Sinning...in thought only

Have to say...been sinning too. Doesn't help my bud has a JKUR. I looked it over and I was thinking...wow look at the skids it has, nice "tummy tuck" already. Runs a larger tire easy. Etc....

Then I start doing math....lets see I need new u joints, bushings, ball joints, springs and shocks, probably axle stuff like bearings and seals - or a super 30 and 35 kit....and on and on....

So, if I trade in the TJ I can get a ________ instead and basically add wheels and tires, winch, go wheeling.....

Or do the work on the TJ with 150k on the odometer....or get a TJR or an LJ......

Sinning and sinning....

SC

Have to say...been sinning too. Doesn't help my bud has a JKUR. I looked it over and I was thinking...wow look at the skids it has, nice "tummy tuck" already. Runs a larger tire easy. Etc....

Then I start doing math....lets see I need new u joints, bushings, ball joints, springs and shocks, probably axle stuff like bearings and seals - or a super 30 and 35 kit....and on and on....

So, if I trade in the TJ I can get a ________ instead and basically add wheels and tires, winch, go wheeling.....

Or do the work on the TJ with 150k on the odometer....or get a TJR or an LJ......

Sinning and sinning....

SC

OR, you can do the math on the monthly payments you'd be making on the JKUR, and figure up what else you can do with all that money on your current TJ.

Lots of things to consider.

Oh there would be no payment. I would get a used JK - 2 door.

That's the math split....cost to change or put the $$ into the TJ. It really doesn't matter if one is "cheaper". Only if one makes more sense to ME. They are still jeeps after all....so ALL will need work done...

Just Empty Every Pocket — always comes to mind....lol

The two JKs I had (both green...)

img_0752_zpsgjdpafd8-jpg.15163.jpg

DSCF0001-1.jpg

The Rubicon had the 3.8, the Sport the 3.6. The 3.6, even with 3.27 axle gears & an automatic, was hands down the faster, more powerful of the two. The Rubicon had the NSG370 6-speed manual, and I was not impressed with that transmission - was really noisy off-road.

My mom and dad have a 2 Dr JK sahara. They bought it about a week after I gave them a ride in my TJ! Its nice and all, but I don't have a connection with it, like I do my TJ. I've only put 2,000 miles on it, but its already the favorite car I've ever owned, hands down. Its like an old hot rod or english sports car. Its Iconic and visceral. You are not isolated from the vehicle, like so many new cars, you a part of it. You can feel the geartrain through the shifter, the engine through the floorboards, and tires through the steering wheel. The vehicle almost has a life of its own, you can tell when she's healthy or not, and she'll make you happy or not by how you take care of her.

Reactions: UpperMI
I'm one that tends to hang on to my vehicles. I've owned my TJ for12 years with almost 150K on the clock. Our Isuzu Rodeo for 16 years with 192K. It's nice not having car payments, and there is always something to do to them to keep them reliable. I've considered selling the Rodeo for a JKU, but can't stomach paying $30K+ for a SUV. They will bury me in my TJ, so it ain't going nowhere.

Reactions: StG58
This sums it up for me View attachment 15210

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
"A JK is not a real Jeep, Carl!" lol, Right?!

Drove the JKU and the TJ back to back today, and paid close attention to each. Hands down, the TJ fits me much, much better. It's a Jeep, and feels like one. It's smaller and more intimate. You can hear the mechanicals working, you feel the gears shift when you go through them. The top makes it's own noises. You feel and hear the tires on the road. You feel the road in the steering. There's a lot of sensory input with a TJ, and it connects you to what's around you. You have to think about what gear to select and what RPM to run. You can feel the suspension work at sucking up and managing the bumps and imperfections. TJ's are very tactile and immersive. JK's are not. I can understand now why a million JK's have been sold to everyone and their second cousin. I'm sure that they are as, or more, capable than a TJ, but the experience is totally different. A TJ immerses you in the world and a JK moves you through it.

Drove the JKU and the TJ back to back today, and paid close attention to each. Hands down, the TJ fits me much, much better. It's a Jeep, and feels like one. It's smaller and more intimate. You can hear the mechanicals working, you feel the gears shift when you go through them. The top makes it's own noises. You feel and hear the tires on the road. You feel the road in the steering. There's a lot of sensory input with a TJ, and it connects you to what's around you. You have to think about what gear to select and what RPM to run. You can feel the suspension work at sucking up and managing the bumps and imperfections. TJ's are very tactile and immersive. JK's are not. I can understand now why a million JK's have been sold to everyone and their second cousin. I'm sure that they are as, or more, capable than a TJ, but the experience is totally different. A TJ immerses you in the world and a JK moves you through it.

So....you decided to trade the TJ for the JKR then? :)

Well said @StG58.

I kinda get it... today I started up the Li'l Wrascal and it did its' fussy, high pitched, grindy thing it does (that no one seems worried about but me)... I started out the drive and the little biatch stalls out and won't start again ... I think it's completely dead and I literally begin to cry (it's a frustrated girl thing, you wouldn't understand) so I turned it off and had a moment (very attractive) and tried it again... after a rough second it fired up and I said "fuck it, let's go". The Wrascal drove me all day here and there, no issue. At least once a day I think about ditching this beast, but then I just can't. It's true love... sucks the life outta you. Can't leave.

Last edited:
I kinda get it... today I started up the Li'l Wrascal and it did its' fussy, high pitched, grindy thing it does (that no one seems worried about but me)... I started out the drive and the little biatch stalls out and won't start again ... I think it's completely dead and I literally begin to cry (it's a frustrated girl thing, you wouldn't understand) so I turned it off and had a moment (very attractive) and tried it again... after a rough second it fired up and I said "fuck it, let's go". The Wrascal drove me all day here and there, no issue. At least once a day I think about ditching this beast, but then I just can't. It's true love... sucks the life outta you. Can't leave.
Ahhh, the things we put up with in our relationships! You've hit on something here, actually. You can develop a relationship with your TJ. No matter how much of an attitude your TJ develops, it's still your TJ.

Reactions: Chris
Just back from a trip to Utah Idaho and Oregon. For us the following reasons are why I bought the four door JK UL.
Highway: 80 MPH (where legal) no problem, hills and wind no problem. Room for all of the things necessary for mama to be happy on the trip no problem. Bringing all of the "new" things home no problem. The Jeep was still clean in the picture but after climbing to the top of the mountain behind us and getting into some snow and mild mud holes she got dirty still no problem. Now we traveled over 3000 miles averaged 19.2 mpg and the only mechanical issue was the pump for the windshield washer quit working (makes noise but no squirt). Could have done it in a TJ sure but not as comfortable for us at our age. Now I still like the TJ but saw the jeep I would garage and keep pristine at the War Hawks Memorial in Boise ( WW vintage Willy's totally restored) now that is a REAL JEEP!! Like the back and forth but to me a Jeep is a Jeep and I say enjoy what you have as life is short and fleeting.

The "Bench" above my dads old farm Beaver Utah!!!!
utah-sage-brush.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualRussel
I looked at a couple JKs and i have to say they are built for the wannabes with money. All luxury and no real purpose. My neighbor has one and he won't take it off road because of the price tag. WTF? Why own a Jeep if you plan to baby it?

Nah, for field serviceability, aftermarket support, reliability and resale value I've decided to go with the G63 Gelandewagon with the optional 650 hp V-12.
View attachment 15224
Love those wheels!
:yikes::meparto:

You don't want to know how much parts and maintenance will cost for that thing, haha.

Reactions: MikeM and StG58