Small or mini amp for my TJ, any suggestions?

WSS

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Any good choices for small or mini footprint amps? I have a Pioneer avic600 (I think it is 25w per channel) deck and 6 rockford fosgate speakers. It sounds good but a small 2 or 4 channel amp might be helpful.

Thanks!

this is what ive been using for a while now.
https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/t400x4ad/its tiny compared to the last amp i had.
IMG_20200922_183521.jpg

IMG_20200922_203002.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WSS
I am using Kenwood KAC-M1814. Its a 4 channel amp I am using to power the dash speakers and sound bar speakers. I went with it because of its small dimensions and I could easily mount it under the steering column and out of the way.

IMG_9261.jpg

IMG_9259.jpg

Currently running the Alpine Micro Pack Amp - this thing pumps out sound, is shocking clear (Class D tech has come a long way), is small and works flawlessly.

Reactions: jboswell11
The above alpine amp is great. I have mine mounted behind the instrument panel. I have a small 500w amp under the steering column for a subwoofer amp.

The alpine amp is exceptionally great if you have an alpine headunit as it is all plug and play.

Will these alpine micro amps work with my Pioneer deck?
There are a few options for them - just make sure you get the one that doesn't have the pre-wired harness... I got mine for a smoking deal (open box) and it works fantastic. I did run a dedicated wire to the glove box for 12V+ (it doesn't need an incredibly large one).

There are a few options for them - just make sure you get the one that doesn't have the pre-wired harness... I got mine for a smoking deal (open box) and it works fantastic. I did run a dedicated wire to the glove box for 12V+ (it doesn't need an incredibly large one).
Did you put it in the glove box or behind it (by the fuse block)?

Did you put it in the glove box or behind it (by the fuse block)?
See comment #4 above for a photo - I used some 3/4" plywood and a few pieces of scrap angle iron to mount it under the steering column. Makes for a nice short run for the RCA cables and I tied the speaker wires back into the factory harness...

Damn I need to think about going to a smaller amp.... Give me some room back in my drawer.

IMGP0357.jpg

IMGP0358.jpg

IMGP0356.jpg

• Wow
I found a local guy who seem sto know about off road sound. He recommends a JL audio amp due to it's durability in harsh conditions.

This is what he is suggesting:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-BovvcHc8bN7/p_13698361/JL-Audio-JD400-4.html
He has it on hand brand new for $220 What do you guys think?

edit, it is 10 x 7.5 inches
i had the older JX400/4D couple years back.
the front gain pot went bad in it and blew up my driver side front speaker with what seemed like full gain.
i was stopped at a light at the time thankfully, scared the bejeezus out of me.

sounded great while it worked.