Skid Plate advice

RussTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I saw in a few Jeep pics where people have added spacers to separate their skid plates from the frame. I'm assuming that this is due to rust but wanted to ask. Also, what have you used to do this? Washers, metal spacers? I'm not doing any off roading with my TJ. Thanks for your help.

I saw in a few Jeep pics where people have added spacers to separate their skid plates from the frame. I'm assuming that this is due to rust but wanted to ask. Also, what have you used to do this? Washers, metal spacers? I'm not doing any off roading with my TJ. Thanks for your help.
The reason people put the spacers between the skid plates and frame is because they have lifted their Jeep and now it has vibrations in the driveline. By lowering the skid plate it corrects the angles and the vibrations go away. Some use a stack of washers from your local auto parts store, others use poly or metal spacers.

It's true that rust often forms there between the skid plate and the frame. The best solution for that is to remove the skid plate, sand down the skid plate areas with rust and the frame, prime with self-etching primer and paint with Krylon semi-flat black.

The reason people put the spacers between the skid plates and frame is because they have lifted their Jeep and now it has vibrations in the driveline. By lowering the skid plate it corrects the angles and the vibrations go away. Some use a stack of washers from your local auto parts store, others use poly or metal spacers.

It's true that rust often forms there between the skid plate and the frame. The best solution for that is to remove the skid plate, sand down the skid plate areas with rust and the frame, prime with self-etching primer and paint with Krylon semi-flat black.
Thanks for your help. I’ll plan on doing that soon.

To add, lowering the transfer case is not necessarily desirable. The less the better. In fact, the ultimate preference is to raise the transfer case to be higher than stock, aka the "tummy tuck".

Whether you keep the stock skid in it's factory location after a sizable lift or add a tummy tuck, the correct solution is to also add a slip yoke eliminator, double cardan rear drive shaft and adjustable rear control arms. A motor mount lift is another way to avoid or minimize the amount of transfer case drop might be needed.

2003 Rubicon

Last edited:
Reactions: RussTJ