Should there be any in / out play of the rear output shaft after SYE?

bobthetj03

Daily driver
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Should there be any in/out play of the rear output shaft? Advance Adapters SYE. In an effort to rule out the rear yoke, I replaced it and noticed a lot of play. Not rotational play, not up/down, side/side play, but in/out play. After torqueing the new yoke down the play was less, but still some play. I get zero in/out play of both diff yokes and the input yoke on the TC.

Should there be any in/out play of the rear output shaft? Advance Adapters SYE. In an effort to rule out the rear yoke, I replaced it and noticed a lot of play. Not rotational play, not up/down, side/side play, but in/out play. After torqueing the new yoke down the play was less, but still some play. I get zero in/out play of both diff yokes and the input yoke on the TC.
You might have just found your problem :)

Just put a call in to Advance Adapter's tech line. They suggest pulling the tail shaft to see if a snap ring or something has failed. What fun!

• Haha
Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
My bet is no snap ring failed, it is more likely either it wasn't seated entirely and it worked its way out, or the snap ring never got installed.

definitely zero play on my JB Conversions SYE. The yoke nut (torqued to 200!) pulls the shaft outward and sandwiches the speed sensor tone ring and the inner race of the bearing, so the only way to have play would be if the yoke nut wasn't torqued or the bearing was worn enough to be loose.

The instructions for the standard AA SYE says to torque the yoke to 140-150ft.lbs. Should I torque it more than that?

The instructions for the standard AA SYE says to torque the yoke to 140-150ft.lbs. Should I torque it more than that?

I would follow the instructions from the manufacturer of your SYE. Mine was a JB conversions super short and their instructions said to take it to 200.

Reactions: bobthetj03
To update this thread, I revisited the output yoke today with a digital caliper. I'm getting 0.020" of out play. That is not very much, so I don't think the t-case is the issue?

Have you checked the nut on the front driveshaft yoke where it bolts to the transfer case? I had vibes after I installed my tome woods sye and it was the nut for the front transfer case yoke. I had never had the front shaft out either it must have been loose from the factory. It fixed some vibes but I still got vibes at about 75mph. Installing a hub kit this weekend.