Shout out to a Jeep repair shop ... Trail Head Jeeps

ScottB

TJ Enthusiast
Some you are regular visitors to this site my know or have idea that I am about to embark on some pretty major upgrades on my 05 TJ. I take pride and enjoy, doing every possible repair or upgrade to my Jeep. However, I do know my mechanical limits and there are some things that I just will not attempt. The case in point ..............gears (re-gear).

When I decided to get my TJ re-geared there were several other things that I wanted to get done at the same time.

I recently moved from Birmingham, AL to Pensacola, FL, so I was unfamiliar which local repair shops and their ability and reputation. I met several Jeep folks and talked with many, many members of local Jeep clubs and posed the question about who do I need to take my Jeep to, to get the repairs done. About 50 different people, without question, referred me to Dave at Trail Head Jeeps. "Dave is the best," was the sentiment that I heard the most.

I went to Dave and here is the list that I gave him.

Keep in mind that I bought all parts, with the exception of fluids and minor incidental shop supplies, This is not just some back yard mechanic. This a business that comes highly recommended.

In no particular order:

Regear both front and rear, Dana 30/35, Revolution Gear 4.88
Superior Axle truss for Dana 35
New Revolution Axle 30 spline shafts for Dana 35
Install ARB locker in both front and rear
Install ARB compressor
Install Smitty winch and Smitty bumper
Install Smitty rear bumper
I also purchased all bearings and seals

Total labor cash price $1,125.00
I then replied that I will assume $1,200.00 total with misc shop supplies.

He replied, $1,200.00 at the most.

I thought this was a very fair price.

Trail Head Jeeps in Pensacola. Pay them a visit if you're in the area.

Reactions: JMT
I got a very similar quote at a shop in Austin, TX. I bring the following parts:

Revolution Super 35 kit
30 spline with 1541H axles
Revolution 4.88 gears front and rear
Eaton E-Locker rear

You have a few extra goodies on there, but bumpers andvwinches are minor. My labor was quoted as $1150

Reactions: KCsTJ
I wish I can say that about my Jeep mechanic or should I say ex jeep mechanic. I got charged the same thing your paying just for new gearing in the rear. You got a hell of a deal.