SKIS (SKIM) Sentry Key Programming

Went to see my buddys jeep today. Here’s the obvious damages View attachment 285154View attachment 285155View attachment 285156View attachment 285157View attachment 285158hard to tell from the photos but the lock cylinders were both damaged with denting to the doors. Other than the steering shroud damage the cylinder looks intact but something was shoved in there and when the battery is turned on the skim key light is illuminated. No codes.
Will it start and run?

it will start and run for a few seconds then die. I pulled it up the road for him to his house today.
They likely broke the antenna around the ignition lock cylinder or managed to unplug the SKIM somehow. The key symbol should illuminate when it is dying in 3 seconds or so since it isn't recognizing a valid programmed key.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
They likely broke the antenna around the ignition lock cylinder or managed to unplug the SKIM somehow. The key symbol should illuminate when it is dying in 3 seconds or so since it isn't recognizing a valid programmed key.
Ok , I’ll pass it along and report back.

Yes, we do it all the time.
Process is acquire the SKIM module, 3 keys, send PCM, SKIM module, 3 keys, VIN, and ignition lock cylinder to us. If you are unsure of the keys being able to be programmed, we can check them first with an emptied out lock cylinder before we cut them. If you have them cut, only have them cut to the VIN.

It's been a while but I'm back. I have spoken to a dealership that can source 3x "AA" keys and the module. I still would intend to have this service performed by you. Is there any information I should have before ordering the keys and module?

It's been a while but I'm back. I have spoken to a dealership that can source 3x "AA" keys and the module. I still would intend to have this service performed by you. Is there any information I should have before ordering the keys and module?
Not really.

Not really.
So I received the parts today but the keys were substituted for the "AC" serial key. I vaguely remember in this thread or another SKIM thread reading that the AC keys were unable to be programmed. Can you let me know whether that is correct? IF so, I'll have to return and do some more hunting.

So I received the parts today but the keys were substituted for the "AC" serial key. I vaguely remember in this thread or another SKIM thread reading that the AC keys were unable to be programmed. Can you let me know whether that is correct? IF so, I'll have to return and do some more hunting.
They are hit and miss. Doesn't matter though because we have changed and now we program the keys with a blank ignition cylinder. If it doesn't accept the programming, we mark it so it can be returned without being cut. If it programs, we cut them after. If there aren't enough keys, then we program the aftermarket non logo keys I keep here for that problem.

Reactions: Xysos and L J
They are hit and miss. Doesn't matter though because we have changed and now we program the keys with a blank ignition cylinder. If it doesn't accept the programming, we mark it so it can be returned without being cut. If it programs, we cut them after. If there aren't enough keys, then we program the aftermarket non logo keys I keep here for that problem.
Perfect. Should I pm you regarding instructions for sending the components out to you?

Found this article on another website and wanted to post it in the resources section here. This information is very valuable to have around for us long term TJ owners. For those of you who don't know what SKIS (also referred to as SKIM) is, see this thread: Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) Install / Retrofit

DESCRIPTION
The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) is available as a factory-installed option on this model. Vehicles equipped with this option can be readily identified by the presence of an amber SKIS indicator in the instrument cluster that will illuminate for about three seconds each time the ignition switch is turned to the On position, or by a gray molded rubber cap on the head of the ignition key. Models not equipped with SKIS still have a SKIS indicator in the cluster, but it will not illuminate when the ignition switch is turned to the On position. Also, models not equipped with the SKIS have a black molded rubber cap on the head of the ignition key. The SKIS includes the following major components, which are described in further detail elsewhere in this service manual:
  • Powertrain Control Module (PCM) - The PCM is located on the right side of the dash panel in the engine compartment.​
  • Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) - The SKIM is located on the steering column near the ignition lock cylinder housing and an integral molded plastic antenna ring circles the ignition lock cylinder like a halo. The SKIM and its antenna are concealed beneath the steering column shrouds.
    Sentry Key Transponder - The Sentry Key transponder is molded into the head of the ignition key, and concealed by a gray molded rubber cap.​
  • SKIS Indicator - The SKIS indicator is located in the upper left corner of the instrument cluster overlay. Except for the Sentry Key transponders, which rely upon Radio Frequency (RF) communication, hard wired circuitry connects the SKIS components to the electrical system of the vehicle. These hard wired circuits are integral to several wire harnesses, which are routed throughout the vehicle and retained by many different methods. These circuits may be connected to each other, to the vehicle electrical system and to the SKIS components through the use of a combination of soldered splices, splice block connectors, and many different types of wire harness terminal connectors and insulators. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, further details on wire harness routing and retention, as well as pin-out and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.​

OPERATION
The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) is designed to provide passive protection against unauthorized vehicle use by disabling the engine, after about two seconds of running, whenever any method other than a valid Sentry Key is used to start the vehicle. The SKIS is considered a passive protection system because it is always active when the ignition system is energized and does not require any customer intervention. The SKIS uses Radio Frequency (RF) communication to obtain confirmation that the key in the ignition switch is a valid key for operating the vehicle. The microprocessor-based SKIS hardware and software also uses electronic messages to communicate with other electronic modules in the vehicle over the Programmable Communications Interface (PCI) data bus

Pre-programmed Sentry Key transponders are provided with the vehicle from the factory. Each Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) will recognize a maximum of eight Sentry Keys. If the customer would like additional keys other than those provided with the vehicle, they may be purchased from any authorized dealer. These additional keys must be programmed to the SKIM in the vehicle in order for the system to recognize them as valid keys. This can be done by the dealer using a DRBIII scan tool or, if Customer Learn programming is an available SKIS feature in the market where the vehicle was purchased, the customer can program the additional keys, as long as at least two valid Sentry Keys are already available.

The SKIS performs a self-test each time the ignition switch is turned to the On position, and will store fault information in the form of Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s) if a system malfunction is detected. The SKIS can be diagnosed, and any stored DTC’s can be retrieved using a DRBIII scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - SENTRY KEY TRANSPONDER PROGRAMMING
All Sentry Keys included with the vehicle are preprogrammed to work with the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) when it is shipped from the factory. The Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) can be programmed to recognize up to a total of eight Sentry Keys. When programming a blank Sentry Key transponder, the key must first be cut to match the ignition switch lock cylinder in the vehicle for which it will be used. Once the additional or new key has been cut, the SKIM must be programmed to recognize it as a valid key. There are two possible methods to program the SKIM to recognize a new or additional valid key, the Secured Access Method and the Customer Learn Method. Following are the details of these two programming methods.

SECURED ACCESS METHOD
The Secured Access method applies to all vehicles. This method requires the use of a DRBIII scan tool. This method will also require that you have access to the unique four-digit PIN code that was assigned to the original SKIM. The PIN code must be used to enter the Secured Access Mode in the SKIM. This PIN number may be obtained from the vehicle owner, from the original vehicle invoice, or from the DaimlerChrysler Customer Center. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information for the proper Secured Access method programming procedures.

CUSTOMER LEARN METHOD
The Customer Learn feature is only available on domestic vehicles, or those vehicles which have a U.S. country code designator. This programming method also requires access to at least two valid Sentry Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, or if the vehicle does not have a U.S. country code designator, the Secured Access Method must be used to program new or additional valid keys to the SKIM.

1. The Customer Learn programming method procedures are as follows:
    Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that are to be programmed as valid keys for the vehicle. Cut the blank key(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder mechanical key codes.​
  2. Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the On position.​
  3. After the ignition switch has been in the On position for longer than three seconds, but no more than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the Off position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition switch lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the On position. The second valid Sentry Key must be inserted in the lock cylinder within fifteen seconds of removing the first valid key.​
  4. About ten seconds after the completion of Step 3, the SKIS indicator in the instrument cluster will start to flash and a single audible chime will sound to indicate that the system has entered the Customer Learn programming mode.​
  5. Within sixty seconds of entering the Customer Learn programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the Off position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the On position.​
  6. About ten seconds after the completion of Step 5, a single audible chime will sound and the SKIS indicator will stop flashing, stay on solid for three seconds, then turn off to indicate that the blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will immediately exit the Customer Learn programming mode and the vehicle may now be started using the newly programmed valid Sentry Key. Each of these steps must be repeated and completed in their entirety for each additional Sentry Key that is to be programmed. If the above steps are not completed in the given sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKIS will exit the Customer Learn programming mode and the programming will be unsuccessful. The SKIS will also automatically exit the Customer Learn programming mode if it sees a non-blank Sentry Key transponder when it should see a blank, if it has already programmed eight (8) valid Sentry Keys, or if the ignition switch is turned to the Off position for more than about fifty seconds.​
NOTE: If an attempt is made to start the vehicle while in the Customer Learn mode (SKIS indicator flashing), the SKIS will respond as though the vehicle were being started with an invalid key. In other words, the engine will stall after about two seconds of operation. No faults will be set.

NOTE: Once a Sentry Key has been programmed as a valid key to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed as a valid key for use on any other vehicle.
I have an 06 Wrangler 4.0 Sport 6spd manual, if I replace the PCM with a new one (Mopar of course), will my transponder keys still work?

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I have an 06 Wrangler 4.0 Sport 6spd manual, if I replace the PCM with a new one (Mopar of course), will my transponder keys still work?
Good morning gentlemen,

There are no oem pcms available from Mopar. The skim function of the pcm comes disabled from us is activated upon first crank with the sentry key.

2003 Jeep TJ Sahara, 4.0, Manual, mostly original.

Reviving this thread again. Sorry. I had a very similar experience to @Nickgsjeep 's friend. My TJ was about two blocks from it's prior location. I still can't figure out how they even got that far.

My doors look exactly the same. Unfortunately, the thieves smashed by ignition cylinder with a rock. Busted the cylinder, the part of the steering column that holds the cylinder, and bent over the SKIM antenna.

I can start the Jeep for 2-3 seconds as expected when the SKIS activates, and the dash icon illuminates. I tried straightening out the antenna - the wires don't appear broken, but this doesn't help. @mrblaine suggested in one post that the PCM might need a reboot. Could that be the problem? Can I reboot by disconnecting the battery?

I'm guessing I need to replace the steering column. I found one with a SKIM attached and two keys, but I haven't bought it yet. Assuming my SKIM is broken beyond repair, can I pair the SKIM on the replacement column to my PCM? If not, what are my options?

Thanks for any help! First post BTW. I've spent many hours researching and this thread is the best with the absolute best contributors. Thanks!

• USA Proud
Reactions: Wranglerfix