SKIS (SKIM) Sentry Key Programming

OK so I just discovered the hard way that UK TJs don’t allow you to program additional keys yourself, and Timpsons (national locksmith chain with lots of experience) have just failed to program a key for me. About to call them to give them the bad news (I said I’d try programming it myself but didn’t have the second working key with me in town).

Is this going to mean an expensive trip to a Chrysler dealer? If so I’ll scrap the idea - I wanted a 3rd working key in case one failed and I was stuck.

OK so I just discovered the hard way that UK TJs don’t allow you to program additional keys yourself, and Timpsons (national locksmith chain with lots of experience) have just failed to program a key for me. About to call them to give them the bad news (I said I’d try programming it myself but didn’t have the second working key with me in town).

Is this going to mean an expensive trip to a Chrysler dealer? If so I’ll scrap the idea - I wanted a 3rd working key in case one failed and I was stuck.
You need to expound on that a bit. What makes you believe you can't do that or is it spelled out in the owner's manual?

I guess because they never encounter Jeeps. He used the computer system he had, which read my working key, and purported to program the new one; both keys then read the same according to his system. But the TJ wasn’t fooled and rejected the new one. Any idea why?

I guess because they never encounter Jeeps. He used the computer system he had, which read my working key, and purported to program the new one; both keys then read the same according to his system. But the TJ wasn’t fooled and rejected the new one. Any idea why?
He did it wrong somehow would be my guess. If he is making a cloned copy, how would the SKIM module know which key to reject?

Reactions: mrjp
Maybe. TJs here are as rare as … I dunno, something like an original Mini would be your side of the Atlantic? Not unheard of but most locksmiths will never have made a key for one.

TBH as I have 2 working keys I will leave it for now - when I thought I could program them myself the idea was to have 3 in case one failed. Though presumably I couldn’t anyway use a key and it’s clone as the 2 good keys.

Maybe. TJs here are as rare as … I dunno, something like an original Mini would be your side of the Atlantic? Not unheard of but most locksmiths will never have made a key for one.
The original Mini is rare but around in certain areas. I used to see them frequently and used to drive by this place once to several times a week.

http://www.heritagegarage.com/

If you have the correct tools I'm sure you can program a new key. I just always have trouble figuring out where to plug the thing in.

drb-mini.jpg

@mrblaine , any experience with the P0633 code after a TJ had SKIM 'added' after leaving the factory.

10+ years back, I picked up the SKIM Module at the dealership and had them cut SKIM keys cut. I installed the module in the dealership parking lot and went in for my appointment for them to activate it. I had already called and coordinate I wanted a NEW SKIM module activated and they seemed to get it. All that was needed was to plug in the SKIM module plug, activate it in the PCM, and code the keys.

After what seemed like too long, the tech came out and asked what I had ACTUALLY come in for. He mis-understood and thought I was REPLACING a SKIM module - not adding a new one....

Well after a long period of time waiting and anticipating they'd need to order a new PCM, they managed to get the Jeep drivable. Since then I have had a persistent P0633 code (Doesn't throw the CEL but it's there when pulling codes) and I always use the SKIM keys.

Embarrassingly, I haven't used the old (non-SKIM) keys all this time to check if the system works but it's been a needed family vehicle so I haven't had the willingness in the past to risk it bricking-out on me and dropping from vehicle availability.

Now that's not the case and it would be open for correction, if P0633 means what I think it does...

@mrblaine , any experience with the P0633 code after a TJ had SKIM 'added' after leaving the factory.

10+ years back, I picked up the SKIM Module at the dealership and had them cut SKIM keys cut. I installed the module in the dealership parking lot and went in for my appointment for them to activate it. I had already called and coordinate I wanted a NEW SKIM module activated and they seemed to get it. All that was needed was to plug in the SKIM module plug, activate it in the PCM, and code the keys.

After what seemed like too long, the tech came out and asked what I had ACTUALLY come in for. He mis-understood and thought I was REPLACING a SKIM module - not adding a new one....

Well after a long period of time waiting and anticipating they'd need to order a new PCM, they managed to get the Jeep drivable. Since then I have had a persistent P0633 code (Doesn't throw the CEL but it's there when pulling codes) and I always use the SKIM keys.

Embarrassingly, I haven't used the old (non-SKIM) keys all this time to check if the system works but it's been a needed family vehicle so I haven't had the willingness in the past to risk it bricking-out on me and dropping from vehicle availability.

Now that's not the case and it would be open for correction, if P0633 means what I think it does...
Try the old keys, they won't brick it right away. One start will tell you.

What is the wording on the code description?

Why did they think they needed a new PCM?

Try the old keys, they won't brick it right away. One start will tell you.
Will do. It's in parts in the garage right now so it'll be a little bit before I will report back.

What is the wording on the code description?
Per obd-codes.com: P0633 Immobilizer Key Not Programmed – ECM/PCM

Every description I've read over the years says that it's the PCM not recognizing a SKIM Key as registered. So I would think that would cause it to not run. But mine has run fine (other than non-SKIM related nonsense (OPDA) related issues).

Why did they think they needed a new PCM?

The way the tech explained it (going off years old memories), they thought the PCM was already SKIM-enabled and tried to remove the old SKIM settings and register a new SKIM module and keys. They were worried they had messed up the PCM when the Jeep wouldn't start.

Despite my calling in early to coordinate my requested service, it was Obvious they had no idea what I was asking for them to perform. And, at the time, the TJ wasn't the 20+ year old vehicle it is now (i.e. they were still servicing TJs regularly, just not in this way, apparently).

I know this thread is old, but since it concerns my exact question about SKIS, I figured I'd ask it here first.

My confusion is with the keys themselves. I keep reading that the keys aren't programmed (which makes sense to me) but they "are what they are" and whatever code they have on the chip when you get them, never changes. How this apparently works is that the codes from the key are written to the PCM thru the SKIM and are now recognized as a valid key. They can also be erased from the PCM. If this is indeed true, then "cloning" a key with the same codes as on another key would be impossible as the keys themselves are never programmed. This would also mean that there is no way to duplicate a SKIS key without the vehicle present (or at least installing the PCM/SKIM into another vehicle to program the PCM).

So, if I have this right, there is no such thing as "cloning" a SKIS key. There are only two ways to program a key to work with the vehicle: 1) you have two SKIS keys and can follow the procedure in the user manual, or 2) You need access to a DRBIII tool and the 4 digit PIN to program a new key if you only have one (or none) available.

So, if this is true, one cannot bring a SKIS key to a hardware store (without the vehicle present) and have them "clone" a SKIS key that will work to start the vehicle. I also read that once a key is "programmed" for a particular vehicle, it can't be used with another vehicle. This would also have to be false, because if the key is never programmed, it wouldn't know if it was usable or not for another vehicle.

The only possible way I could see this working is if there is a seriously limited number of codes programmed into the chips on the keys. Then I would imagine the key could be scanned, and if the duplicator had a key blank with the same code on the chip, it could be cut to work with the vehicle.

Do I have this right?
No, not correct. Each key has its own individual chip in it with its own I'D. If you go to the dealer or some locksmiths, they use the PIN, a four digit number assigned to every car. Using that PIN, they go in and tell the computer that the want to add a key. It ask if you want to clear old keys in case of theft or whatever. It then ask you you activate each key which writes that keys chip information into the PCM with separate codes for each.
That's why if you have two dealer keys you can program your own. Because they each have a unique ID. You have to insert both keys in the ignition and turn it on to activate programming.
A lot of locksmiths cheat the system and use a cloning machine to make duplicate keys. One, it takes less time. Two, it takes no skill. Three, they don't have to buy a high dollar programmer or get PIN numbers to make a key. So basically you have two identical keys in every way, programming and all. But, since they are identical, you can't use them to program more keys because the computer thinks you are using the same key over when trying to activate programming mode.

No, not correct. Each key has its own individual chip in it with its own I'D. If you go to the dealer or some locksmiths, they use the PIN, a four digit number assigned to every car. Using that PIN, they go in and tell the computer that the want to add a key. It ask if you want to clear old keys in case of theft or whatever. It then ask you you activate each key which writes that keys chip information into the PCM with separate codes for each.
That's why if you have two dealer keys you can program your own. Because they each have a unique ID. You have to insert both keys in the ignition and turn it on to activate programming.
A lot of locksmiths cheat the system and use a cloning machine to make duplicate keys. One, it takes less time. Two, it takes no skill. Three, they don't have to buy a high dollar programmer or get PIN numbers to make a key. So basically you have two identical keys in every way, programming and all. But, since they are identical, you can't use them to program more keys because the computer thinks you are using the same key over when trying to activate programming mode.
Yes, thanks for replying. I eventually worked it all out. I was able to find a locksmith that correctly programs the keys. The third key I had cut, but programmed it myself, so I know I don't have cloned keys.

But this must have been what our local locksmith chain tried to do - make a clone - and yet they still failed! The TJ wasn’t fooled.

We still do it. You won't get OE keys though. They are non functional. The part number AA were good, they went to AB which were all no good, now we've tried a few AC and so far they are unable to be programmed.
The AA part number is listed for 1999-2000. I have found a couple of the AA blanks — will they work on a later ('05-'06) SKIM system, or were they specific to the earlier Jeeps?