SKIS (SKIM) Sentry Key Programming

hardtailpan

TJ Enthusiast
No, the keys are programmable with a code unique to the key.
Interesting.
I assume the keys can only be programmed by some kind of bench top programmer. So, the code on one's key could be read and then programmed onto a new key.

When the key programming operation is done with the two keys in the ignition, the SKIS system I assume will never program they key, it will only program they key's code to the jeep, correct? So, are they keys that we purchase on amazon/ebay/etc already programmed? If so, I assume they cannot be re-programmed? This would imply that places that can "clone" keys have key blanks that have never had their chips programmed before.

It's either confusing or I'm over-complicating it.

Thanks for the help in understanding.

mrblaine

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Interesting.
I assume the keys can only be programmed by some kind of bench top programmer. So, the code on one's key could be read and then programmed onto a new key.

When the key programming operation is done with the two keys in the ignition, the SKIS system I assume will never program they key, it will only program they key's code to the jeep, correct? So, are they keys that we purchase on amazon/ebay/etc already programmed? If so, I assume they cannot be re-programmed? This would imply that places that can "clone" keys have key blanks that have never had their chips programmed before.

It's either confusing or I'm over-complicating it.

Thanks for the help in understanding.
What are you trying to figure out?

hardtailpan

TJ Enthusiast
What are you trying to figure out?
When I go somewhere, be it a dealer or locksmith, to have another key made (I only have one) I want to ensure that I'm getting a uniquely coded key that I can use with my current key to make further copies with. In other words, I want to know if I am getting a clone or a unique key, and I want to know what they require to create a unique key. If I am starting to understand, if they don't have the vehicle, they can only clone a key, and not create one of the unique eight keys that the SKIS can be programmed for.

mrblaine

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
When I go somewhere, be it a dealer or locksmith, to have another key made (I only have one) I want to ensure that I'm getting a uniquely coded key that I can use with my current key to make further copies with. In other words, I want to know if I am getting a clone or a unique key, and I want to know what they require to create a unique key. If I am starting to understand, if they don't have the vehicle, they can only clone a key, and not create one of the unique eight keys that the SKIS can be programmed for.
I have heard but have yet to verify that some lock smiths have a programmer that creates a unique code to the copy. I am not entirely certain that claim is valid.

The dealer should be using the DRB to program the key since it would be of little benefit to them to make a clone.

hardtailpan

TJ Enthusiast
I have heard but have yet to verify that some lock smiths have a programmer that creates a unique code to the copy. I am not entirely certain that claim is valid.

The dealer should be using the DRB to program the key since it would be of little benefit to them to make a clone.
OK, then my best bet is to see if I can find a dealer to do this. I'll start calling around.
Thank you mrblaine for help on this, and the many threads of yours that I've read that have helped me on other things that you didn't even know you helped on! :):)(y)(y)

mrjp

Supporting Member
I just did this yesterday. I called a mobile lock smith and he said he could cut program a key. I only had one key. He showed up cut a dummy key shaft for trial then cut a transponder key and went to the jeep and plugged in his programmer and did his thing. It was about 30 to 45 minutes from when he pulled up till he drove off.

Reactions: hardtailpan

hardtailpan

TJ Enthusiast
I just did this yesterday. I called a mobile lock smith and he said he could cut program a key. I only had one key. He showed up cut a dummy key shaft for trial then cut a transponder key and went to the jeep and plugged in his programmer and did his thing. It was about 30 to 45 minutes from when he pulled up till he drove off.
Interesting. It certainly sounds like this is not a "cloned" key but one of the unique 8 keys that our vehicles can respond to. I'd be very curious to see if you could program a third key from the two you have now. That would prove that this is not a cloned key.
Thanks for the reply and let us know if you try to create your own copy and if it works. It would be good for you to have a third key anyway in case you lose one, as you'd still be able to create your own key from the other two.

Reactions: mrjp

mrjp

Supporting Member
I have ordered a couple of Y160 transponder keys and will get them cut and give the programing a try

hardtailpan

TJ Enthusiast
I have ordered a couple of Y160 transponder keys and will get them cut and give the programing a try
Very cool! Please let us know if the home programming works. At least then we will have one data point that says a mobile locksmith can do this job properly. Thanks for the update and look forward to hearing if it works or not!

mrjp

Supporting Member
Okay I got 2 of the Y160 transponder keys from Keys I took them up to the ace hardware store and had them cut. I then followed the procedure in post #1 by Chris and they both work perfect. So for under $20.00 I now have 2 spare transponder keys.

Reactions: hardtailpan

hardtailpan

TJ Enthusiast
Okay I got 2 of the Y160 transponder keys from Keys I took them up to the ace hardware store and had them cut. I then followed the procedure in post #1 by Chris and they both work perfect. So for under $20.00 I now have 2 spare transponder keys.
This is cool! So know we have a data point where somebody had keys programmed from a locksmith and we know that the key wasn't a "clone" but a correctly programmed new key!
Thanks very much for following up!