Skid Plate Drop Removal

Bigfoot-NM

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
2006 TJ, 4" lift, 1" Body Lift, Motor Lift. Stock non-adjustable upper control arms on rear axle.

T-Case skid plate has 2" drop (see pic). I would like to get rid of the 2" drop and bolt the stock skid plate to the frame.

Is it as simple as:

1. Install adjustable upper control arms on rear axle
2. Remove skid plate spacers, raise t-case and bolt skid plate to frame
3. Adjust front and rear pinion / driveshaft angles

IMG_2676.jpg

2006 TJ, 4" lift, 1" Body Lift, Motor Lift. Stock non-adjustable upper control arms on rear axle.

T-Case skid plate has 2" drop (see pic). I would like to get rid of the 2" drop and bolt the stock skid plate to the frame.

Is it as simple as:

1. Install adjustable upper control arms on rear axle
2. Remove skid plate spacers, raise t-case and bolt skid plate to frame
3. Adjust front and rear pinion / driveshaft angles

View attachment 120879

You'll need at least adjustable rear upper control arms, a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) and a new CV driveshaft.

Yep, don't be changing your rear pinion angle without also having installed a SYE kit and CV driveshaft. The pinion angle needs to remain parallel to the transfer case output shaft with the factory driveshaft.

At 4" of suspension lift your TJ should have a SYE and CV driveshaft which also requires you install adjustable length control arms in the rear so you can raise the pinion angle to work properly with the aftermarket CV driveshaft.

You can get the SYE kit and CV driveshaft from Tom Wood's people at www.4xshaft.com

Reactions: Bigfoot-NM
You'll need at least adjustable rear upper control arms, a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) and a new CV driveshaft.

Thanks for the reply! I've been watching your post and thought this was the answer. My winter project list does include an SYE with new driveshaft, so I will be doing all this at the same time.

Wow I don't think I have ever see a jeep with a 2" drop, it seams like most use a 1" drop when using a drop

Wow I don't think I have ever see a jeep with a 2" drop, it seams like most use a 1" drop when using a drop

Mine had a bit over 1.5" when I bought it. I got it down to about 5/8" with a MML and had to go back to an inch when I regeared.

The u joints tolerance for operating angle decreases with increasing driveshaft rpm. Increasing gear ratio by 20% brings a 20% increase in driveshaft rpm. I got to 5/8 by adding a washer at a time until vibes were gone, so I was at the very edge of the joints capability before the speed increase.