Should this front upper control arm bushing be so far out to the left?

IPerkWVU

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
It still has rubber purtruding out the other side but seems like it needs to get pressed in. Is this how it is supposed to be?
IMG_20190915_144159.jpg

It sure looks funny but it bottomed out hard at that slight shoulder on the flange side.

This is a synergy DDB and I found this while trying to make sure this was right.

Wish there was more space between the fork and the outer sleeve, not sure how they claim the misalignment numbers they do.

PXL_20231117_211106952.jpg

PXL_20231117_212933976.jpg

Also found it interesting that the inner sleeve is a hair shorter than the JJ. I always had to beat the fork on to stretch it over the JJ ball.

Now to torque it and move on to the other side...

Last edited:
What I notice is it still a stock clevite bushing and your other bushings appear newer

When you only have give in those two bushings all force is transferred there- nothing else gives.

I recently helped an owner replace the two front uppers after he had already done the 14 other bushings-

He said he got as much benefit from those two bushings as he did all the others combined in steering and handling

If you will replace them like some of the other guys have shown you will really appreciate the difference

What I notice is it still a stock clevite bushing and your other bushings appear newer

When you only have give in those two bushings all force is transferred there- nothing else gives.

I recently helped an owner replace the two front uppers after he had already done the 14 other bushings-

He said he got as much benefit from those two bushings as he did all the others combined in steering and handling

If you will replace them like some of the other guys have shown you will really appreciate the difference

Actually these are synergy DDB bushings, not clevite (though the outer sleeve looks identical so I understand the confusion).

I removed Johnny joints to try these out because the JJs are a royal pain in the arse to grease in this particular location. All of my other joints are still JJs. These better last a long time though, because as annoyed as I was to mess with JJs down there, pressing these in with a ball joint press was much worse. I'm gonna keep the JJs in the parts bin and they'll go back in if these fail on me.

Actually these are synergy DDB bushings, not clevite (though the outer sleeve looks identical so I understand the confusion).

I removed Johnny joints to try these out because the JJs are a royal pain in the arse to grease in this particular location. All of my other joints are still JJs. These better last a long time though, because as annoyed as I was to mess with JJs down there, pressing these in with a ball joint press was much worse. I'm gonna keep the JJs in the parts bin and they'll go back in if these fail on me.

I wasn’t referring to yours- the op. Even though his bushings are in the mount correctly they are still somewhere around 17 plus years old- That is ripe old age for a rubber bushing. Yours look great

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Anyone have tips for removing those bushings from the ears on the axle? I’ve done it on axles removed from the vehicle and it was a chore, so with the axle still under the vehicle I imagine it’s a bit more difficult.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Anyone have tips for removing those bushings from the ears on the axle? I’ve done it on axles removed from the vehicle and it was a chore, so with the axle still under the vehicle I imagine it’s a bit more difficult.

It was a real pain with the axle in the Jeep. This is what I did on the drivers side.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...wrangler-unlimited.14995/page-18#post-1270404

I‘m sure there’s a better way but I used what I had and got them out.