Silver Lake Sand Dunes Camping and Wheeling - Michigan

Chris G

TJ Enthusiast
Hey Everyone,

Just thought I'd share a few photos and videos from a quick camping and wheeling trip with my son and my friend to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in west Michigan. We're a bit north of Detroit so it was about a 3 1/2 hour drive out from my house.

The Jeep was great on the highway and on the dunes. New tires BFG AT, OME lift and all of the general maintenance items (u-joints, bushings, etc.) made for a much better trip than it would have been when I first bought the Jeep a bit over a year ago.

We left mid-morning and set up camp before heading out to the dunes. We took the top and doors off (put the top at the back of the camp site and the doors in the tent) then headed out.

Camp Set Up.jpg

Here are a few photos from the first day. Beautiful weather and found a lot of great places to park and talk to other Jeepers as well.

Day one front.jpg
Day one on the dunes.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

Parked next to some other TJs (and a YJ) for a quick walk along Lake Michigan.

Day one parked by other TJs.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

We stopped to check out the drag strip for a little while before heading back to camp.

Had a great time back at the campsite at night. My wife was thrilled when my son came back from the trip trying to 'cheers' everyone.

IMG_3193.jpg

There was a surprise rain about 4am. We hopped up and put the top back on before the Jeep got too wet, but it was a pretty rainy morning.

Day 2 raining at camp.JPG

After we packed up, we took a few more trips around the dunes before heading home. Overall a great trip, and we can't wait to go back again soon.

Catch any air on test hill? lol
Haha, no. I spent a good amount of time on Youtube while I was supposed to be working the week before watching SLSD fails while so I was quite careful. And the videos make it seem like 'sending it' is a much bigger risk than it turns out to be in a TJ!

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Ahhh yes played in a sandbox when I was a kid...the box is just bigger now.

Looks like heaps of fun...your son will have great memories

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Haha, no. I spent a good amount of time on Youtube while I was supposed to be working the week before watching SLSD fails while so I was quite careful. And the videos make it seem like 'sending it' is a much bigger risk than it turns out to be in a TJ!
Right! Last time I was there, I had one opportunity to maybe catch air...maybe. The dude parked next to me yelled "send it" but I was already slowing down. He seemed disappointed...but I just laughed. My wrangler was factory stock at the time too! Its kind of a delicate balance to get enough speed to make the top of the dune, but not so much that you fall off the backside...at least for me and my 4:1 low range. I gotta do SLSD in high range...

at least for me and my 4:1 low range. I gotta do SLSD in high range...
Mine's a Rubi, and I wasn't sure if I'd have to do it in high range or if low range would be usable. 4th gear in low range turned out to be the hill killer. Did every one without issue.

Reactions: Mike_H
Hey Everyone,

Just thought I'd share a few photos and videos from a quick camping and wheeling trip with my son and my friend to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in west Michigan. We're a bit north of Detroit so it was about a 3 1/2 hour drive out from my house.

The Jeep was great on the highway and on the dunes. New tires BFG AT, OME lift and all of the general maintenance items (u-joints, bushings, etc.) made for a much better trip than it would have been when I first bought the Jeep a bit over a year ago.

We left mid-morning and set up camp before heading out to the dunes. We took the top and doors off (put the top at the back of the camp site and the doors in the tent) then headed out.

View attachment 181344

Here are a few photos from the first day. Beautiful weather and found a lot of great places to park and talk to other Jeepers as well.

View attachment 181348View attachment 181349
View attachment 181352

Parked next to some other TJs (and a YJ) for a quick walk along Lake Michigan.

View attachment 181350

View attachment 181351

We stopped to check out the drag strip for a little while before heading back to camp.

View attachment 181356

Had a great time back at the campsite at night. My wife was thrilled when my son came back from the trip trying to 'cheers' everyone.

View attachment 181353

There was a surprise rain about 4am. We hopped up and put the top back on before the Jeep got too wet, but it was a pretty rainy morning.

View attachment 181355

After we packed up, we took a few more trips around the dunes before heading home. Overall a great trip, and we can't wait to go back again soon.

View attachment 181357
View attachment 181358
Looks like an awesome time! I haven’t been there since I was about as tall as your kiddo. Gotta get back there some day.

I was overly impressed with my rigs capabilities at SLSD. I had done the same thing, watched videos and spent hours on the forums. As a new TJ owner I was a little apprehensive at first as I planned my first trip to the dunes a few weeks ago. We traveled with some friends and their TJ and they were able to show us the ropes. The 2.5L performed flawlessly in the sand. I ran 4H on the flat stuff and crawled up test hill in 4L-3rd gear with ease. SLSD is an easy day trip for us in Northern MIchigan, headed back this weekend to enjoy the SAND BOX!