SJ’s TJ

Why the long links?

I haven’t finalized the link lengths yet. I do want to keep the arms above the tire to avoid any interference. The length you see is the shortest length from the universal kit.

Once I get everything else back together and the tires on and cycle the suspension, I’ll finalize the link lengths.

Any pics of how the stretch tank works with the axle stretched back and cycling? Is there enough room for the shocks?

I can take some pictures, but there is tons of room for the outboarded shocks. The EXT tank has more clearance on the outside than at the diff. I think maybe some other Genright tanks have the outsides facing in to give clearance for the diff. Let me know if you still want pics.

I can take some pictures, but there is tons of room for the outboarded shocks. The EXT tank has more clearance on the outside than at the diff. I think maybe some other Genright tanks have the outsides facing in to give clearance for the diff. Let me know if you still want pics.

pics would be awesome! If you have any, a pic at full bump would be awesome

pics would be awesome! If you have any, a pic at full bump would be awesome

This one isn’t at full bump, but you should be able to see how there is a ton of space. The outboard itself makes the shock clearance a non-issue since it runs outside the frame:
07928FFE-D4C6-495D-AAF9-E9759A0256C7.jpeg

Since everything is together getting shots at full bump aren’t happening anytime soon. Hope this helps!

This one isn’t at full bump, but you should be able to see how there is a ton of space. The outboard itself makes the shock clearance a non-issue since it runs outside the frame:
View attachment 342988
Since everything is together getting shots at full bump aren’t happening anytime soon. Hope this helps!

Thanks that helps a bunch. Looks like the lower coil perches have a good amount of space before the tank as well

Reactions: TRE3TOP
Thanks that helps a bunch. Looks like the lower coil perches have a good amount of space before the tank as well

Yep, they have plenty of space. I'm at 5" of stretch and have about an inch or so of clearance at my diff. I do like this tank design. I believe you lose about an inch of clearance at the gas tank skid vs. a Savvy. I'm hoping my better departure angle with stretch mitigates that inch, but we will see. I go for a shakedown run here at the end of July, so I'll report back on the experience.

The links don’t look overly long to me. What are the length of the lowers. I like how you raised the axle side link mounts.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
The links don’t look overly long to me. What are the length of the lowers. I like how you raised the axle side link mounts.

The lowers are about 28" center bolt to center bolt. I raised them up for better anti-squat and roll center numbers. It's a nice bonus that I have extra clearance.

Reactions: TRE3TOP
The lowers are about 28" center bolt to center bolt. I raised them up for better anti-squat and roll center numbers. It's a nice bonus that I have extra clearance.

Kept amount at the same height to reduce the angle? Do you know what the change in angle was? Or how much it affected anti squat and roll center?

From what you can tell, if I was to stretch by moving the arch backwards 5”, assuming I also have an outboard tower there, would there be enough room for the filler hoses without kinking? Or does that hose protrude out past the shock tower too much?

I'm trying to visualize what you're saying. If you move the arch, I'm assuming you would cut the frame and extend the flat section in front of the arch 5"? If you did that, the rear of Jeep doesn't change and you just run stock and have to extend the tub like what Blaine does. I may be missing what you are saying though.

I used the Barnes kit and notched into the frame to move the upper spring bucket, which then moved the outboard shock towers back into the filler hose. mine is very tight, but it works. I haven't tried to put gas in it yet though. I'll try that and see if it's all good.

I'm trying to visualize what you're saying. If you move the arch, I'm assuming you would cut the frame and extend the flat section in front of the arch 5"? If you did that, the rear of Jeep doesn't change and you just run stock and have to extend the tub like what Blaine does. I may be missing what you are saying though.

I used the Barnes kit and notched into the frame to move the upper spring bucket, which then moved the outboard shock towers back into the filler hose. mine is very tight, but it works. I haven't tried to put gas in it yet though. I'll try that and see if it's all good.

I think you know what I’m saying. I would cut in front of the arch, add a 5” section. And move the arch back 5”, then cut 5” off the back of the frame. That puts the arch back further in relation to the tub and would put the frame arch right in front of that filler tube. With a stock tank there is definitely not enough room for the tube to exist with a frame right in front of it.

Kept amount at the same height to reduce the angle? Do you know what the change in angle was? Or how much it affected anti squat and roll center?

So using the 4-link calculator, it said my old short arm setup had 165% anti-squat and a 19* roll axis. This setup raised the frame mounts a little, but the axle mounts more to get to 73% anti-squat and 3* roll axis. I can move the frame side upper down one hole and that changes the anti-squat to 90% and keeps the roll axis at 3*, but moves the instant center from 102" to 74". I'm not smart enough to know what's most important. I'm going to run it where it is and see how it performs knowing I can make adjustments if needed.

I think you know what I’m saying. I would cut in front of the arch, add a 5” section. And move the arch back 5”, then cut 5” off the back of the frame. That puts the arch back further in relation to the tub and would put the frame arch right in front of that filler tube. With a stock tank there is definitely not enough room for the tube to exist with a frame right in front of it.

I gotcha now. This tank has the filler holes further back than the stock tank. I would think this would help that, but not sure. That might be a Blaine question, I'm sure he would know.

I had a chance to take a look at the work he did and it's impressive. Especially, considering he had never welded or done anything remotely like this before. Kudos! (y)

Reactions: Sj's TJ