Since when have Cherokee XJ's started to go up in price?

Manufacturers never continue anything that approaches perfection. Too many hand changes at the helm; egos, etc. After owning and wheeling a properly built TJ Rubicon (replaced stolen XJ) for more than 2 years, I can verifiably attest that overall, a built XJ (must include chassis stiffening) is the better platform. The Wrangler has suffered from designers who never wheeled anything. The JLs are just now approaching where the XJ was 35 years ago except for affordability, ease of repair and possibility, longevity.
I dunno that I’d call an XJ a better platform but it definitely has a better wheelbase.

I blame David Tracy (a writer that used to work for jalopnik). He would tout how great his XJ's are to anyone that would lissten. Then he started talking about Holy Grail XJ's and ZJs (those with manual transmissions). Its all asinine.
They’re nothing great. They were just an inexpensive 4x4. Resale on them was never good either. I was looking for one as a first vehicle for one of my kids.
One other thing that I’ve noticed is that XJ’s seem to puke motors much more often than a TJ.

They’re nothing great. They were just an inexpensive 4x4. Resale on them was never good either. I was looking for one as a first vehicle for one of my kids.
One other thing that I’ve noticed is that XJ’s seem to puke motors much more often than a TJ.
They run hotter. I have a buddy that is into XJs. He is always overheating. There smaller front profile is a problem, as well as the auxillary electric fan. The electric fan goes out and all of a sudden, the thing runs hot.

"I dunno that I’d call an XJ a better platform"

I needed to be strapped up the same ledges I easily climbed years ago in my old XJ on 31s (Hole in the Rock). Also, I never needed to haul 5-10 gallons of gas doing long remote trails.

"One other thing that I’ve noticed is that XJ’s seem to puke motors much more often than a TJ."

285k on mine...never touched before stolen, expected to go 400k or more. Still got 20-21 mpg on interstates doing 75mph. Can only do 65 in the TJ to get 16 mpg.

"They run hotter. The electric fan goes out and all of a sudden, the thing runs hot."

I hard wired the aux fan with a toggle switch.....a $5 no brainer fix. Lack of money demands creative thinking.

"it's not as good for wheeling as a TJ/LJ are - primarily because of the body on frame of a TJ vs the Unibody."

I already addressed that chassis stiffening was necessary for serious wheeling. I agree regarding the LJ's superior capability as long as a tummy tuck is done. Driving the XJ, I never needed to tolerate the constant vibration, wear and tear of a constantly spinning front shaft. If I keep my TJR, I'll need to install hubs and get a Billdawg top. The 4 door Cherokee cargo access was superior. Wranglers could/should have been much better. I've experienced both platforms. Four door Wranglers solve many faults, but are not as fun to wheel and are too wide for TJ trails. This is my experience wheeling both platforms. I've seen many built Wranglers trailered by $60,000 trucks only to do the same job "as a first vehicle for one of my kids". Extravagant, but not efficient.

Just buy an LJ ;)

Most the guys I've met with XJs love them but recognize it's not as good for wheeling as a TJ/LJ are - primarily because of the body on frame of a TJ vs the Unibody.

Not that it matters, because they're the same thing, but the term Jeep used was "uniframe". Unibody vehicles had been around for years by the time XJs came out. Maybe it was a marketing thing to make buyers think they were getting something stronger. :unsure:

Just buy an LJ ;)
Very tunnel visioned advice. Why? My son factory ordered his 2005 LJR. Still has it, but seldom drives it. Flashback to 2005: so, we go to Moab. We're both on 31s, lockered. I took the lead up Rose Garden Hill. The XJ climbed without issues. This was before I had to stiffen the chassis 4 years later. When he arrived at the big step 2/3 up, the LJR center hung! The stupid belly pan on that wheel base required an hour of jacking and rock piling to get his brand new LJR up to finish the trail. He didn't like that after witnessing the ease with which my old worthless Cherokee climbed that hill. He ended up with some minor faux-diamond-plate rocker panel damage. Before continuing to build it, he suffered an OPDA failure. Factory warranty covered the $4500+ engine work. At that time my '87XJ had 180,000 untouched engine miles on it and was valued at about $2700. Before that trip, son thought I should get rid of the XJ and spring for a TJ. My eyewitness experience suggested otherwise. So, he modestly built up his LJR to ride on 33s with a $400 tummy tuck. He then wheeled Pritchett Canyon with his mechanic friend who drives an XJ on 32s. Both survived and have videos. The XJ required no further attention. The LJR managed Pritchett well, but ended up with newly acquired suspension and drivability issues requiring another $2000 of build up to 35s. The LJR was finally complete; as worthy if not more so than the inglorious XJ. Son and his wife subsequently bought two JKURs: a 3.8L soon dumped for a 3.6L, while the now very capable LJR rests in the lesser used part of their garage. Reason for abandonment despite being built to near buggy like capability: poor cargo access, poor top management; comparatively poor gas mileage and outdated drivability. For me, the issue is not that TJs are bad, the issue is they should have been much better. Rather than being innovative, it was the aftermarket which drove the TJ's development. My '87 XJ, long before Rubicons appeared, had factory front axle disconnects (never an issue), factory Dana 44, lockers, lift, quick disconnects and 31s. So, what would I drive if it was available? I'd own a two door JLUR pickup with a short block V8, the Japanese 6 speed manual, half doors (no power windows), manageable top, bumper mounted spare, a real flip down tailgate and no stinking screens nor proximity keys and a lot of theft prevention. Perhaps these will be available in Paradise (not the California one).

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondie70
Perhaps you may not have realized this, but you’re arguing how great you think the XJ is on a TJ forum, nobody cares.
Also all the cons there sound like operator error, there's not much meat to to on aside from the XJ being enclosed. Don't get me wrong, I love XJs.

PIN13ba6155002596cab84840000fa6726a.jpg

Reactions: HardSell
I like XJs, and if I had to daily drive my wheeling rig? Hell yeah, XJ all the way. They aren't as fun as TJs, though, IMHO. They are hell for capable too, until to start wanting big tires. Then the ridiculously small wheel wells get in the way, and you have to start cutting. This is my buddies rig, we've wheeled it all over Michigan... Broken it, fixed it, bounced it off trees, gotten it stuck, etc. The tramsmission finally went out so he's taking the good stuff and junking the rest. It was on 35s, with 6 inches or so of lift and cut fenders. Had a 4.7 stroker and 4.88s. high pinion 30 and Chrsyler 8.25. limited slip in the rear, Spartan locker up front.
20170408_121618.jpg

This is his next one that will get the good stuff
IMG_20210514_170717601.jpg

Perhaps you may not have realized this, but you’re arguing how great you think the XJ is on a TJ forum, nobody cares.

"Since when have Cherokee XJ's started to go up in price?" Uh, I don't see "TJ" mentioned in the thread title. Comprehension deficit? I'm ok with with the TJR that replaced the XJ, but the platform falls short of what should have been accomplished in 18 years of development. JKUs and JLUs attempt to blend the advantages of 35 year old 4 door family XJ versatility/capability with Wrangler sportiness, topless "freedom" and the advantages of large wheel well tub on frame. The deficit, however, sacrifices simplicity and affordability making it a zero sum game. Forums are for sharing opinions, experiences and knowledge. Your claim/attack of my post regarding my experience with an XJ not belonging under "Other Jeeps" is a non sequitur. Hence, the bold font to assist you with comprehension. I find myself also needing to do this when commenting in liberal political forums.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondie70

"Since when have Cherokee XJ's started to go up in price?" Uh, I don't see "TJ" mentioned in the thread title. Comprehension deficit? I'm ok with with the TJR that replaced the XJ, but the platform falls short of what should have been accomplished in 18 years of development. JKUs and JLUs attempt to blend the advantages of 35 year old 4 door family XJ versatility/capability with Wrangler sportiness, topless "freedom" and the advantages of large wheel well tub on frame. The deficit, however, sacrifices simplicity and affordability making it a zero sum game. Forums are for sharing opinions, experiences and knowledge. Your claim/attack of my post regarding my experience with an XJ not belonging under "Other Jeeps" is a non sequitur. Hence, the bold font to assist you with comprehension. I find myself also needing to do this when commenting in liberal political forums.​

You forgot the caps lock.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT