SJ’s TJ

Great news and glad it's back on the road. Now take it easy with it while you break in the gears.

Yep I loved the little wiggle now and then form my Detroit I use to have.
My step daughter was riding with me one day not long after I'd installed it and it POPPED & Wiggled real good as I was going around a corner and her eyes are as big as silver dollars. She's like "You Broke Your Jeep" and mom's gunna be pissed. I'd already spent way too much on it. So I explained to her why it did what it did and that it was OK.

About 6 months later in it's summer time so she's borrowed my TJ on my day off to run some errands. Same step daughter is with her as the Jeep does the same thing as she was pulling into a shopping center. So step daughter looks at her with a straight face and big eyes and goes MOOOOOM Rick is going to be SOOOOOO PISSSSSED that you just broke his Jeep. You know how much he loves his Jeep. So her mom is getting worried and calls me to come pick her up. So when I get there the ex-wife is looking really worried and of course starts off with the " I didn't do anything WRONG" So I let her get thru the whole story as my step daughter is smiling behind her mom nodding her head. So I crawl under the Jeep to make it look good and wiggle a few things and then climb back up as the daughter finally looses it and is laughing her ass off. Of course the ex wasn't real happy with either one of us. But it was a GREAT PRANK....
I'm re-using my old gears, just with new bearings and such. Do I still do a similar break-in procedure as new gears?

I remember reading that story about the detroit, good stuff. I need to drive it more to get a feel for it. I'm excited about getting back on the trail.

I'm re-using my old gears, just with new bearings and such. Do I still do a similar break-in procedure as new gears?

I remember reading that story about the detroit, good stuff. I need to drive it more to get a feel for it. I'm excited about getting back on the trail.
As long as you are putting the pattern back where it was you only want to make a short trip to ensure the pinion bearings are not to hot and you should be good to go.

Reactions: Wildman and Sj's TJ
Small update. I got tired of black wheels so I’m starting the process of removing the plastidip from the wheels. 3 down, 2 to go:
F76568A5-3344-4DC1-A5D7-AC483BE16744.jpeg
I’ve also updated the Atlas shift knobs because I was able to get the for free with the points from the Atlas purchase:
DCF95225-549F-4869-8A67-F00A21B4FAFE.jpeg
I’m also in the process removing my rear liner and flares in anticipation of some aluminum corner armor.

Here’s a pic of the other side with all wheels now fully stripped:
View attachment 225249I also pulled the the rear fenders and liners in anticipation of some rear corner armor that should be here at the end of the month.
Looks so much better with silver wheels! I also had to laugh at an older post when you described the 5:1 low range of the Atlas. You've got to be the only person in the world to say your 4 banger wrangler was going "too fast!". Lol

Reactions: Sj's TJ
Looks so much better with silver wheels! I also had to laugh at an older post when you described the 5:1 low range of the Atlas. You've got to be the only person in the world to say your 4 banger wrangler was going "too fast!". Lol
Don't discount the big block 4 banger my friend :p I'm probably also the only idiot to put an Atlas behind the powerhouse AX-5 transmission. Like @Irun with his build on 31's, I've kept her light an nimble. I'm running 7lbs of pressure offroad and It looks like I can go even lower. This is on load C Cooper SST tires.

Great build! You went from free Jeep to an Atlas in 3 pages :). I like the pace of your build, warp speed! Lets see some wheeling pics

Here are some pics of the little bit of fabrication I did for these:
A5F8DF39-0F53-44A5-9529-D82D3F6A527A.jpeg

3D797189-FEF7-4C2F-ACC3-DC6378349A73.jpeg

BB419D4C-29A3-4045-B9B6-FC4966DBF7E6.jpeg

F8F3B08E-0D9B-409B-9AC7-7A1918475CAF.jpeg
I had some existing body damage so that made some of the nutserts fun to install. Overall, it was pretty simple and love how it turned out.

Looks good in here. Did you have to adjust your steering stops at all for the factory wheels and 35's? or are you running any spacers, wheel or stops? I haven't read through this whole thing yet.

Looks good in here. Did you have to adjust your steering stops at all for the factory wheels and 35's? or are you running any spacers, wheel or stops? I haven't read through this whole thing yet.
Added a washer for steering stops and I run a 1" spacer. It still rubs a bit at full lock on the lower CAs, but nowhere else so I just run it.

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
Added a washer for steering stops and I run a 1" spacer. It still rubs a bit at full lock on the lower CAs, but nowhere else so I just run it.
Nice, just read thru the whole thread. I like that you rock the 4cyl with the atlas. And the truss on the 44 is a good idea.

i may order that barnes truss now that I see that.

Nice, just read thru the whole thread. I like that you rock the 4cyl with the atlas. And the truss on the 44 is a good idea.

i may order that barnes truss now that I see that.
Thanks. For mostly trail running the 4 banger does the job for me, just got to keep her light. A note on that Barnes Truss. I would recommend relocating the brake block to on top of the angled part of the truss. That way you can just drill a hole for the breather if that makes sense.

Thanks. For mostly trail running the 4 banger does the job for me, just got to keep her light. A note on that Barnes Truss. I would recommend relocating the brake block to on top of the angled part of the truss. That way you can just drill a hole for the breather if that makes sense.
That does make sense, good Idea. I see Barnes makes 2 truss's for the 44 both fit the TJ. One like yours pictured and a bigger one. 60$ vs 100$. The 100$ seems more geared towards if a guy is going to weld links to it. Which i am not.

That does make sense, good Idea. I see Barnes makes 2 truss's for the 44 both fit the TJ. One like yours pictured and a bigger one. 60$ vs 100$. The 100$ seems more geared towards if a guy is going to weld links to it. Which i am not.
The cheaper one I have is beefy enough for links on top in my opinion. You still need to fab it up to make work, but it's pretty simple since it fits between the upper CA mounts.

That armor looks awesome! Especially in raw aluminum

So... when's the first trial run with it? :D
Thanks dude. I'm not sure really. I can't make the run on the 27th and then April and May I'm coaching my son's soccer team which will take ever Saturday during those months. So either June or sneak out before the 27th.

Thanks dude. I'm not sure really. I can't make the run on the 27th and then April and May I'm coaching my son's soccer team which will take ever Saturday during those months. So either June or sneak out before the 27th.
I could be persuaded to hit RC next weekend... ;) Although you might not want to take me up on that, you saw what happened last time I had a shakedown run