Skinnies / pizza cutters

Inline.TJ

TJ Enthusiast
I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here but bear with me:
Been going down the rabbit hole on skinnier tires, I'm aiming for 33's, and I see some folks really like 33x10.5r15 but what about the 235/85r16? It appears the only load range available for the 235s is "E". Is that load range really going to matter with that skinny of a tire or is it a case of "E" being such a stiff tire that it's not worth considering?

IMG_20220219_195514_185.jpg

Pic for clicks.

Skinny or wide, load range is load range and E is too much for a relatively light Jeep. Also, I'd avoid 16" as tire selection seems to be even more limited. If you currently have 16s and need tires, now might be the time to switch to a 15 or 17.

Reactions: Inline.TJ
I have 235/85R16 DuraTrac. They're just under 32" x 9.5" if you don't mind tires that far under the 33x10.5R15

It is a little rougher ride but it's not terrible. I do wish I had bought five 15" wheels instead of four 16 inch wheels to match the spare but I don't think I'll replace those wheels and tires any time soon.

I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here but bear with me:
Been going down the rabbit hole on skinnier tires, I'm aiming for 33's, and I see some folks really like 33x10.5r15 but what about the 235/85r16? It appears the only load range available for the 235s is "E". Is that load range really going to matter with that skinny of a tire or is it a case of "E" being such a stiff tire that it's not worth considering?

View attachment 352588

Pic for clicks.

My TJ has 235 85 r 16 Duratracs on it they work well in deep snow commuting in the Rockies.

My TJ has 235 85 r 16 Duratracs on it they work well in deep snow commuting in the Rockies.

I'm also in Colorado. Driving around on these Dick Cepeks leave a lot to be desired on days when Colorado can't figure out what season it's in. I not only wheel but I drive up to remote spots to do some photography too and need something that's going to "just work".

Just found that Kenda makes their R/T in a 33x10.5 which has a tread design somewhere between a KO2 and a Duratrac. So maybe options aren't as limited as I thought.

I too have searched endlessly for some tall skinny tires for a 16 wheel but it’s true—there’s nothing good out there above 32in.

I too have searched endlessly for some tall skinny tires for a 16 wheel but it’s true—there’s nothing good out there above 32in.

Well if you wanted a true mud tire this is the best there has ever been. I just wish they had them in a 36 9.50 15 again.

Screenshot_20220820-073337_eBay_copy_600x1333.jpg

If tall and narrow are on the top of your list look at Coker Tire , STA Superlug in a 9.00-16 8-ply.
They are TALL and narrow
36.3 tall
8.7 tread width.
However they are an expensive bias ply tire that have many disadvantages for daily use.
A 255- 85- R -16 is what I use to run on my K-20 but the choices were limited 20 years ago.
Personally I don't lose any sleep over a load range E tires on a Jeep, they do ride rougher than a LR-C but a TJ still rides better then any of my old school
4X4 s. Good luck in your search.

Reactions: matkal and ColoJeep
Well... I found THE tires... 33x9.5r15. Check these babies out!

View attachment 352697

You can get them at Walmart for a pretty good price too! I'm sure it'll go down by the time I go to buy them... hopefully.

View attachment 352698
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kenda-Kl...Load-C-6-Ply-RT-Rugged-Terrain-Tire/524149349

Some of the guys on Ih8MUD have been raving about them: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fy...w-size-on-the-way-33x9-50r15lt.1248468/page-2

Glad to see they went through with them and lowered the price.
Last year while still in pre-release they were set at $335 and some people on here were not happy about that price tag.

• Wow
You might also look at the Scorpion Mud Terrain from Pirelli, it is 235/85R16 and C rated. I think it's one of the only 16" narrow tires out there that is C rated.

Reactions: matkal
To try and break the sidewalls down I pulled the Schrader valves out of the valve stems and drove it around the farm, It didn't really help, they sure did look cool though.

Reactions: pagrey
Yeah, a swamper is so far beyond what I need. Especially in the Rockies. We have the occasional mud hole but it's never something you'd lose your Jeep in.