Slip Yoke Dripping ATF

LarryTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
@Jerry Bransford or anyone familiar with similar issue. Hey Jerry, After wheeling on Fins and Things followed by Hells Revenge (so about 4-5 hours running between 4L & 4H) I noticed a small ATF drip coming from the slip yoke (see attached photo). I have no visual signs of ATF on the skid (its bone dry). Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Larry

IMG_7492.jpg

I'm not Jerry but I don't see fluid coming from the rear seal..I do see the dampness on the tub above which makes me think its grease being flung up there not atf

Reactions: SvtLdr
I'm not Jerry but I don't see fluid coming from the rear seal..I do see the dampness on the tub above which makes me think its grease being flung up there not atf
On the trail while stopped there were 4-5 drips below on the rock and than noticed a droplet hanging from the yoke. Color was reddish.

On the trail while stopped there were 4-5 drips below on the rock and than noticed a droplet hanging from the yoke. Color was reddish.
It looks pretty clean already but I would hose it down and let it dry and see if it is indeed the rear seal leaking. Thankfully no matter what its a pretty easy fix

Reactions: LarryTJ
I agree with what was posted above about thoroughly wiping down the affected areas, driving the Jeep again for a couple days and then inspect the area for signs of leakage. Even though the seal for the yoke does not appear to show signs of leakage; the ATF may be coming thru the output shaft splines. A small dab of RTV or similar sealant is supposed to be applied to the splines prior to installation of the yoke.

Reactions: Ephry73 and SvtLdr
I agree with what was posted above about thoroughly wiping down the affected areas, driving the Jeep again for a couple days and then inspect the area for signs of leakage. Even though the seal for the yoke does not appear to show signs of leakage; the ATF may be coming thru the output shaft splines. A small dab of RTV or similar sealant is supposed to be applied to the splines prior to installation of the yoke.
Is the hole depicted on the attached the hole I need to plug? Info. Zero leaks street driving from this location.

yoke.jpg

Same thing happened to me. Yoke nut was loose. Remove the driveshaft and make sure it's not loose. Doesn't take long.