Slight engine knock at idle on 98 TJ 4.0

olperry29

Hi everyone new to the jeep forum. I have a 98 jeep wrangler with 77k miles and have a slight engine noise at idle that i can hear in the cab but outside i cannot here it. When i accelerate is seems to go away any ideas? oil pressure is above the first line at idle and goes above 40 while driving.

More than likely it’s the very common exhaust leak or lifter tick.

i though so to but it sounds for internal and it doesnt have a tick it more of a knock. checked the oil this morning and levels are fine

i will try to take a video today not to great with tech haha it is not a load noise i might be very anal with a jeep that is 21 years old. it does have a rear main seal leak but i checked oil and levels are good. i drive this on the road daily and wheel it pretty hard on the weekends.

These straight 6's are very common to have a slight knock or tick. All of them. The Ford 300, Chrysler 225, the Nissan and Porsche are even known for a slight knock at idle. If you have good pressure and the engine runs strong then I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it gets loud or stays throughout the RPM range then I would look for a cure. Think of it as your engine saying hello.