California Slick Rock Deer Valley 5-22 to 5-23

I wish I had taken a picture of Todd's JL Rubicon with the cracked hard top from his Gobi Rack for others. That seams to be a poor design when doing that trail caused his hard to top crack in two places w/o hitting a object. :mad:
That was really odd. I've always heard Gobi is the "go to" in racks but clearly they have a design flaw in the JLU version. He had weight up there but significantly less then a roof top tent that many use that system for.

If you hear anything from him after he calls Gobi post it up. I'm curious if they'll stand behind it or push it off as user/install error.

Reactions: Plumber1
Nice photos. The pictures at least make the water crossing look easier this year than when I took the trail last year. However, photos can be deceiving?

Reactions: D M
Nice photos. The pictures at least make the water crossing look easier this year than when I took the trail last year. However, photos can be deceiving?
No the water is lower and it did seam easier than it has been in the past. But there is now a BIG root you have to climb over when you go up getting out of the creek than can be a booger. Since your tires are wet and the root is slick it makes for a bit of fun.

Reactions: D M and Alex01
That was really odd. I've always heard Gobi is the "go to" in racks but clearly they have a design flaw in the JLU version. He had weight up there but significantly less then a roof top tent that many use that system for.

If you hear anything from him after he calls Gobi post it up. I'm curious if they'll stand behind it or push it off as user/install error.
I am going to also post this in the Gen. section I know that it's a TJ Forum but I also know like you others also have JL's or JK's just to see if anyone has seen this before.

For others these pictures were taken this weekend in my buddy's JL he is running a Gobi Roof Rack. You can see that his hard top cracked in two places. The only thing we can think of that the Gobi Rack has bolts with rubber pads that tighten against the top. And that during some flexing on the trail it caused the fiberglass hard top to crack. He did not hit anything like a tree that caused this to happen, so this is our only explanation. Has anyone else ever seen this before? if so let me know

Resized_Resized_20210522_141346.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20210522_141351.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20210522_141343-2.jpeg

Gobi.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: D M and Alex01
I am going to also post this in the Gen. section I know that it's a TJ Forum but I also know like you others also have JL's or JK's just to see if anyone has seen this before.

For others these pictures were taken this weekend in my buddy's JL he is running a Gobi Roof Rack. You can see that his hard top cracked in two places. The only thing we can think of that the Gobi Rack has bolts with rubber pads that tighten against the top. And that during some flexing on the trail it caused the fiberglass hard top to crack. He did not hit anything like a tree that caused this to happen, so this is our only explanation. Has anyone else ever seen this before? if so let me know

View attachment 254517

View attachment 254518

View attachment 254519

View attachment 254528
I did find this on a different forum, not exact same case as yours since they mounted the rack to the hardtop by drilling holes, but it cracked in the same area
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...aler-jeep-cares-refuses-to-warranty-it.63209/
and a jk one without any roof racks cracked in the same place
https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/cracked-hard-top.2400028/

Reactions: D M