California Slick Rock / Deer Valley Trail July 18-19th

Approximately how long would you say the trail takes? It looks like the drive back to the start is roughly 1.5hrs.

If time allows there is always the option of running both directions.

Alternatively, we could run deer valley day 1 since it seems like it's the more time consuming of the two.

@Midnight LJR from what I can find online slick rock takes around 2-4hrs depending on pace. Does that sound accurate?

That is accurate but I would say it’s much more towards the 4 hour side of that with the 2 new obstacles.

Reactions: Alex01
That is accurate but I would say it’s much more towards the 4 hour side of that with the 2 new obstacles.
Maybe it makes sense to swap the days around.... Clearly we still have time to decide what to do, perhaps in the morning others will chime in.

According to the following https://myoffroadradio.com/deer-valley-4x4-jeep-trail-review/ South to the north - 4-88 is the more difficult direction. If this is the case I wouldn't be opposed to running it back in lieu of taking the road back if others were interested. (we can make that choice on the trail)

Approximately how long would you say the trail takes? It looks like the drive back to the start is roughly 1.5hrs.

If time allows there is always the option of running both directions.

Alternatively, we could run deer valley day 1 since it seems like it's the more time consuming of the two.

@Midnight LJR from what I can find online slick rock takes around 2-4hrs depending on pace. Does that sound accurate?
It took about 3 hours to do the trail and the drive back was about a hour 20

Reactions: Alex01
Is this still happening? Where is everyone camping / meeting up? If I can finish the maintenance on my jeep from the hell hole trip I may have to crash this party.
I will be there. I believe @Plumber1 pointed out that deer valley trail is shut down so we'll need to come up with another plan for day 2. I don't think any camp grounds are open right now, could be wrong, so camping out along slickrock somewhere may be a good idea. I'm not familiar with the area though so do you guys more knowledge of the area have any ideas?

I'll be there Friday evening and camp somewhere till Sunday.

I checked all the campgrounds online and they are all reserved already. So we will have to find a spot ... Hopefully by the creek.

I'm open to do whatever on day 2.

I'll be there Friday evening and camp somewhere till Sunday.

I checked all the campgrounds online and they are all reserved already. So we will have to find a spot ... Hopefully by the creek.

I'm open to do whatever on day 2.
Are you bringing the rv or camping out of the jeep?

Camping out of Jeep with family. RV spots are all booked and my RV is 32 feet long so can't squeeze it easily at most spots.
While unfortunate you can't bring the rv that does open up the options.
Awesome. That was one capable rig. @tomtaylz you can be truck #2.

Reactions: Indy
I will take a drive up to the entrance of the DV trial from the Hwy 4 side tomorrow and report back. There looks to be several campsites that are open. There is another shorter trail called Sour Grass that goes out of Dorrington.
A group from here went on this trail last month

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/stanislaus/home
Hermit Valley is at the start of DV trail on the hwy 4 side no hook ups
Utica is at the south end of SR trail
Lake Alpine is at the north end of SR trail I don't think you will any openings here
Big Meadow is close to SR

CampgroundStatus
Big Meadow Campground$19.00 per night fee charged; no water service; first come, first served
Lake Alpine complex
Including Silver Tip, West Shore, Pine Marten, Silver Valley and Backpackers campgrounds
$30 per night fee charged,
Reservations only at www.recreation.gov
Bloomfield Campground$12 per night fee charged; first come, first served
Hermit Valley CampgroundNo fee, first come, first served
Highland Lakes Campground$12 per night fee charged; no water service; first come, first served
Mosquito Lakes Campground$8 per night fee charged; no water service; first come, first served
Pacific Valley Campground$10 per night fee charged;no water service; first come, first served
Sand Flat CampgroundNo fee, first come, first served
Spicer Campground$30 per night fee charged; first come, first served
Stanislaus River Campground$19 per night fee charged; no water service; first come, first served
Union East Campground$16 per night fee charged; first come, first served
Utica - Sandy Flat Campground$16 per night fee charged, first come, first served
Utica - Rocky Point$16 per night fee charged, first come, first served
Waka Lu Hep Yo$20 per night fee charged; no water service; first come, first served

Deer valley is open as of today
95D21063-1E06-4CEB-B81C-6069219B6A96.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Alex01 and Indy
Could run Alpine to a Utica Day 1 Camp at Utica lots of Dispersed Camping and good swimming and jumping rocks. Then run back the other way the next day. Utica to Alpine is harder so will be fun for day two and the obstacles have a cool different feel when switching directions.

Could run Alpine to a Utica Day 1 Camp at Utica lots of Dispersed Camping and good swimming and jumping rocks. Then run back the other way the next day. Utica to Alpine is harder so will be fun for day two and the obstacles have a cool different feel when switching directions.
Sound like Deer Valley takes roughly 3-5hrs depending on stops.

I'll be heading to the trail from Truckee again so I'll likely pass you guys on the way to bear valley for fuel.

I'm assuming this means dumping Slickrock so I guess we'll need to plan a Slickrock trip after the outboard then.

Sound like Deer Valley takes roughly 3-5hrs depending on stops.

I'll be heading to the trail from Truckee again so I'll likely pass you guys on the way to bear valley for fuel.

I'm assuming this means dumping Slickrock so I guess we'll need to plan a Slickrock trip after the outboard then.

Yeah means the opposite right?

Someone said deer valley was closed so I figured we could do a double Slick Rock?

If Deer Valley is open we can totally do both. I can try to call the ranger station when I get back in town.

Edit: look below just saw Deer valley is open.