Slow and Steady

PStov98TJ

TJ Enthusiast
I got my TJ in November of 2008. A 1998, Stone White, SE with 55,000 miles on it. No back seat, no center console, and no carpet. But it had 31" tires and a radio, so I was a happy camper. It originally came with a white soft top, which I'm told that less than 200 were made with my configuration in '98 making it a pretty unique jeep. Unfortunately, the top was dry rot and had to be replaced shortly after I bought the jeep. I also wasn't big on taking pictures when I first got it and only have some pictures in my driveway after replacing the top and taking it offroad for the first time.
C36FDACA-4FD1-4844-A608-13A745700EE6_zpsur5xr2yc.jpg

789891A5-77E5-496E-A9BA-7C4A96A83405_zpse4mrqvjv.jpg

I will later learn that mud not only gets on the outside, but in every crevice waiting for the moment it can fall into your eyes as you're working on it. Not that it stopped me from enjoying my jeep, I just made sure to avoid the real nasty stuff, because I also wanted my jeep to last me for a long time.

After a few years of enjoying my jeep, the mod bug bit me and I started to get a plan together for a lift. I decided on a 2.5" OME lift and some other bells and whistles like new bumpers and such.
IMG_1011_zps09772cba.jpg

IMG_1008_zps1e9fd02c.jpg

null_zpscab8da5a.jpg

I also added a tire carrier from TheDirtWorx. Not sure if he's still in the business, but if you need a tire carrier and you're on a budget, I can't recommend him enough. Here's a write up I did on mine: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/thedirtworx-tire-carrier-review.381/

Also, somewhere in here I bedlined the inside of my tub. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the process, but I can say that Monstaliner is good stuff.

Those mods kept me happy for a while along with some intermittent tinkering. Then I started becoming more conscious of the modifications I was looking into and getting a little more serious about spending my money in areas that would improve offroad and overall function. Cue more money spent (Jeep - Just Empty Every Pocket right?).

I decided I wanted to ditch my front bumper because it stuck out way too far from the frame for my liking (shameless plug: I still have it and will sell it for a smoking deal). I wanted a lightweight bumper that sucked in tight to the frame. After looking at my options, the Metalcloak aluminum bumper fit my needs perfectly. Man is that thing light! Best part is, it acts as the winch plate which equals even more weight savings up front. I found a Warn xd9000i on craigslist for $300 and replaced the steel cable with some synthetic line from 4LowParts both for peace of mind and weight savings. It came with the TRE safety thimble which I highly recommend. It's a stupid simple design that @mrblaine had a hand in designing. It's intention is to maximize safety and strength, and it does just that.
Winch before I cleaned it up (can't complain considering what I paid for it):
24DBAFFC-000A-4162-A8F1-FAFC17C6A2DB_zpszxbg6cgd.jpg

New coat of paint and installed on the bumper with new line:
D28D4B4A-9404-4A5C-B98C-30A1964CAFC1_zpsl8e1cklv.jpg

As you can see, the MC bumper really hugs the frame:
C4F8FF72-E36B-4BBE-88ED-9752CA3F1F38_zpsdpnjbsn2.jpg

I still need to slap the stickers on it. Shoutout to Warn customer service for shipping a full set of replacement decals free of charge.
Also, a good idea for anyone buying the MC bumper with a stock sway bar - keep the plastic cover that goes over the sway bar and mounts so they remain covered up. I had to hack mine up pretty good to fit behind the winch, but definitely worth it aesthetically to keep the mounts hidden. I also hit it with some flat black spray paint while it was off of the jeep so it wouldn't contrast poorly with the bumper.

During this time, I also installed some MC arched fenders. I have been impressed with them so far. One day, I might switch to true highlined fenders purely out of boredom, but definitely not anytime soon.
During the install:
E873EE82-759B-427A-BF6F-3C0CB6930A71_zpstctyx93m.jpg

After:
2BCEA4FB-F781-4304-B613-BE017C0201FC_zpsy4svgg2h.jpg

The last mod I've done up to date is add some aux reverse lights. Surprisingly, these gave me the most trouble of any mod I've done. Not that it's a super hard task. I understand basic wiring and even drew up the circuit myself that included a relay. It was just a lesson of trying to do too much too fast. But I eventually got them on and they work great. Bright as hell and only cost me ~$45 if I recall correctly. Wired them so they come on when the jeep is in reverse but also to a switch on the dash.
CADB9254-FDF2-4679-A706-103AD9904BE5_zpsesqc7klm.jpg

With that said, I believe I have covered the highlights. A lot more work has gone into it than what has been posted here like checking clearances on the front end for hours, maintenance, general tinkering, and those projects that are supposed to take 4 hours that end up taking 6. But it has all been worth it so far.

As far as future mods go (and these are in no particular order): I'll be getting some 30 spline Revolution axle shafts and a selectable locker for the rear from the guys at @4LowParts , possibly an Aussie locker upfront and will likely upgrade to Revolution shafts as well, re-gear to 4.88, tummy tuck, JB Conversions Super Short SYE, Savvy control arms all around, Currie antirock up front, steering upgrades, CB radio at some point for shits and giggles, headlight upgrade, and Savvy corner guards. And who knows, if I ever learn how to weld, a 4 link will definitely be in the cards.

Thanks to anyone who read through all of my rambling. If you have any questions about anything I've done so far or plan to do feel free to ask. Also, if you'd like to see any other pictures I'll do my best to get those posted up.

Last edited:
As for my next purchase...well it's already been made. I'll be receiving some Savvy rocker guards and sliders early next week. I called Gerald today at Savvy Offroad just to ask a question about the sliders and all I can say is, that guy lives up to his reputation. Customer service was top notch. If you're thinking about buying Savvy products, stop thinking and pull the trigger on it.

With that said, if anyone has any tips for installing them please feel free to let me know. I will have to modify them slightly to fit over/around my fenders. My main concern is I'm not sure of the best way to trim the aluminum base. It obviously has different qualities than steel, and I'd like to not screw up my brand new sliders before they even see a trail.

Wow, talk about having come a long ways!

You might have the only TJ I've seen thus far with those style fenders that I actually like! They look good, but it's probably because the arch in them I think.

Wow, talk about having come a long ways!

You might have the only TJ I've seen thus far with those style fenders that I actually like! They look good, but it's probably because the arch in them I think.
With only 2.5" of lift and 33" MTR's, I was robbing myself of wheel travel. My shocks had more up travel in them, but I had to bumpstop the suspension to prevent damaging my stock fenders and new tires. The MC fenders give me the extra clearance I need to use the full capabilities of my lift.

I appreciate the compliment as well. I like to think it's the little things that make them more tolerable like keeping the little extra fender flare extension in front of the side step and also having a front bumper that follows the narrow line they give to the front end. Like I said above, I try my best to always put function over form. But if a part has both function and form, well that's icing on the cake. I know they're not everyone's favorite, and some people feel pretty strongly about that. I went back and forth on getting the arched or "overline" fenders. Probably over thought it. Then one day I happened to see another jeep with arched fenders on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and it sold me on the arched fenders.

Last edited:
Reactions: JP13
I think the arched fenders look a lot better, and it's probably because you don't see them all the time.

I agree, those fenders give you the extra clearance you need. I really wish AEV still made their highline lift, because then I could keep the stock fender look, but have all that extra clearance.

I love the look of the stock fender flares, but I totally get the need for functionality over form. Sometimes I lean that way too.

There is something to be said for being unique haha

That was a sweet kit. Definitely would have considered it if it was still on the market.

Sometimes I lean a little too hard to the function side...like when I decided to bedline the tub and throw away all of the carpet I had installed. Jeep is a little louder, and gets a little toasty around the trans tunnel on long drives. But I don't regret it and I still wouldn't consider putting carpet back in, at least not right now.

Thanks! I'm absolutely a fan of the half door. Being able to take the windows on and off, and having a lighter door overall is nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
Looking good! Just don't let @mrblaine see you running those shackles on the street :D
I know! I actually cringe a little when I put some of these pictures up. I admittedly ran them on the street for a while until I learned better. Now they sit nice and pretty in my center console with my winch controller. I don't have to worry about theft much around here, but I'd hate to lose one in traffic on accident, and I'm sure the car behind me would as well.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Y'all are some wise guys huh?
I'm just kidding. But in all seriousness, I'd probably add chrome accessories before I ever put angry eyes on my jeep.

That front bumper need a Antirock sway bar to complete the look.
I agree the antirock would complete the look on the front end, as well as do away with the stiff front bar. I just wish I had the cash for the aluminum arms. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford it at the time, and I needed something light to mount my winch too and I needed better clearance for the tires.

Last edited:
Speaking of looks, aesthetically, what do y'all think about coating for the Savvy rocker base? I either want to clear coat it, paint it black to match the steel slider, or try to color match it white with the body.

Also, if anyone knows anything about cutting/trimming/hole sawing into aluminum, drop me a line here or in a PM. I want to make sure I don't completely mar the base while trying to make it play nice with the front fender.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would do the Savvy rocker base in black. I only say that because I really like the way black and white go together.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
And leave the slider step aluminum. It'll hide the scratches better from climbing in and out of the jeep.

And leave the slider step aluminum. It'll hide the scratches better from climbing in and out of the jeep.
The base, the part that goes up against the jeep, is aluminum. The slider/step is steel so leaving it bare isn't an option. Although I do agree that if it was all aluminum, it would be sweet to just clear coat the slider.

Reactions: Chris