Showing my ignorance again regarding diff cover

Bighammer

TJ Enthusiast
I couldn’t find any definitive answer as to what a good differential cover is supposed to do. I’m assuming that it’s stronger, and protects the gears when you smash your pumpkin on a rock(?) if they’re functional in that way, I’m sure there are good ones and bad.

My question is in regards to this specific one. “aFe Power” . Locally I can pick one up for about half price, unused ($150)

Are these any good? Looks beefy, has recessed bolt holes:

8487311F-8C69-41C9-9FF6-A196840DB962.png

X2 on the warning about some diff covers being so overly thick they cause interference with the track bar in the rear and/or interfere with the track bar and steering up front. That one in your photo looks pretty thick and to me seems to be likely it'd cause interference.

The diff cover I used to recommend due to it having zero interference problems is no longer available so I'd consider something like this. The below mount to the stock differential cover and gives plenty of protection without causing interference.

Something like either of the below...
https://www.morris4x4center.com/war...0y5PgvSUtaXyuPiTn9LC0goK2u44MPJxoCE8gQAvD_BwE

https://www.morris4x4center.com/roc...wG4_2PkhKk5gYgn5yUDG_Z0589jii-OxoCFwQQAvD_BwE

It's one of the dumbest diff covers I have seen in a long time. It would get in the way of everything near it.

100% agreed! I just don’t get how anyone would even justify that price for that hunk of metal!! More for the mall crawlers I guess!

I have tremendous respect for him and his design abilities. But, we all know that there are literally 1000's upon 1000's of TJ running around out there with diff covers that violate everything he points out as being desirable in a cover and we just don't see the problems he has "solved". Nothing against him, I just don't see that it really matters.

My #1 priority for a replacement cover was that it have a friggin' drain plug. Now 5 people will line up and tell you that you don't need/want a drain plug - but I do, so that's what I got. A well used ARB for the rear, and a new Teraflex for the front. The Teraflex was actually affordable - but I suggest a repaint before mounting one as its paint has NOT held up well.

Reactions: astjp2 and Hopper
My #1 priority for a replacement cover was that it have a friggin' drain plug. Now 5 people will line up and tell you that you don't need/want a drain plug - but I do, so that's what I got. A well used ARB for the rear, and a new Teraflex for the front. The Teraflex was actually affordable - but I suggest a repaint before mounting one as its paint has NOT held up well.

I appreciate a drain plug. I don’t consider it necessary, but nice. Some will say you need to inspect your gears every time you change the fluid but I find that kind of silly. How do the Toyota and Ford 3rd member axle owners do so?

Frankly I’m not worried about the condition of my gears unless I hear noise that tells me I should be. At that point I’d be pulling the diff cover or in the case of a third member axle, the third member.

I appreciate a drain plug. I don’t consider it necessary, but nice. Some will say you need to inspect your gears every time you change the fluid but I find that kind of silly. How do the Toyota and Ford 3rd member axle owners do so?

We pull the third. I'd much rather pull a cover.
Frankly I’m not worried about the condition of my gears unless I hear noise that tells me I should be. At that point I’d be pulling the diff cover or in the case of a third member axle, the third member.
I don't worry but I do like to take a little peek in there and make sure the ring gear bolts aren't backing out and I'm not seeing marks on the carrier from the pinion.

We pull the third. I'd much rather pull a cover.

I don't worry but I do like to take a little peek in there and make sure the ring gear bolts aren't backing out and I'm not seeing marks on the carrier from the pinion.
Fair enough. I don’t mind taking a peek on an axle with a diff cover that forces me to remove the cover, I just never really felt it necessary if I have the drain option. Or maybe at least not as often. But, I also haven’t ever been scarred by backed out bolts or pinions chewing carriers. If I had, my outlook on that would likely be a lot different.

Fair enough. I don’t mind taking a peek on an axle with a diff cover that forces me to remove the cover, I just never really felt it necessary if I have the drain option. Or maybe at least not as often. But, I also haven’t ever been scarred by backed out bolts or pinions chewing carriers. If I had, my outlook on that would likely be a lot different.

Come play in my world a bit and you'll cuss every drain plug that works on any diff. You have to know I'm more than smart enough and able enough to add one to almost anything that one can be added to. Why do I pull the third to drain the gear oil rather than add a drain plug?

That's right, the rocks will render it useless in short order or make it leak.

I wanted cheap but thick... Ended up with Poison Spider cover ($100) and it has lots of clearance with the steering linkage.
Wanted an ARB cover but could not stomach $200 for Dana 30 cover.

Come play in my world a bit and you'll cuss every drain plug that works on any diff. You have to know I'm more than smart enough and able enough to add one to almost anything that one can be added to. Why do I pull the third to drain the gear oil rather than add a drain plug?

That's right, the rocks will render it useless in short order or make it leak.

I fully believe you. I’m sure you wouldn’t pull a third to drain the fluid for fun. That sounds not fun at all especially since you’ll make a mess in at least 3 places. Lucky for me I live far from your world so I don’t have to worry about it. ;)

Although I am a bit more clear now. I did not realize from your first response that you meant you pull the third just to drain.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I fully believe you. I’m sure you wouldn’t pull a third to drain the fluid for fun. That sounds not fun at all especially since you’ll make a mess in at least 3 places. Lucky for me I live far from your world so I don’t have to worry about it. ;)

Although I am a bit more clear now. I did not realize from your first response that you meant you pull the third just to drain.

You have to pull it to change the oil and then use about 2 rolls of paper towels to soak up the half a quart that doesn't make it out over the mounting flange. You haven't enjoyed changing the oil until you get to disassemble the entire axle to just change the oil. Brakes, unit bearings, hubs, just to get to where you can slide the axles out far enough to get the third out and then you have to support that with a floor jack to just hold the stupid thing up. Ridiculous amount of work to change the oil.

Reactions: machoheadgames
I wanted cheap but thick... Ended up with Poison Spider cover ($100) and it has lots of clearance with the steering linkage.
Wanted an ARB cover but could not stomach $200 for Dana 30 cover.

I went with PS also, think they were like $89ea. on sale. Very strong and no clearance issues. We have so many rocks in PA!

Reactions: Akitadog