California Slick Rock / Deer Valley Trail July 18-19th

I’m tentative on this now. We fired a driver so I’m back training Tuesday Thursday Saturday.
I got this Saturday off to head to JB’s so IDK if I can sweet talk the boss enough to make it

• Sad
Reactions: DrDmoney
Scratch that, just saw this.

Let’s stick with the plan to do both!

Although harder to plan with trailers, who is towing for sure again?
Cool.

If @Daryl still plans to go I would assume he's towing up. Unless my jeep isn't driving right I plan to drive it to the trail.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Well I should be down for this, but my knowledge of the area is minimal at best. I can head up Friday evening or Saturday morning just need a location, POC, and a time window. address or GPS coordinates I can do either and i am assuming 35's should be enough to run these trails

Well I should be down for this, but my knowledge of the area is minimal at best. I can head up Friday evening or Saturday morning just need a location, POC, and a time window. address or GPS coordinates I can do either and i am assuming 35's should be enough to run these trails

You can run it on 33's no problem. Although, they changed the entrance section on the Lake Alpine side, and I've heard it to be a bit sporty.

Scratch that, just saw this.

Let’s stick with the plan to do both!

Although harder to plan with trailers, who is towing for sure again?
Cool.

If @Daryl still plans to go I would assume he's towing up. Unless my jeep isn't driving right I plan to drive it to the trail.
Yes, I’ll be towing. Let me know if you find a place to park a pickup & trailer.

Looks like this is the list of people that committed at one point.
@Alex01
@Midnight LJR
@U8MYDZT
@Daryl
@Lonewolf
@DrDmoney
@Thunderhead
@Indy
@Gone-N-Done-It

I suppose it's time we figure out exactly what we want to do. The way I see it is that we have a few options.

Pick your top 2 choices (in order) and whichever gets the most votes by tomorrow night we'll stick to. Any option works for me.

Option 1:

Day 1- Deer Valley South (highway4) to North – camp

Day 2- Deer Valley South – leave

Option 2:

Day 1- Deer valley South (highway4) to North lunch turn around and camp near the southern trailhead

Day 2- Slickrock – Leave

Option 3:

Day 1: Meet at Upper Blue lakes – North side of Deer Valley – camp at Slickrock

Day 2: finish Slick rock

Option 4:

Day 1: Run Slickrock – camp

Day 2: Run Deer Valley South to North. (either head out on the road or turn around and go north to south)

Im open to any of those but I prefer option 4 or 3. the bluelakes campground has trailer parking and is somewhat more secure than just a spot on highway 4. and I have secure parking in pollock pines if anyone wants to stash a tow rig/trailer there but its still a hour from the trailhead

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01 and Daryl
Anything that makes it easier for people who are towing. All options are good in my book.

Reactions: Daryl
Ok I did make the drive up to DV this afternoon and it is indeed open.

Just a thought for camping, if you camp on the Hwy 4 side you can do DV on Saturday and when you get to the end turn around and do the trail in reverse or take the hwy back to 4. Doing it this way you can set up camp on Friday, wheel on Saturday and come back to camp. Then get up Sunday morning and do SR and not have to tear down camp until your done doing SR.

Doing it this way you only set up camp once. Also doing SR on Sunday it takes a lot less time than doing DV so you would be able to start heading home earlier in the day.

Reactions: Alex01
@Alex01
@Midnight LJR
@U8MYDZT
@Daryl
@Lonewolf
@DrDmoney
@Thunderhead
@Indy
@Gone-N-Done-It

I suppose it's time we figure out exactly what we want to do. The way I see it is that we have a few options.

Pick your top 2 choices (in order) and whichever gets the most votes by tomorrow night we'll stick to. Any option works for me.

Option 1:

Option 2:

Day 1- Deer valley South (highway4) to North lunch turn around and camp near the southern trailhead

Day 2- Slickrock – Leave

Option 3:

Option 4:

Day 2: Run Deer Valley South to North. (either head out on the road or turn around and go north to south)

I like option 3, all the others are basically equal for me after that and will all he fun.

Last edited:
@Alex01
@Midnight LJR
@U8MYDZT
@Daryl
@Lonewolf
@DrDmoney
@Thunderhead
@Indy
@Gone-N-Done-It

Option 1:

Option 2:

Day 2- Slickrock – Leave

Option 3:

Option 4:

Put me down for Saturday trail

So what’s the consensus? Start at Blue Lakes, run DV north to south, run SR, camp, and then run DV south to north and then home.

I just talked with mike. Lets just meet at the slick rock trailhead at 9am saturday. We'll see how the day goes and either camp near slickrock or somewhere off DV.

I just talked with mike. Lets just meet at the slick rock trailhead at 9am saturday. We'll see how the day goes and either camp near slickrock or somewhere off DV.

Yup, the Utica Resevoir trailhead. There is clear signage leading to the trailhead.

Correct.
4544080A-345F-4B5E-8ECC-3E3590ED957E.jpeg

Reactions: Indy