Skyjacker Black Max or Rancho RS5000X shocks?

FultonD33

TJ Enthusiast
I am looking to upgrade my suspension next year and am doing my research beforehand. I will be going with the Currie 4" kit to replace my 2.5" ROUGH Country lift on my 06 LJ. The two shocks I have seen recommended are the Rancho RS5000X and Skyjacker Black Max. I am up to trying either one and maybe both. I just wonder how these will stack up for an LJ vs a TJ. Since they are soft shocks on a TJ will they be mushy on an LJ? Which is softer the Rancho or Skyjacker?

I’ve owned both shocks. The black maxes are softer than the Ranchos. I prefer the black max on my Jeep. I’m runnng 4 inch Currie springs. My jeeps pretty light but I do have a winch and swing away tire carrier with a 35. I do throw a cooler in the back and camping gear and the black maxes seem to be fine. They seem to absorb the sharp bumps really well but are about the same as the Ranchos on larger bumps as far as harshness goes.

I have a 3" lift on my LJ. Originally, I installed the gas shocks that BDS supplied. My Jeep rode rough. I replaced those shocks with Rancho 5000X shocks and noticed a big improvement in the ride.

I have no experience with Skyjacker shocks.

The LJ actually has less weight on the rear axle than a TJ so it calls for a softer shock, unless you use the extra space for a bunch of heavy stuff.

I've had the same rs5000x on both a TJ and lj (not just the same model, but the same actual shocks) - they felt perfect under the TJ but the rear is stiff in the LJ unless I'm actually wheeling and have some gear in the back.

The LJ actually has less weight on the rear axle than a TJ so it calls for a softer shock, unless you use the extra space for a bunch of heavy stuff.

I've had the same rs5000x on both a TJ and lj (not just the same model, but the same actual shocks) - they felt perfect under the TJ but the rear is stiff in the LJ unless I'm actually wheeling and have some gear in the back.
That is interesting. I have the super heavy hardtop so maybe that would make a difference as well. Probably gonna try the black max first or maybe just order both and test them out.

That is interesting. I have the super heavy hardtop so maybe that would make a difference as well. Probably gonna try the black max first or maybe just order both and test them out.

could be. They didn't annoy me as much before I sold my hard top and went to a soft top.

What I’ve seen mentioned about the ranchos is that the front is fine but the rear of the Jeep is too light for them, which I agree with. The rear always felt like it was bouncing around (not bump steer) until I had a couple people back there, then the rear rode beautifully. I’m trying the Skyjacker ones in the next couple months.

I've had both. Before I got rid of a ton of weight on my TJ the ranchos we're nice. After a reduction of weight the ranchos we're really stiff.

The BMs are much softer with lower weight.

Reactions: Jamison C
I've had both. Before I got rid of a ton of weight on my TJ the ranchos we're nice. After a reduction of weight the ranchos we're really stiff.

The BMs are much softer with lower weight.
I bought the Rancho RS5000x and they are mush softer than the shocks on there when I bought it. I may try the Black Max shocks in the future.

I currently run the rancho 5000x on my lj with a 3 inch terflex lift. The teraflex shocks that were on the jeep when I bought it were too long and bottomed out a lot after a day of wheeling.

Ranchos seem much better for my lj but I'm running a full 35 spare on my tailgate and decently heavy trail gear rear bumper. I think it rides really nice and have been happy with them.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low