Since when have Cherokee XJ's started to go up in price?

Expand your search outside of the northeast. XJ’s are over 20 years old nowadays… anything left up there is going to be rusted out or top dollar.

Reactions: Irun
Reactions: HardSell
I really miss mine, also stolen right off driveway, 10 ft from neighbor's bedroom window. Today's thieves just put 'em up on a flat bed in under 5 and haul 'em off. Wreckers never get pulled over for loud pipes. The '87 with Dana 44 and fiberglass rear hatch is a prize to find. Mine had 285k, factory ordered; Wheeled hard and long. That unit had more heart than I ever thought possible. Was just about to put in a third interior. Peugeot 5 sp gear box never gave me the slightest trouble. Throwout bearing fork was another story. The fourth one I had put in was really beefed up. Reinforced and stiffened unibody at 140,000 miles. That XJ was the best vehicle I ever owned and that includes my proper TJR! I miss that Cherokee.
The TIMEX of Jeeps. Had mine 15 years, wheel it regularly and it keeps on ticking. It's built, tho'.
$15k would be my absolute minimum to sell. Wouldn't last a week locally at that price.

The TIMEX of Jeeps. Had mine 15 years, wheel it regularly and it keeps on ticking. It's built, tho'.
$15k would be my absolute minimum to sell. Wouldn't last a week locally at that price.
$15k might be a steal for someone these days. Just prior to the pandemic, a friend of mine passed up a '96 Sport with 33s, ARBs, automatic, offered for $1700 because the rear main leaked a little. Mine leaked for about 200,000 miles. I would bet that the total amount ever leaked was less than a cup of oil. One of the fellows I wheeled with has a 96 Sport on 32s and he out wheels me in my TJR on 33s. He's lighter weight and has the perfect 101 inch wheel base.

XJ-1.png

XJ-2.png

XJ-3.png

Reactions: Squatch and NOTNSUV
Finishing up a little restoration on my 100% stock 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ, all numbers matching, 127k original, Black on tan, 4.0 6L, 4x4.

Everything works perfect, no rust, rocker panels are perfect! All the major work was just done at a local high end 4x4 shop, new head, rear main seal replaced, oil gasket seal replaced, front and rear diffs serviced, nothing is leaking at all, not a drop! Transfer case rebuilt a bit so no slipping getting in and out of 4WD. New starter, new battery and heavy duty battery cables upgraded, new exhaust system as close to stock as possible, new brakes including new drums and calipers, new shocks, new ball joints, all factory speck type parts, no cheepie parts, no modifications at all. NEW O2 CENSORS AND NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT! New tires, new lug nuts and refurbished original factory rims. New carpets and headliner. Matching full sized spare and wheel in the back! Origional radio with new wiring and new speakers, door check fixed on drivers side. All origional! Still need to add a few little details like the origional 4x4 decals on the rear panels, a few little dings need to be popped and maybe the pain detailed a bit. Also going to add the stock fog lights and stock bumper hooks which I have already purchased. This thing is so origional it even has those terrible factory Wagner headlights that are dim AF!

So what do you guys think???? IF I PUT IT UP FOR SALE WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK I CAN GET FOR IT???

Thanks for your input.

20210626_200203.png

Finishing up a little restoration on my 100% stock 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ, all numbers matching, 127k original, Black on tan, 4.0 6L, 4x4.

Everything works perfect, no rust, rocker panels are perfect! All the major work was just done at a local high end 4x4 shop, new head, rear main seal replaced, oil gasket seal replaced, front and rear diffs serviced, nothing is leaking at all, not a drop! Transfer case rebuilt a bit so no slipping getting in and out of 4WD. New starter, new battery and heavy duty battery cables upgraded, new exhaust system as close to stock as possible, new brakes including new drums and calipers, new shocks, new ball joints, all factory speck type parts, no cheepie parts, no modifications at all. NEW O2 CENSORS AND NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT! New tires, new lug nuts and refurbished original factory rims. New carpets and headliner. Matching full sized spare and wheel in the back! Origional radio with new wiring and new speakers, door check fixed on drivers side. All origional! Still need to add a few little details like the origional 4x4 decals on the rear panels, a few little dings need to be popped and maybe the pain detailed a bit. Also going to add the stock fog lights and stock bumper hooks which I have already purchased. This thing is so origional it even has those terrible factory Wagner headlights that are dim AF!

So what do you guys think???? IF I PUT IT UP FOR SALE WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK I CAN GET FOR IT???

Thanks for your input.

View attachment 311101
It's gorgeous 😍

Reactions: HardSell
So what do you guys think???? I
Why do you want to sell it? You'll need to pay 40 grand for something new which can match that XJ's basic capability. Any new unit will not hold up like what you have. Any new unit cannot be worked on. Unless you're goaded into going all electric there's nothing that can replace that XJ. The only thing you may consider is they'll be outlawed by the leftist elites. I really miss mine. Recall before mine was stolen, I test drove a 2019 JLR; turned in the keys and hopped back into my 285,000 mile '87 and continued the love affair.

Mine is semi-mild but very solid build, I wheel it regularly on trails, mud, snow, recoveries, etc. and it just keeps on going. 160k mi approx.
Yours is bone stock and really nice. I agree with @HardSell, hang on to it unless it's a cash flow problem. I see no upside to selling something that nice that's irreplaceable.
If you insist tho', I'd ask $20k with today's market.

I get offered 15k for mine and turn it down but it's kind of apples/oranges. Some folks want the mods done, others want stock like yours and keep it that way, and still others want factory stock to 'build' from scratch.

Plenty of Jeep folks think the XJ model should have continued.
917ec4456cf2b0253e07621fcda28f54.jpg

Thanks for your input.

View attachment 311101
Maybe go over to http://www.naxja.org with your question.

• Haha
Reactions: HardSell and PCO6
Plenty of Jeep folks think the XJ model should have continued.
Manufacturers never continue anything that approaches perfection. Too many hand changes at the helm; egos, etc. After owning and wheeling a properly built TJ Rubicon (replaced stolen XJ) for more than 2 years, I can verifiably attest that overall, a built XJ (must include chassis stiffening) is the better platform. The Wrangler has suffered from designers who never wheeled anything. The JLs are just now approaching where the XJ was 35 years ago except for affordability, ease of repair and possibility, longevity.

Something I never thought I'd read associated with Cherokees...Numbers matching, all original. Next, we'll be celebrating a "barn find" basket case :rolleyes:
I recently looked a an 01 XJ. The owner was asking 5600.00, advertised as very good condition with 3” lift and 31” tires.
Tires, brakes and ball joints were beat.
The floors were in horrible shape and it was loosing coolant among other problems.
I actually laughed at the seller. He said it had great bones for restoration and it’s actually worth about 10k.

• Wow
Reactions: Mike_H
I recently looked a an 01 XJ. The owner was asking 5600.00, advertised as very good condition with 3” lift and 31” tires.
Tires, brakes and ball joints were beat.
The floors were in horrible shape and it was loosing coolant among other problems.
I actually laughed at the seller. He said it had great bones for restoration and it’s actually worth about 10k.
I blame David Tracy (a writer that used to work for jalopnik). He would tout how great his XJ's are to anyone that would lissten. Then he started talking about Holy Grail XJ's and ZJs (those with manual transmissions). Its all asinine.