Show me your hood vents

Twopoint

TJ Pupil ... and all it entails...
Lifetime Supporting Member
I picked up a pair of Grand Cherokee hood vents, I am debating exact placement on the hood and if I want to match colour (Shale Green) or go with a contrasting colour (Black)

Show me what you have!

Reactions: Zorba
20200606_110026.jpg

Have you guys had any issues with the vents once they were installed?

Here's where they should be placed, and why. I'd really like to see the front one with some kind of scoop that goes as low as possible so radiator air blows straight out of it, like this View attachment 260905

View attachment 260902

View attachment 260903

Thanks for this. I'm interested, if you have any more to say or share. Do you know where the vents in your second pic can be purchased, or were those some kind of custom fab?

I suppose that the benefit here is not only preventing overheating, but providing some cooler air for the intake, which would in theory help a little bit with engine power?

p.s. For that second picture, the 97 TJ cowls have three sets of vents, not just one. ;-)

Here are the vents... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EMEPOS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here are instructions on how to make the vent behind the radiator I was trying to describe earlier. This would be very cool on the front bump of the hood, and a great way for radiator air to escape. I'd probably do two smaller ones to avoid cutting the hood bracing though. https://240sx.org/links/installs/hood/hood.htm

I'm not a fan of the look of those scallopped louvers, plus they reduce the size of the vent by a lot. I'd try to do your front vent like this, but make it small enough where you can bolt the GenRight louvres over the top as a backup plan if it doesn't turn out

hood12.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SSTJ
All I know is that the intake temp decreased about 5deg after the louvers went in.

Hi @jjvw . Can you say a bit more? I'm eager to hear how you measured the decrease. And did you notice (or were you able to actually measure) any difference in power due to cooler air intake? I'm wondering, for instance, how this might compare to various cool-air-intake systems.