be fine. And no seal needed.

There is a seal there. It is spline shaped and sits inside that cap that you see on the end of the pinion yoke.