Tennessee Sightseeing Trails In The Smokeys

Tim Redman

TJ Enthusiast
We're going to be heading up to Pigeon Forge at the beginning of October.

Does anybody have recommendations for Jeep or forest trails in that area? We'll be wheeling by ourselves, so nothing hard core, we just kinda want to spend some time in nature.

The only thing I know of is Windrock Park. There are 3 Jeep Badge of Honor Trails there, doesn't seem too far away from Pigeon Forge, maybe a hour or so...I would definitely be going there and getting those 3 badges! Those could be a little much though if you more interested in just spending some time outdoors and relaxing though. I would absolutely have to check out Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Reactions: Tim Redman
The only thing I know of is Windrock Park. There are 3 Jeep Badge of Honor Trails there, doesn't seem too far away from Pigeon Forge, maybe a hour or so...I would definitely be going there and getting those 3 badges! Those could be a little much though if you more interested in just spending some time outdoors and relaxing though. I would absolutely have to check out Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Good to know! I’m dying to get my Jeep up that way. My in laws have some land up in Eidson a little north of Rogersville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Reactions: Tim Redman
Look into Parsons Branch Rd. and Rich Mtn Road off Cades Cove. They are basically gravel roads, not really challenging, but very scenic and not traveled much. Worth the drive IMO.
That's more what we're looking for. Just want to get out and see a little bit of nature, the higher elevation the better. And since we're going to be a caravan of one, don't really want to get stuck anywhere trying to climb the mountains the hard way. Some of my recovery gear will be with me, but a lot of my tools will still be in Florida. ;)

Look into Parsons Branch Rd. and Rich Mtn Road off Cades Cove. They are basically gravel roads, not really challenging, but very scenic and not traveled much. Worth the drive IMO.
Thanks for the suggestion! We just got back from our trip. Parsons Branch Rd was closed for unknown reasons, but Rich Mountain Rd was open, and it was a beautiful ride. We covered a lot of ground on the mountain roads up there, and there were no bad views.

O
Thanks for the suggestion! We just got back from our trip. Parsons Branch Rd was closed for unknown reasons, but Rich Mountain Rd was open, and it was a beautiful ride. We covered a lot of ground on the mountain roads up there, and there were no bad views.[/QUOT
Thanks for the suggestion! We just got back from our trip. Parsons Branch Rd was closed for unknown reasons, but Rich Mountain Rd was open, and it was a beautiful ride. We covered a lot of ground on the mountain roads up there, and there were no bad views.
My husband and I are headed down on the 18th so I'm hoping we can check out these roads and enjoy the sights. Any other suggestions? We are going over to Bryson on that following Saturday for a train ride and we will take the dragon's tail back to pigeon forge. If I could talk him into leaving Ohio, Tennessee would be an excellent option!

O

My husband and I are headed down on the 18th so I'm hoping we can check out these roads and enjoy the sights. Any other suggestions? We are going over to Bryson on that following Saturday for a train ride and we will take the dragon's tail back to pigeon forge. If I could talk him into leaving Ohio, Tennessee would be an excellent option!
Your timing is pretty good, then. A lot of those mountain roads are scheduled to close Nov 1 for the winter, so now's the time to check them out, and you're be really hard pressed to find a mountain road in the Smokeys, paved or not, that isn't a terrific view. There's good hiking, too, in that area, but be aware that most trails there are about a three to four hour roundtrip, so budget your time accordingly.

Reactions: Artemis