SKIS (SKIM) Sentry Key Programming

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Found this article on another website and wanted to post it in the resources section here. This information is very valuable to have around for us long term TJ owners. For those of you who don't know what SKIS (also referred to as SKIM) is, see this thread: Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) Install / Retrofit

DESCRIPTION
The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) is available as a factory-installed option on this model. Vehicles equipped with this option can be readily identified by the presence of an amber SKIS indicator in the instrument cluster that will illuminate for about three seconds each time the ignition switch is turned to the On position, or by a gray molded rubber cap on the head of the ignition key. Models not equipped with SKIS still have a SKIS indicator in the cluster, but it will not illuminate when the ignition switch is turned to the On position. Also, models not equipped with the SKIS have a black molded rubber cap on the head of the ignition key. The SKIS includes the following major components, which are described in further detail elsewhere in this service manual:
  • Powertrain Control Module (PCM) - The PCM is located on the right side of the dash panel in the engine compartment.​
  • Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) - The SKIM is located on the steering column near the ignition lock cylinder housing and an integral molded plastic antenna ring circles the ignition lock cylinder like a halo. The SKIM and its antenna are concealed beneath the steering column shrouds.
    Sentry Key Transponder - The Sentry Key transponder is molded into the head of the ignition key, and concealed by a gray molded rubber cap.​
  • SKIS Indicator - The SKIS indicator is located in the upper left corner of the instrument cluster overlay. Except for the Sentry Key transponders, which rely upon Radio Frequency (RF) communication, hard wired circuitry connects the SKIS components to the electrical system of the vehicle. These hard wired circuits are integral to several wire harnesses, which are routed throughout the vehicle and retained by many different methods. These circuits may be connected to each other, to the vehicle electrical system and to the SKIS components through the use of a combination of soldered splices, splice block connectors, and many different types of wire harness terminal connectors and insulators. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, further details on wire harness routing and retention, as well as pin-out and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.​

OPERATION
The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) is designed to provide passive protection against unauthorized vehicle use by disabling the engine, after about two seconds of running, whenever any method other than a valid Sentry Key is used to start the vehicle. The SKIS is considered a passive protection system because it is always active when the ignition system is energized and does not require any customer intervention. The SKIS uses Radio Frequency (RF) communication to obtain confirmation that the key in the ignition switch is a valid key for operating the vehicle. The microprocessor-based SKIS hardware and software also uses electronic messages to communicate with other electronic modules in the vehicle over the Programmable Communications Interface (PCI) data bus

Pre-programmed Sentry Key transponders are provided with the vehicle from the factory. Each Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) will recognize a maximum of eight Sentry Keys. If the customer would like additional keys other than those provided with the vehicle, they may be purchased from any authorized dealer. These additional keys must be programmed to the SKIM in the vehicle in order for the system to recognize them as valid keys. This can be done by the dealer using a DRBIII scan tool or, if Customer Learn programming is an available SKIS feature in the market where the vehicle was purchased, the customer can program the additional keys, as long as at least two valid Sentry Keys are already available.

The SKIS performs a self-test each time the ignition switch is turned to the On position, and will store fault information in the form of Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s) if a system malfunction is detected. The SKIS can be diagnosed, and any stored DTC’s can be retrieved using a DRBIII scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - SENTRY KEY TRANSPONDER PROGRAMMING
All Sentry Keys included with the vehicle are preprogrammed to work with the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) when it is shipped from the factory. The Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) can be programmed to recognize up to a total of eight Sentry Keys. When programming a blank Sentry Key transponder, the key must first be cut to match the ignition switch lock cylinder in the vehicle for which it will be used. Once the additional or new key has been cut, the SKIM must be programmed to recognize it as a valid key. There are two possible methods to program the SKIM to recognize a new or additional valid key, the Secured Access Method and the Customer Learn Method. Following are the details of these two programming methods.

SECURED ACCESS METHOD
The Secured Access method applies to all vehicles. This method requires the use of a DRBIII scan tool. This method will also require that you have access to the unique four-digit PIN code that was assigned to the original SKIM. The PIN code must be used to enter the Secured Access Mode in the SKIM. This PIN number may be obtained from the vehicle owner, from the original vehicle invoice, or from the DaimlerChrysler Customer Center. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information for the proper Secured Access method programming procedures.

CUSTOMER LEARN METHOD
The Customer Learn feature is only available on domestic vehicles, or those vehicles which have a U.S. country code designator. This programming method also requires access to at least two valid Sentry Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, or if the vehicle does not have a U.S. country code designator, the Secured Access Method must be used to program new or additional valid keys to the SKIM.

1. The Customer Learn programming method procedures are as follows:
    Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that are to be programmed as valid keys for the vehicle. Cut the blank key(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder mechanical key codes.​
  2. Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the On position.​
  3. After the ignition switch has been in the On position for longer than three seconds, but no more than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the Off position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition switch lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the On position. The second valid Sentry Key must be inserted in the lock cylinder within fifteen seconds of removing the first valid key.​
  4. About ten seconds after the completion of Step 3, the SKIS indicator in the instrument cluster will start to flash and a single audible chime will sound to indicate that the system has entered the Customer Learn programming mode.​
  5. Within sixty seconds of entering the Customer Learn programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the Off position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the On position.​
  6. About ten seconds after the completion of Step 5, a single audible chime will sound and the SKIS indicator will stop flashing, stay on solid for three seconds, then turn off to indicate that the blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will immediately exit the Customer Learn programming mode and the vehicle may now be started using the newly programmed valid Sentry Key. Each of these steps must be repeated and completed in their entirety for each additional Sentry Key that is to be programmed. If the above steps are not completed in the given sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKIS will exit the Customer Learn programming mode and the programming will be unsuccessful. The SKIS will also automatically exit the Customer Learn programming mode if it sees a non-blank Sentry Key transponder when it should see a blank, if it has already programmed eight (8) valid Sentry Keys, or if the ignition switch is turned to the Off position for more than about fifty seconds.​
NOTE: If an attempt is made to start the vehicle while in the Customer Learn mode (SKIS indicator flashing), the SKIS will respond as though the vehicle were being started with an invalid key. In other words, the engine will stall after about two seconds of operation. No faults will be set.

NOTE: Once a Sentry Key has been programmed as a valid key to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed as a valid key for use on any other vehicle.

Reactions: ElectricWizard
My HPTuner software has a "SKIM" option when accessing the PCM as shown in this thread: HPTuner MPVI2 & VCM Suite Review: 100% Full PCM Access For 2005-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJs. Since my TJ doesn't have SKIS, I have been considering buying the module, turning the feature on via the HPTuner software, and then plugging the SKIM module in.

It sounds like I would need to call a Jeep dealer and get the code from the database, but even then, I'm not sure it would work without the DRBII scanner. Still, the HPTuner does have a menu where you can either enable or disable the SKIM from the drop down menu, unfortunately there are no other options.

Part of me is hesitant about adding SKIM, and the reason for this is because there are very few Jeep dealers left who have the tools or capability to work on our older TJs. Most of them won't even touch them due to the age.

In fact, I called a handful of dealers here in Oregon and they all said they had no idea what the SKIS was, how to enable it, let alone the ability to access an older Jeeps PCM such as my TJ.

The few Jeep dealers left who are willing to tackle this are only willing to do so because they have an older mechanic (usually a master tech) who has been around long enough that they were trained on how to work on our TJs. The younger generation that has been ushered in as techs is typically only familiar with the newer JKs and JLs. In addition to that, often times the tools they use to access the PCMs on the newer Jeeps are not backwards compatible with our older TJs.

Because of this, I worry if at some point it will be next to impossible to retrofit a SKIS system or have a new key reprogrammed (if you don't have any other spares).

That being said, I'm trying to figure out if there is indeed a way to retrofit this entire system from home.

Pretty sure I could easily disable it via my HPTuner software, but enabling it should be more than just clicking "enable" in a drop down menu.

My HPTuner software has a "SKIM" option when accessing the PCM as shown in this thread: HPTuner MPVI2 & VCM Suite Review: 100% Full PCM Access For 2005-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJs. Since my TJ doesn't have SKIS, I have been considering buying the module, turning the feature on via the HPTuner software, and then plugging the SKIM module in.

It sounds like I would need to call a Jeep dealer and get the code from the database, but even then, I'm not sure it would work without the DRBII scanner. Still, the HPTuner does have a menu where you can either enable or disable the SKIM from the drop down menu, unfortunately there are no other options.

Part of me is hesitant about adding SKIM, and the reason for this is because there are very few Jeep dealers left who have the tools or capability to work on our older TJs. Most of them won't even touch them due to the age.

In fact, I called a handful of dealers here in Oregon and they all said they had no idea what the SKIS was, how to enable it, let alone the ability to access an older Jeeps PCM such as my TJ.

The few Jeep dealers left who are willing to tackle this are only willing to do so because they have an older mechanic (usually a master tech) who has been around long enough that they were trained on how to work on our TJs. The younger generation that has been ushered in as techs is typically only familiar with the newer JKs and JLs. In addition to that, often times the tools they use to access the PCMs on the newer Jeeps are not backwards compatible with our older TJs.

Because of this, I worry if at some point it will be next to impossible to retrofit a SKIS system or have a new key reprogrammed (if you don't have any other spares).

That being said, I'm trying to figure out if there is indeed a way to retrofit this entire system from home.

Pretty sure I could easily disable it via my HPTuner software, but enabling it should be more than just clicking "enable" in a drop down menu.
It is simple to get done. If you were to send me the PCM and VIN, we can purchase the module, have the keys cut, install the PCM in a compatible TJ, do the programming and ship it all back. My guy would charge maybe 100 bucks for everything labor wise. Parts are about 200ish. He has all three Chrysler DRB scanners. About 8000 dollars worth.

Reactions: Chris
I believe I remember reading that @psrivats installed SKIM. Maybe he can share with us which dealership he went through? I've been considering adding it to my TJ as well.

Reactions: Chris
It is simple to get done. If you were to send me the PCM and VIN, we can purchase the module, have the keys cut, install the PCM in a compatible TJ, do the programming and ship it all back. My guy would charge maybe 100 bucks for everything labor wise. Parts are about 200ish. He has all three Chrysler DRB scanners. About 8000 dollars worth.

Okay, this is good to know going forward!

Most of the dealers I talked to have no clue what I am talking about, and all the techs who are old enough to have experience with the older Chrysler models have all retired.

I looked up those DRBIII scanners on eBay and they are selling for around 3k or more, so that $8000 price sounds very accurate. I had no idea those things were that expensive until I started looking.

I believe @psrivats installed SKIM. Maybe he can share with us which dealership he went through? I've been considering adding it to my TJ as well.

Yes, I got the info from @psrivats as well.

I think my main concern was that going forward with our TJs, there needs to be a source (or thread) with information on this procedure so that others have the ability to find it. It's only a matter of time before all dealers drop support for this sort of thing, and then you're left trying to find someone who can help you out. This thread serves to provide those people with the information they need, even if it's 10 years from now.

Reactions: ElectricWizard
Okay, this is good to know going forward!

Most of the dealers I talked to have no clue what I am talking about, and all the techs who are old enough to have experience with the older Chrysler models have all retired.

I looked up those DRBIII scanners on eBay and they are selling for around 3k or more, so that $8000 price sounds very accurate. I had no idea those things were that expensive until I started looking.

Yes, I got the info from @psrivats as well.

I think my main concern was that going forward with our TJs, there needs to be a source (or thread) with information on this procedure so that others have the ability to find it. It's only a matter of time before all dealers drop support for this sort of thing, and then you're left trying to find someone who can help you out. This thread serves to provide those people with the information they need, even if it's 10 years from now.

No reason the support can't continue as it does now for many of the things we can't get at the dealer. If we can't get it there, we shop for it online and ship it in. No difference.

Reactions: willrek and Chris
I worry if at some point it will be next to impossible to retrofit a SKIS system or have a new key reprogrammed (if you don't have any other spares.)
As far as having a new key programmed, no need to have a dealer do it. I had a locksmith cut and program two new keys when I lost one of my original keys.

As far as having a new key programmed, no need to have a dealer do it. I had a locksmith cut and program two new keys when I lost one of my original keys.

Oh really? I didn't realize that locksmiths could program the keys. Did you have to have an existing SKIS key though for him to match?

Oh really? I didn't realize that locksmiths could program the keys. Did you have to have an existing SKIS key though for him to match?
I did have a key, but I believe (AFAIR) that they accessed the information from the OBD II connection. It's been a while since I had that done. I've checked with more than one locksmith, and they both did it.

I did have a key, but I believe (AFAIR) that they accessed the information from the OBD II connection. It's been a while since I had that done. I've checked with more than one locksmith, and they both did it.

Very cool, this is good to know!

I believe I remember reading that @psrivats installed SKIM. Maybe he can share with us which dealership he went through? I've been considering adding it to my TJ as well.

The only dealership in the PDX and nearby suburbs that was willing to do this for me was Dick's Country Chrysler Jeep Dodge. They have an older technician there who has been there a very long time and knew exactly what needed to be done. Other dealerships I talked to had no idea.

I got 4 keys cut and programmed since you need 2 keys to program a new key yourself. I figured even if I lose one, and another stops working I'd still be safe. The key blanks are pretty cheap and the dealership cut them for me for a very small cost. I think I paid $100 or so for everything (I bought NOS parts and key blanks on eBay. The module was ~150).

I simply followed the instructions in this thread, the photos posted are great.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/sentry-key-immobilizer-module-skim-install-retrofit.44/

Last edited:
You need to check to make sure they are not clones. Typically the locksmith, hardware store and similar key programmers are just making identical copies of the key. Without the SKIM module present, they have no way of generating the unique codes that work with the module in the vehicle.

While they do work to start the vehicle, the downside is you can't use 2 of them to program additional keys. If that worked, you would be able to pull one key out during the programming sequence, reinsert it, and program a third. It doesn't work.

The only dealership in the PDX and nearby suburbs that was willing to do this for me was Dick's Country Chrysler Jeep Dodge. They have an older technician there who has been there a very long time and knew exactly what needed to be done. Other dealerships I talked to had no idea.

I got 4 keys cut and programmed since you need 2 keys to program a new key yourself. I figured even if I lose one, and another stops working I'd still be safe. The key blanks are pretty cheap and the dealership cut them for me for a very small cost. I think I paid $100 or so for everything (I bought NOS parts and key blanks on eBay. The module was ~150).

I simply followed the instructions in this thread, the photos posted are great.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/sentry-key-immobilizer-module-skim-install-retrofit.44/
I rarely gripe about what dealers charge for stuff but if they charge more than 5 bucks for cutting a key, that's pretty bad. It literally takes about 30 seconds for them to stick it in a hand held key cutter, plug in the number and clip the notches.

You need to check to make sure they are not clones. Typically the locksmith, hardware store and similar key programmers are just making identical copies of the key. Without the SKIM module present, they have no way of generating the unique codes that work with the module in the vehicle.

While they do work to start the vehicle, the downside is you can't use 2 of them to program additional keys. If that worked, you would be able to pull one key out during the programming sequence, reinsert it, and program a third. It doesn't work.
It would seem that the locksmith I went to (a pretty old establishment in our city) must have had a programming module, as when they made my two keys, they were able to tell me how many of the eight keys allowed had been done, and they were also able to disable the key I lost, so no one could use it to start my TJ if it was found. I guess one test to see if the two keys I had made are genuine is to buy another key and see if I can program it myself.

It would seem that the locksmith I went to (a pretty old establishment in our city) must have had a programming module, as when they made my two keys, they were able to tell me how many of the eight keys allowed had been done, and they were also able to disable the key I lost, so no one could use it to start my TJ if it was found. I guess one test to see if the two keys I had made are genuine is to buy another key and see if I can program it myself.
Just a caution to check is all. Lots of folks recommend copies other than done with a DRB or self programmed and they aren't always the better way to go.

Just a caution to check is all. Lots of folks recommend copies other than done with a DRB or self programmed and they aren't always the better way to go.
I appreciate the note of caution, thank you. If you are able to self-program a third key that was purchased and cut, I believe, could be wrong, that I read that that third key cannot be used to program future keys...is that correct?

I appreciate the note of caution, thank you. If you are able to self-program a third key that was purchased and cut, I believe, could be wrong, that I read that that third key cannot be used to program future keys...is that correct?
No, you can use the 3rd that was programmed to the vehicle. It wouldn't work at all otherwise. How would you guarantee that you would only lose the self programmed key? The instructions would direct you to take the two original keys and lock them away since only they can be used to make keys 3-8 and keys 3-8 are useless for making new ones.

No, you can use the 3rd that was programmed to the vehicle. It wouldn't work at all otherwise. How would you guarantee that you would only lose the self programmed key? The instructions would direct you to take the two original keys and lock them away since only they can be used to make keys 3-8 and keys 3-8 are useless for making new ones.
Makes sense, thanks. Like I said, I could be, and apparently was, wrong. ;)

I rarely gripe about what dealers charge for stuff but if they charge more than 5 bucks for cutting a key, that's pretty bad. It literally takes about 30 seconds for them to stick it in a hand held key cutter, plug in the number and clip the notches.

They charged $10 for all 3 keys. I was ok with that.

While they do work to start the vehicle, the downside is you can't use 2 of them to program additional keys. If that worked, you would be able to pull one key out during the programming sequence, reinsert it, and program a third. It doesn't work

I know this thread is old, but since it concerns my exact question about SKIS, I figured I'd ask it here first.

My confusion is with the keys themselves. I keep reading that the keys aren't programmed (which makes sense to me) but they "are what they are" and whatever code they have on the chip when you get them, never changes. How this apparently works is that the codes from the key are written to the PCM thru the SKIM and are now recognized as a valid key. They can also be erased from the PCM. If this is indeed true, then "cloning" a key with the same codes as on another key would be impossible as the keys themselves are never programmed. This would also mean that there is no way to duplicate a SKIS key without the vehicle present (or at least installing the PCM/SKIM into another vehicle to program the PCM).

So, if I have this right, there is no such thing as "cloning" a SKIS key. There are only two ways to program a key to work with the vehicle: 1) you have two SKIS keys and can follow the procedure in the user manual, or 2) You need access to a DRBIII tool and the 4 digit PIN to program a new key if you only have one (or none) available.

So, if this is true, one cannot bring a SKIS key to a hardware store (without the vehicle present) and have them "clone" a SKIS key that will work to start the vehicle. I also read that once a key is "programmed" for a particular vehicle, it can't be used with another vehicle. This would also have to be false, because if the key is never programmed, it wouldn't know if it was usable or not for another vehicle.

The only possible way I could see this working is if there is a seriously limited number of codes programmed into the chips on the keys. Then I would imagine the key could be scanned, and if the duplicator had a key blank with the same code on the chip, it could be cut to work with the vehicle.

Do I have this right?