Shoutout to mrblaine

Feralkid

Useful Idiot
Supporting Member
Just got the johnny joint washers in the mail today.

Super fast service, thank you.

The machining is top notch.

Paying $10.25 each, seems like I'm getting a good deal for the quality. Very high quality. I haven't put calipers on them yet, but they seem to be absolutely identical to each other.

Cant wait for some free time to get them installed.

20200326_180356.jpg

20200326_182550.jpg

I appreciate the kind words. No, 10.25 each is not a deal. Unfortunately no matter how I do it, I can't seem to get the price down and I've tried several ways and have just resigned myself to it being what it has to be. I wish it could be better. I should be able to deliver that part for 1/2 that which is about what it is worth.

I appreciate the kind words. No, 10.25 each is not a deal. Unfortunately no matter how I do it, I can't seem to get the price down and I've tried several ways and have just resigned myself to it being what it has to be. I wish it could be better. I should be able to deliver that part for 1/2 that which is about what it is worth.
I tell you how to do it...

Listen to me, I give good advice. I am a natural at giving advice..

Ok, here's how its done,
Get your self one of these....

desert-eagle-custom-pistol-grips-samurai-1.jpg

Tuck it into your waist band take it with you everywhere you go. Dont worry, CA law doesnt give a shit about concealed carry.

That's step #1

Step #2

Wing it.

You need to be thinking mass production.

The only way that would be viable is if currie or savvy (other manufacturers)would include them in their bolt kit... even then? Would the numbers be there?

People always ask what those washers do, and then you explain their purpose. That can be corrected with proper marketing. Just a graphic that explains their purpose and makes them look sexy would suffice.

I tell you how to do it...

Listen to me, I give good advice. I am a natural at giving advice..

Ok, here's how its done,
Get your self one of these....

View attachment 148580

Tuck it into your waist band take it with you everywhere you go. Dont worry, CA law doesnt give a shit about concealed carry.

That's step #1

Step #2

Wing it.

You need to be thinking mass production.

The only way that would be viable is if currie or savvy (other manufacturers)would include them in their bolt kit... even then? Would the numbers be there?

People always ask what those washers do, and then you explain their purpose. That can be corrected with proper marketing. Just a graphic that explains their purpose and makes them look sexy would suffice.
I've had mass production numbers quoted. The only way to make them in decent quantities is with a net to size forging die and production of 1000's per run and even then they won't promise no post forging processing. I've only sold about 2000 total since they were introduced so 20 grand worth of forging dies doesn't pencil out.

Reactions: rasband
Mine worked well for a number of years. On my second axle towards the end I had to weld them in place, the slot was beat to hell from the previous owner. But still a good purchase. On the third axle, I just have a 9/16 hole and no slot.

I really like those things. The fact that such a part exists shows attention to detail among so many other things (y)

I wasn’t aware I needed these until I read a post by @Jerry Bransford regarding replacing the front lower CAs - very happy with them as well.

@Midtenn - the front lower CAbolt holes are slots, these fill the slots and provide just a bolt hole instead. I don’t know that it’s all TJs or specific model years (mine is an 06).

This image is from a JK, but similar look:

1585280954413.jpeg

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Would someone go over how these work, both to help the membership who wants to know more and support Blaine's efforts ?

What does this do?
The front axle's lower control arm mounting bolt opening is a slot, not a bolt hole. The slot is there to allow a pair of concentric washers to move the bolt forward/backward to allow for caster angle adjustment. That ability was removed half-way through the 1999 model year. So without the cam bolts in later TJs, the front lower control arm bolts can slide fore/aft in that slot if the bolt loosens enough. These washers prevent that from happening, it locks the bolt dead-center in the slot. Caster angle adjustment is accomplished with adjustable length control arms, which give more of an adjustment range than the early cam bolts did which were limited to about 1.5 degrees of adjustment.

I was going to post some pics but that folder is temporarily unavailable.

The front axle's lower control arm mounting bolt opening is a slot, not a bolt hole. The slot is there to allow a pair of concentric washers to move the bolt forward/backward to allow for caster angle adjustment. That ability was removed half-way through the 1999 model year. So without the cam bolts in later TJs, the front lower control arm bolts can slide fore/aft in that slot if the bolt loosens enough. These washers prevent that from happening, it locks the bolt dead-center in the slot. Caster angle adjustment is accomplished with adjustable length control arms, which give more of an adjustment range than the early cam bolts did which were limited to about 1.5 degrees of adjustment.

I was going to post some pics but that folder is temporarily unavailable.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clear response.

Damn you guys. You suck. Now I absolutely must have something I did not know I needed until I read this thread.
While Jerry is absolutely correct in where they go, the why is in the name of the part. Early on, all Johnny Joints shipped with greaseable bolts. Without the end of the JJ barrel in contact with the inside face of the mount around the whole area that touches, the grease would go in the bolt and come back out around the outside of it into the slot in the mount. The JJ washers are to provide a seal so the grease would go into the race.

Was throwing out the trash and found this in the envelope.
20200327_183732.jpg

What are the odds this isn't laced with lsd?

Nice try dude, I maybe ugly... but I ain't stoopid.

• Haha
Reactions: rasband and Ed1967