SKIS (SKIM) Sentry Key Programming

Just a little story that may tip you in the direction of installing this. A friend of mine’s jeep was stolen last night. He has a skim. After following the standard protocols and reporting he didn’t know what else to do so he drove around. He found his jeep about three blocks from his house. Skim for the win.

Just a little story that may tip you in the direction of installing this. A friend of mine’s jeep was stolen last night. He has a skim. After following the standard protocols and reporting he didn’t know what else to do so he drove around. He found his jeep about three blocks from his house. Skim for the win.
Sweet, good news!

yes-baby.gif

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Did they brick the PCM?

Did they brick the PCM?
I do not know. He called me while searching and then freaked out when he found it and then we got off the phone so he could call the cops/insurance/etc. I’ll update when I hear from him again.

Reactions: Irun
So they started it and drove three blocks even with SKIM? I thought that you couldn't start it without a skim key.
He lives on a hill, so it rolled a decent amount. Sounds like they hot wired it and got it to start but then the computer reacts to no chip and shuts down the vehicle. @mrblaine understands the way that works way better than I.

Reactions: Apparition and Irun
He lives on a hill, so it rolled a decent amount. Sounds like they hot wired it and got it to start but then the computer reacts to no chip and shuts down the vehicle. @mrblaine understands the way that works way better than I.
That's basically it. You get several starts, where it will shut down each time, before the PCM is wasted. Better to buy a PCM than a new Jeep. Hopefully, insurance will cover that cost!

That's basically it. You get several starts, where it will shut down each time, before the PCM is wasted. Better to buy a PCM than a new Jeep. Hopefully, insurance will cover that cost!
I was dissecting an alarm out of my blue jeep and apparently removed something associated with SKIM. Glad I didn't try it too many times before reconnecting the wires if that's the case.

Reactions: Irun
I was dissecting an alarm out of my blue jeep and apparently removed something associated with SKIM. Glad I didn't try it too many times before reconnecting the wires if that's the case.
I don't know what they go for now, but I had a buddy who had to buy a PCM a few years ago. Pretty sure he paid around $600 for a very stupid mistake! :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
Did they jack the ignition key cylinder so they could manipulate the ignition switch with a screwdriver?

Did they jack the ignition key cylinder so they could manipulate the ignition switch with a screwdriver?
I haven’t been to put eyes on it yet but talking to him he said the cylinder is still there but they shoved some sort of shim into the cylinder. His key still works but he said it definitely feels damaged

I haven’t been to put eyes on it yet but talking to him he said the cylinder is still there but they shoved some sort of shim into the cylinder. His key still works but he said it definitely feels damaged
Likely a flat blade screwdriver with a square shank. Smack it in and then turn the shank with an adjustable wrench to break the internals so it will turn. Probably going to need a new column.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Likely a flat blade screwdriver with a square shank. Smack it in and then turn the shank with an adjustable wrench to break the internals so it will turn. Probably going to need a new column.
I’ll be by to lay eyes on it tomorrow. I’ll post updates on what they used. He said they ditched their tools in the rig so I’ll see what I can see.

I’ll be by to lay eyes on it tomorrow. I’ll post updates on what they used. He said they ditched their tools in the rig so I’ll see what I can see.
Typically, they jack the cylinder, turn it to unlock the steering wheel and get it out of park if it is an auto. Then they give it a little push to get it away from the house so the owner doesn't hear them starting it. Without the SKIM, it would be long gone.

Went to see my buddys jeep today. Here’s the obvious damages
EE9FDC50-BD72-4E0D-95FC-4A59B98ED8D6.jpeg
AAF4BAB8-E8EA-4241-8731-822AEE4E706A.jpeg
5A7D4EF0-ABA5-4D49-B3C2-CF2625A58A5A.jpeg
B1B9A9B4-BF5B-4FAB-A9B6-8C3D09204AF1.jpeg
4BECDD3A-645D-4481-95EC-961ACF1038CF.jpeg
hard to tell from the photos but the lock cylinders were both damaged with denting to the doors. Other than the steering shroud damage the cylinder looks intact but something was shoved in there and when the battery is turned on the skim key light is illuminated. No codes.

Went to see my buddys jeep today. Here’s the obvious damages View attachment 285154View attachment 285155View attachment 285156View attachment 285157View attachment 285158hard to tell from the photos but the lock cylinders where both damaged with denting to the doors. Other than the shroud damage the cylinder looks intact but something was shoved in there and when the battery is turned on the skim key light is illuminated. No codes.
And it looks like it had a soft top on?