Side step suggestions (and yes I understand they provide no protection)

kmbarreiros

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey People,
Recently after purchasing my Jeep I had to remove the stock side steps in order to install the drivers side center safe t cap.
Removing them ending up breaking them as most of the bolts were rusted.

So I am back in the market for some basic side steps as both my wife and kids have asked for them.
I DO NOT NEED armor and I understand these provide no protection.

I have narrowed my search to the following:
These 2 seem the same and from what I gathered bolt to the body mounts.
$168 Smittybilt 3-Inch Sure Side Step Bars; Textured Black
$142 RedRock 3-Inch Round Side Step Bars; Textured Black

This one from what I have read do bolt to the frame but use included self tapping hardware.
$199 Rugged Ridge 3-Inch Round Nerf Side Step Bars; Textured Black
I think these are ones that you may be able to use nutserts but would need to buy them and install them separately. Which I am not apposed to.

I am leaning toward the RR because mounting to the frame even with self tappers seems to me would be stronger.

There are tons of reviews on all of them and the majority is positive. Looking to purchase in the next day or two.
Anyone have the body mounted style ones and can tell me how they are holding up and not against rocks but actually stepping on them to get in and out of the vehicle. Any other suggestions would be helpful also (under $200) please.

Thanks

I don’t have experience with any of those you linked to, but my Unlimited came with a set of tube steps. The rear portion was mounted to one of the body mount and the front was mounted to the underside of the body using existing bolts. Right where the bottom turns up towards the firewall. I took them off after a few months, but up until that point they were sturdy to stand on with no movement that I could tell.

If I were choosing from the ones you linked, I’d probably pick the ones that mount to the frame but I would use nutserts and appropriate sized bolts. I don’t know Why but that seems like it would be more secure than the self tappers. And , you won’t have to disturb your body mounts and possibly break a bolt trying to remove them. You may have a rust free Jeep and that wouldn’t be a problem anyway.

Dab some paint on the holes and let them dry after you drill them out.

I went with these steps from Rough Country.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/roug...de-step-bars-black-9706-tj-excluding-unl.html
20210403_131541(0).jpg

They were easy to install, bolt between the frame and body and are rock solid.

Yeah I think I am going to lean towards the RR ones.
Funny the are slightly cheaper on Quadratec but only have 3 reviews and the worst review is someone complaining about how they mount to the frame and require drilling!!!

rugged-ridge/side-step-bars-tj/textured-black

FYI I removed the body mounts when I was repairing the frame and they all came out. Those are not rusted.

I've never understood the concept of steps on lower Jeeps. My 5 year old nephew had no problems climbing in my lifted Jeep on 35s. It made a man out of him. :cool:
View attachment 317198
My daughter uses the Jeep as a jungle gym to get in and she’s proud she can

I've never understood the concept of steps on lower Jeeps. My 5 year old nephew had no problems climbing in and out of my lifted Jeep on 35s. It made a man out of him. :cool:
View attachment 317198
I added mine plus a set of grabars due to a back injury which made lifting my foot up high enough to get in almost impossible.

After having surgery to add a few aftermarket titanuim parts to fuse 3 vertebrae, I no longer use them but they still come in handy for my 83 yr old father to be able to ride with me.

I have had the red rock ones on for a at least 2 years. I like the look, they make a great foot rest when sitting in the jeep waiting around. I don't think I have ever stepped on them since the first week. any passengers I bring along use them but always bump their head on the way in (which is why I don't use them, and I am a short guy).

Reactions: MountaineerTom
:unsure:
Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Ships Directly From Supplier
Estimated Ship Date: Tomorrow
Funny used the same link I posted.
I should have said they don't seem to be as popular as they used to be(for TJ's).
I can remember 10-15 years ago they were selling a lot more and that is what everyone on the forums was getting or talking about or recommending.

Already arrived, will install tomorrow.
20220325_180346.jpg
20220325_183129.jpg

Also got some stickers.
20220325_180506.jpg

FYI that Jeep forum sticker is probably 12 years old. Never put it on my last jeep.